• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked What are the impications to other conferences? Specifically the Big 12?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a possible distribution of the 4 superconferences. If it is ultimately the ACC that survives, who gets cut out from the BEast and B12 may vary.

Pac16

Current 12 + Texas, Oklahoma, Baylor, Boise St

B1G

Current 14 + Ga Tech, Notre Dame

SEC

Current 14 + Fla St, Clemson,

ACC/B12/BEast

No Carolina, Duke, NC St, Wake Forest, Miami, Bos College, Virginia. Va Tech from the ACC
Kansas, Kan St., Okla St, TCU, W Virginia from the B12
Syracuse, Louisville, Pittsburgh from the BEast

Last edited:

I'd switch Ga tech and West Virginia

I don't think the B1G would take WVU because of academics, whereas Ga Tech fits the bill there. I considered Va Tech to the B1G as they are solid academically, but they don't bring as many TV sets as an Atlanta based team.

In the PAC16, I considered Okie St but ruled them out for academics, but I'm not sure they will take a Baptist school in Baylor either. Baylor could get left out altogether, as Kansas could slide west or the PAC16 just grabs Utah St to join with Utah.

Last edited:

College football keeps getting better every year. Just hoping it has not become too good of thing that gets ruined by money. I know fan attendance endorsements etc drive the program. Do we reach a point where greed overcomes good judgement?

As I recall, the Big XII members ceeded their TV rights to the league for 13 years. If I remember correctly, that would put a damper in any PAC 12 thoughts of poaching Texas, Oklahoma, or any other Big XII members. Away games within the league for these teams could be broadcasted by the PAC 12, but no home home games could be broadcasted. Along that line of thinking, WVU doesn't have a realistic potential exit route to the B1G or anywhere else for the 13 year period.

Just a couple thoughts here:

1. The TV rights would be meaningless if the Big 12 goes the way of the Dodo
  2. We've seen (Maryland) that big buyouts etc don't really matter

This is a possible distribution of the 4 superconferences. If it is ultimately the ACC that survives, who gets cut out from the BEast and B12 may vary.

Pac16

B1G

SEC

Current 12 + Fla St, Clemson, Va Tech, W Virginia

ACC/B12/BEast

No Carolina, Duke, NC St, Wake Forest, Miami, Bos College, Virginia from the ACC
Kansas, Kan St., Iowa St, Tex Tech, Okla St, TCU from the B12

TD, I thought you were suppose to come back from vacation all relaxed and thinking clearly. The SEC has 14 teams as we speak.

One of the most intriguing aspects of your forecast is the 4th mega conference is made up of several leftover schools from the Big 12/ACC/Big East. They'll need a flagship program to make it work I would think. Unless Texas decides that's their chance to rule the roost in a 4 mega conference setup, I am not sure it will happen. The better teams will see the hand writing on the wall and flock early to the other 3 mega conferences.

SEC is already at 14 with TAMU and Missouri.

Just a couple thoughts here:

1. The TV rights would be meaningless if the Big 12 goes the way of the Dodo
  2. We've seen (Maryland) that big buyouts etc don't really matter

TD, I thought you were suppose to come back from vacation all relaxed and thinking clearly. The SEC has 14 teams as we speak.

Oops....forgot about those two new guys (mizzou and Tex AM) being 13 and 14. I still think the SEC goes for Fla St and Clemson (if Ga Tech isn't available and then Va Tech and W Virginia squeeze out someone from the B12 or BEast.

Oops....forgot about those two new guys (mizzou and Tex AM) being 13 and 14. I still think the SEC goes for Fla St and Clemson (if Ga Tech isn't available and then Va Tech and W Virginia squeeze out someone from the B12 or BEast.

Well, in all fairness it's kind of easy to forget Mizzou is in the SEC this year.

I agree on Clemson, not sure FSU, seems logical but everyone always says how Florida wouldn't want it. The paradigm has shifted though IMO.

Pac16

B1G

SEC

Current 14 + Fla St, Clemson,

ACC/B12/BEast

No Carolina, Duke, NC St, Wake Forest, Miami, Bos College, Virginia. Va Tech from the ACC
Kansas, Kan St., Okla St, TCU, W Virginia from the B12

Your PAC 16 is way off, the PAC-16 has some of the best academics in the country. With Berkley, Stanford, UCLA etc, you could argue that they are better at the top end than the B1G. They are not interested in Boise in the least, they add nothing. Also, they are not big on religious schools, despite the lower academic rating, they would rather take little brothers than take Baylor. I could be wrong. But if they get Texas, they'll go after Oklahoma, Texas Tech, and Okie State as ride alongs. And they'll just be thrilled that they got Texas,

As I recall, the Big XII members ceeded their TV rights to the league for 13 years. If I remember correctly, that would put a damper in any PAC 12 thoughts of poaching Texas, Oklahoma, or any other Big XII members. Away games within the league for these teams could be broadcasted by the PAC 12, but no home home games could be broadcasted. Along that line of thinking, WVU doesn't have a realistic potential exit route to the B1G or anywhere else for the 13 year period.

This is why I think things are going to just settle down or a while.

I think the Delaney is going to hold off on 15 and 16. If other conferences start making big moves and 4 16 team super conferences begin looking like a possibility, ND is going to start getting nervous for fear of being left out in the cold. I think Delaney is waiting for the right moment to take one final run at the Irish.

Assuming the Irish say no, again, then I think the most likely choices for the last two spots would be Kansas, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, and North Carolina.

I think the Delaney is going to hold off on 15 and 16. If other conferences start making big moves and 4 16 team super conferences begin looking like a possibility, ND is going to start getting nervous for fear of being left out in the cold. I think Delaney is waiting for the right moment to take one final run at the Irish.

Assuming the Irish say no, again, then I think the most likely choices for the last two spots would be Kansas, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, and North Carolina.

Delany may be waiting for ND to call HIM, at this point.

Destabilize the ACC, while adding eyeballs for the B1G. Delany's trap is set.

I agree that ND is the B1G's white whale. But they cannot come with thier own contract. Unless, in the next round of Tier 1 negotiations, NBC wins the bid, and then a ND/B1G marriage may be all but set in stone.

I vehemently disagree about UT. If membership in the B1G requires unanimous approval of all AD's, I would hope NU would veto that one--no matter what UT brings as far as TV's, they are a cancer to any conference they are in (see SWC, B12).

So, I will speculate ND will be the 16th school in the B1G. This will happen after the B12 adds six schools from the ACC/Big Least, giving them East/West divisions, and destoying the ACC.

The PAC 12 will likely be unable to add any schools, if they adhere to their "standards" of culture and academics, and secularism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back