• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked What are the impications to other conferences? Specifically the Big 12?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to me that the big prizes if you consider both eyeballs and sports are ND and the wHorns.

OU brings tradition and appears eager to hang out with Texas.
the B1G has already passed on Kansas and Mizzou.

one or both of the Virginia schools also seem probable.

I am concerned that conferences bigger than 16 teams will likely split up in the future.

Not familiar with WVU academics but I've certainly seen that as a possibility. WVU is way out of place in the XII.

WVU is small time, they and they don't have the academic profile to join the B1G. Plus, nothing is going to happen until Notre Dame and Texas are in invulnerable conferences,

WVU is small time, they and they don't have the academic profile to join the B1G. Plus, nothing is going to happen until Notre Dame and Texas are in invulnerable conferences,

Agreed. Big12 and SEC will go after more ACC schools and the B1G will probably look at an ACC school. That would then cause ND to have to make a decision. I think that is Delany's goal. Begin the break-up of the ACC and force ND to consider being the 16th member of the B1G.

Agreed. Big12 and SEC will go after more ACC schools and the B1G will probably look at an ACC school. That would then cause ND to have to make a decision. I think that is Delany's goal. Begin the break-up of the ACC and force ND to consider being the 16th member of the B1G.

I don't think the B1G moves further until Texas/Notre Dame are either available to them, or permanently out of the picture. Everyone is going to predict a cataclysmic change, but those schools are the prize.

On the other hand, I could be completely wrong, and the B1G could have decided the chances of getting those schools are to low to justify delaying strategic moves.

I have heard people talk about 4 or 5 of the Super Conferences. IMHO I think there will be 4 and then a few smaller conferences. The 4 Super Conferences will mainly consist of traditional football powered (revenue) teams with a few up and coming teams sprinkled in each. If you go and make a list of each team right now of the BEST teams from every Division I conference starting with BIG, Big 12, PAC 12, SEC, and ACC, and then the rest I will bet you have a hard time coming up with the best 64 (4 X 16) football schools. If you add in some schools that have a football team but are more of a basketball power then there might be more, but would still struggle to put together 64. This is why I think there will only be 4 16 team Super Conferences. These would be some great football conferences and probably pretty stout in basketball as well. I don't know how this would affect the NCAA basketball tourney, but the traditionally strong schools are mainly still there.

As I recall, the Big XII members ceeded their TV rights to the league for 13 years. If I remember correctly, that would put a damper in any PAC 12 thoughts of poaching Texas, Oklahoma, or any other Big XII members. Away games within the league for these teams could be broadcasted by the PAC 12, but no home home games could be broadcasted. Along that line of thinking, WVU doesn't have a realistic potential exit route to the B1G or anywhere else for the 13 year period.

I wonder what Jim Delaney's personal feelings toward ND are. I wonder if he's tired of trying to woo ND away from first, the BE and now the ACC. I know ND brings lots of eyeballs and the associated revenue, but I wonder if JD isn't at or near the point where he doesn't think they're worth the effort. The B1G has made lots of money without ND and most likely will make even more money in the future, even without ND. We're the richest of all the conferences and are going to be even richer in the very near future. Financially, we don't need ND and their Texas-like attitudes. Would they meet JD's definition of a good cultural fit. As time goes on, I'm thinking they don't. But, I've been wrong before.

I don't think the B1G moves further until Texas/Notre Dame are either available to them, or permanently out of the picture. Everyone is going to predict a cataclysmic change, but those schools are the prize.

On the other hand, I could be completely wrong, and the B1G could have decided the chances of getting those schools are to low to justify delaying strategic moves.

I kinda wondered about that when they made what appeared to be a concession move with Maryland and Rutgers...in spite of the TV's in those markets. They just didn't seem up to the standards of grabbing PSU and NU. But, the game is on now I believe.

As I recall, the Big XII members ceeded their TV rights to the league for 13 years. If I remember correctly, that would put a damper in any PAC 12 thoughts of poaching Texas, Oklahoma, or any other Big XII members. Away games within the league for these teams could be broadcasted by the PAC 12, but no home home games could be broadcasted. Along that line of thinking, WVU doesn't have a realistic potential exit route to the B1G or anywhere else for the 13 year period.

As we know those agreements are made to be broken, especially if the owner of those TV rights somehow is included in the new conference package. Everything is negotiable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back