• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What's it going to take to beat Wisconsin

Wisc will have the best defense we have seen by far. Lee and the o-line will have to play the best game of their life. LOTS of pressure on hornitoad

Last edited:

No stupid mistakes is a given. Lee can’t throw multiple interceptions and expect to win.

Defensively they have to keep doing what they have been doing, but better. They have to shut down their running game. They have to commit it it. They have to play aggressively on passing downs and try and force mistakes. They need to get after Hornibrook. Wisconsin has nice receivers but they aren’t as good as Oregon’s. Fumagali may not even play, but I wouldn’t count on it. Keep Wisconsin at 20 pats or less and they have a great chance of winning.

Offensively they have to be patient. That is what worries me, I don’t know if langsdorf can do that. Punting is not a bad way to end a drive. They need to be able to play B1G football. Field position run the ball safe passes. This would be a great week to get Bryant back on the field. Offensive line needs to play their best game of the year and so does Lee, but really mistake free with good defense should keep them in the game.

Lee and Horniguy are very similar in that they do not handle pressure well at all. I say, whichever team's Defense gets the most pressure on the opposing QB wins the game.

I feel very confident in our D right now so im really looking forward to a great game.

mixed usage of Ozigbo and Bryant and the occasional slant route for Morgan or DPE. Keep it basic and no more than 15 yards downfield.

Sell out to stop the run and make Hornibrook beat you on D. I'm still not sold on him

Wisconsin's D will get after it / us.
The key will be how that is handled from our line, play calling and TL. If we don't respond to that it could get ugly. Not B1G Championship ugly, but an L. We have some positive vibes emerging and the Blackshirts are getting better, though still a work in progress. I would love nothing more than to see the Huskers win in what I believe will be a very memorable environment that evening. Especially as I am bringing my oldest daughter to the game. My biggest concern is that I can't shake our inconsistency on offense, and the fact that Wisconsin has been very consistent for a while now. We need this win badly. It is a win that means way more than just this game imo. I can't wait. Hopefully the 15 hour long drive home on Monday will be with a big smile on our faces.

GBR :Huskerflag:

Bringing my dad to his first husker game (badger fan. Born in Wisconsin) we got a 10 hour drive home so I don't envy another 5 more on your end. If they (Wisconsin) get creative with blitz packages we need to utilize Bryant (hopefully) Wilbon & a nice little wrinkle would be Lindsay out of the back field as check downs make one guy miss and look out.

Wisc will have the best defense we have seen by far. Lee and the o-line will have to play the best game of their life. LOTS of pressure on hornitoad

We will have the best defense they have seen too.

Same with their I line having to play well too

Hold them to 175 or less rushing yardage, win the turnover battle, and don't let Hornybrook beat you with his arm, repeatedly. That should be enough. Def a winnable ballgame.

You can bet the farm they are going to come after Lee in some very creative ways. What Nebraska needs are some better answers to that upfield pressure than they had 2 weeks ago. If they can't find ways to counter that pressure with positive plays it's going to be a very long day for Lee and the offense.

That's it. UW will try to put tremendous pressure on Lee. If their blitzing strangles our running game as well (and it could) it will be a long night for the offense.

I think Lee will have to get rid of his passes quickly almost all night...and he will have to make them count.

DL better come up with a smart game plan

If the O-line can get a push and give our RBs some running room, that would be great. It would open up the play-action passing game. Being able to run effectively might be the key to success in this game.

It would be nice to have a RPO, but we don't have that with Lee.

Last edited:
Wisconsin only ran for 109 yds. at home versus Northwestern so this is not vintage Wisconsin offense.

Hornibrook through 2 Int.: this is something our defense needs to focus on; pressure him to put the ball up and make mistakes.

The bad: Northwestern only had 25 yds. rushing so it remains for us to come out and show them that we can and will run the ball. More Ziggy?

IF "good Tanner' AND "good Lansgdorf" show up, this is a winnable game for us.

Paramus

No deep balls, that requires a long time in the pocket, does not play to our strength in o-line and puts us behind the chains.

No, we want to look like we did at Illinois, throw on rhythm, ball out soon, giving our line a chance to keep Tanner clean, get 7-15 yards, move the chains, control the clock, score.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's it. UW will try to put tremendous pressure on Lee. If their blitzing strangles our running game as well (and it could) it will be a long night for the offense.

I think Lee will have to get rid of his passes quickly almost all night...and he will have to make them count.

DL better come up with a smart game plan

If the O-line can get a push and give our RBs some running room, that would be great. It would open up the play-action passing game. Being able to run effectively might be the key to success in this game.

It would be nice to have a RPO, but we don't have that with Lee.

Also, like we have been doing, we need to keep Stoltenburg on the sidelines on obvious passing downs.

You could flip what you wrote and say the same thing about Wisconsin in return for the most part. Oh and no bombs use the short passing game and pick them part with that and the running game

Last edited:

Paramus

No deep balls, that requires a long time in the pocket, does not play to our strength in online and puts us behind the chains.

No, we want to look like we did at Illinois, throw on rhythm, ball out soon, giving our line a chance to keep Tanner clean, get 7-15 yards, move the chains, control the clock, score.

Agree. The short passing passing game was perfect for Lee and helped sustain 4 long drives of 80 yards or more

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back