• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What's it going to take to beat Wisconsin

Paramus

No deep balls, that requires a long time in the pocket, does not play to our strength in online and puts us behind the chains.

No, we want to look like we did at Illinois, throw on rhythm, ball out soon, giving our line a chance to keep Tanner clean, get 7-15 yards, move the chains, control the clock, score.

I'd say that is about right. But let's not forget the run game. Maybe we can come out and force a punishing run game against them. I am sure our RBs would be up for it. They are some tough guys. Can we get the O-line into that mindset as well?

Yep, with Lee being so immobile, to avoid sacks the pass game will require some quick releases or throwing time bought with play action passes enabled by an effective running game.

Main thing is for Lee to avoid errors/turnovers. He has to be OK with throwing the ball away sometimes & maybe taking some sacks.

Its funny; Back in the I-bone days Husker fans never gave a second thought about pass protection.

what_happened_logo_by_summersole.jpg

Last edited:
Wisky will score some points but I think our D will hold it's side. Play on the offensive side will decide it and that will be (1) O-line run blocking, (2) O-line pass bocking and (3) TL keeping his head about him, all against a very good D. Oh and I throw the pass protection by the running backs on blitzes and tight ends in there as well, which has been uneven.

If Cavanaugh is a good coach, this would be the game to show it, not the week after or any later in the season. This has always been going to be the most important game of the season.

These guys need to play their assignments, communicate so there are no unblocked rushers, and fight like hell.

If they do we'll win.

Last edited:

Agree. The short passing passing game was perfect for Lee and helped sustain 4 long drives of 80 yards or more

Bingo. Except for a little play aciton if/when our running game is working, the short game is all I wanna see the rest of the year.

Last edited:
I dont necessarily think the Huskers need to play a "perfect game" to beat Wisconsin. The badgers are good not great, and are definitely beatable. I believe turnovers will likely be the key in this one. There's no way we beat Wisconsin if TL throws multiple picks or if we fumble 4 times. We need to protect the football and play sound defense, and it could likely come down to the final possession again. What say you?
Hustle and extreme effort. Wisconsin doesn't beat anyone with talent...they simply out-will their opponents.

You could flip what you wrote and say the same thing about Wisconsin in return for the most part. Oh and no bombs use the short passing game and pick them part with that and the running game

From what I have seen, Wisconsin has a better chance than us to take pressure off their QB with the running game. Also, Wisconsin's QB is much more mobile than ours and UW's O-line might be better at executing pass protection than ours.

On top of that, UW can put pressure on a QB with a 4-man rush better than we can.

When Stoltenburg is in the game, they should be able to pass effectively, because he can't offer a pass rush. It is a weakness we have and one that I am sure Wisconsin is prepared to exploit.

Diaco needs to dial up something special, because it will probably be hard for us to score on UW.

Last edited:
From what I have seen, I think Wisconsin has a better chance than us to take pressure off their QB with the running game. Also, Wisconsin's QB is much more mobile than ours and UW's O-line might be better at executing pass protection than ours.

When Stoltenburg is in the game, they should be able to pass effectively, because he can't offer a pass rush. It is a weakness we have and one that I am sure Wisconsin is prepared to exploit.

Diaco needs to dial up something special, because it will probably be hard for us to score on UW.

This is my #1 concern vs. Wisky. Can we score?

Their line play (including LBs) on both sides of the ball concerns me the most. If magically the Huskers up front can be as good or better than Wisconsin they have a good chance. Of course giveaways can ruin the party no matter how the bigs hold up.

This is my #1 concern vs. Wisky. Can we score?

UW had 8 sacks against Northwestern and Thorson is much more mobile than Lee. There were also plenty of QB hurries and plenty of the NW QB running for his life. On top of that, UW held Northwestern to only 25 yards rushing...and NW had last years B1G rushing leader, Justin Jackson.

If Lee has no time to make his throws and if we can't run the ball effectively, we may have to win the game with punt returns and pick sixes.

Will screens and draws do any good? I don't think they will. UW is too fast and clever for that. Quick 5 to 7 yard passes perfectly placed and timed is our best bet, unless we can find some running room.

UW gets a great pass rush with just 4 guys. Unfortunately, we can't. UW uses the 3/4 but I expect to see 4 down linemen most of the time.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back