• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What's it going to take to beat Wisconsin

Lavaman

Rebel Scum
10 Year Member
I dont necessarily think the Huskers need to play a "perfect game" to beat Wisconsin. The badgers are good not great, and are definitely beatable. I believe turnovers will likely be the key in this one. There's no way we beat Wisconsin if TL throws multiple picks or if we fumble 4 times. We need to protect the football and play sound defense, and it could likely come down to the final possession again. What say you?

If Wisconsin fields only 8 people on the side of the ball for Offense and Defense, then I think the Huskers have a shot to beat them. ;)

OK, sorry, was joking with my dad on that just now. Seriously, I think Nebraska stands a great chance to beat them. Wisconsin just played a very tough, and emotional game. Had to play all thru the game and was not decided until the last minute and on a play where Northwestern made a very foolish and costly mistake. They also have to travel to Lincoln, and Nebraska has an extra day of rest. So if the plan was ball control, pound the run game, short passes, screens, and a tight defense, I think Nebraska wins this one by at least a TD.

If they start throwing the ball all over the place and try to get something like 50 passes in a game, then Wisconsin will easily win.

If Wisconsin fields only 8 people on the side of the ball for Offense and Defense, then I think the Huskers have a shot to beat them. ;)

OK, sorry, was joking with my dad on that just now. Seriously, I think Nebraska stands a great chance to beat them. Wisconsin just played a very tough, and emotional game. Had to play all thru the game and was not decided until the last minute and on a play where Northwestern made a very foolish and costly mistake. They also have to travel to Lincoln, and Nebraska has an extra day of rest. So if the plan was ball control, pound the run game, short passes, screens, and a tight defense, I think Nebraska wins this one by at least a TD.

If they start throwing the ball all over the place and try to get something like 50 passes in a game, then Wisconsin will easily win.
The whole "x# of passes" thing is often a "chicken or egg" type thing. If NU passes 50 times it's likely they were down big most of the game. Not the other way around.

Regardless, to beat Wisco Lee is going to have to show something he hasn't yet. I think the D can do good enough. But they won't survive multiple int's and/or offense giving up points.

I'm confident our defense can keep us in the game.

I'm not confident our offense can keep the Wisky defense out of the endzone.

The whole "x# of passes" thing is often a "chicken or egg" type thing. If NU passes 50 times it's likely they were down big most of the game. Not the other way around.

Regardless, to beat Wisco Lee is going to have to show something he hasn't yet. I think the D can do good enough. But they won't survive multiple int's and/or offense giving up points.
Sorry, I should have been more specific. If the game plan is to just pass the ball all day, I was using the "50 times" as a very poor illustration of that, then I think Wisconsin wins big. I do not think Nebraska has a QB capable of being able to just pass and pass and pass, and pick apart defenses. If they have to pass because they are down so bad, then that is a different story.

I honestly think that Wisconsin will be "tired" and emotionally exhausted after this win against Northwestern, and the best way to beat them in Lincoln is to run, and wear them down. By the 4th quarter, Nebraska should be able to push them around

Last edited:

I agree with that, but I do think we need to run it a few more times even when the defense is stacking the box. We did this on Friday. The drive at the end was something I hadn't seen in quite some time. Running the clock out with first downs on the ground.
Adding to that, maybe the first 4 games that was our 'tell'. Put 6 or 7 in the box and Nebraska always passes.

I agree with that, but I do think we need to run it a few more times even when the defense is stacking the box. We did this on Friday. The drive at the end was something I hadn't seen in quite some time. Running the clock out with first downs on the ground.
Adding to that, maybe the first 4 games that was our 'tell'. Put 6 or 7 in the box and Nebraska always passes.
Im worried that we're not going to have much success on the ground initially, if at all. This might be a game that Lee needs to win.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. If the game plan is to just pass the ball all day, I was using the "50 times" as a very poor illustration of that, then I think Wisconsin wins big. I do not think Nebraska has a QB capable of being able to just pass and pass and pass, and pick apart defenses. If they have to pass because they are down so bad, then that is a different story.

I honestly think that Wisconsin will be "tired" and emotionally exhausted after this win against Northwestern, and the best way to beat them in Lincoln is to run, and wear them down. By the 4th quarter, Nebraska should be able to push them around
i doubt the game plan has ever been to pass all day

I dont necessarily think the Huskers need to play a "perfect game" to beat Wisconsin. The badgers are good not great, and are definitely beatable. I believe turnovers will likely be the key in this one. There's no way we beat Wisconsin if TL throws multiple picks or if we fumble 4 times. We need to protect the football and play sound defense, and it could likely come down to the final possession again. What say you?
Do not beat yourself. Turnovers, penalties, and field position will be the reasons why whoever is going to win wins.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back