• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked What are the impications to other conferences? Specifically the Big 12?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ND will never end up in the SEC. IMO the BigXII gets poached by the Pac unless the ACC crumbles and somehow ND makes an arrangement with the BigXII to keep their network deal and become a member. That secures the Big XII and they then become the hunter...and try to get to 16.

There's room for 4 16 team conferences....the B1G and SEC have the easiest route and are already the most lucrative, making it easier to pull teams who may have exit fees.
The PAC and BigXII could mesh at some point with the weaker BigXII teams pushed out. The ACC is very vulnerable due to their proximity to the SEC and the B1G...so imo, they are going to struggle to keep up. It will be interesting and its probably going to happen sooner and faster than anyone imagined.

ND will never end up in the SEC. IMO the BigXII gets poached by the Pac unless the ACC crumbles and somehow ND makes an arrangement with the BigXII to keep their network deal and become a member. That secures the Big XII and they then become the hunter...and try to get to 16.

There's room for 4 16 team conferences....the B1G and SEC have the easiest route and are already the most lucrative, making it easier to pull teams who may have exit fees.
The PAC and BigXII could mesh at some point with the weaker BigXII teams pushed out. The ACC is very vulnerable due to their proximity to the SEC and the B1G...so imo, they are going to struggle to keep up. It will be interesting and its probably going to happen sooner and faster than anyone imagined.

The Notre Dame network deal is NOT the reason or their independence. It is an alumni driven point of pride, the network deal is a means to the end of being independent, not the other way around. Indiana and Purdue are making more TV dollars than Notre Dame.

The BIG settled (IMO) on Maryland and Rutgers. I think the next 2 they go after will have better clout and be of better caliber.

I agree 100% I am not impressed with what either school brings to the table from a football standpoint. Hopefully we can add at least 1 more football program of substance before we are done.

Last edited:
The SEC wants Fla St and probably Ga Tech or Miami to get to 16, which means the ACC will have a hard time surviving. The Big East is already toast. The B12 will poach what they need to survive, unless the PAC 12 goes after Tex and Oklahoma again.

I agree 100% I am not impressed with what either school brings to the table from a football standpoint. Hopefully we can add at least 1 more football program of substance before we are done.

But do you miss the point that these schools bring revenue wise? Adding millions to each schools coffers is a football competitiveness contribution.

The SEC wants Fla St and probably Ga Tech or Miami to get to 16, which means the ACC will have a hard time surviving. The Big East is already toast. The B12 will poach what they need to survive, unless the PAC 12 goes after Tex and Oklahoma again.

Texas won't move until they are sure that their network won't work, until then, forget it. That's why I believe the B1G and the SEC will bide their time until then.

IMO, the Pac 12 has little (good) options outside of the Big 12 if they want to expand. BSU, BYU, Hawaii, CSU, Nevada, UNLV, etc just don't move the dial like OU and UT do.

They haven't figured that out yet? They're struggling in TX to sell the network.

I think they are going o give it a real long and serious shot, there's always the possibility of the LHN turning into the Big XII network itch revenue sharing, then I think it takes off, and the B1G looks for other candidates, because the Big XII teams will be incredibly stable at that point. Still, I thin that the SEC or the B1G can put more money in those UT-Austin coffers, same with the PAC-12. I think they are the prize, the linchpin that everyone wants, and the school that some old planes states partners of ours are desperately clinging to.

IMO, the Pac 12 has little (good) options outside of the Big 12 if they want to expand. BSU, BYU, Hawaii, CSU, Nevada, UNLV, etc just don't move the dial like OU and UT do.

I think Nevada and UNLV might have more upside than they appear at first glance. Also, there is an interesting rule concerning Hawai'i that would benefit large leagues. Any time you have an away game against Hawai'i you can add another home game that season. That's a revenue generator right there.

Also, the PAC 12 will NEVER take BYU, the money, academics and culture aren't there. Plus Berkley, Stanford, UCLA and USC don't want to share a bed with the Mormons.

Last edited:
Gotta believe theres a lot of AD scrambling going on - just in time for the holidays ... sounds like Boise St, SDSU & BYU have all rethought their plans and are looking to re-join the mountain west.

part of me wonders if the B1G move wasn't strategic to force ND's hand by destabilizing their options. Irish opted for the ACC, which just sustained a significant hit to a charter member, opening the doors for additional moves (talk of Florida St & Georgia Tech to SEC) weakening the conference & increasing ACC instability.

sounds like UConn & Louisville are in discussions to join the ACC

North Carolina, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Syracuse are intriguing in terms of TV audience.. keep in mind that KU & Iowa St are AAU schools, & all but UNC are contiguous.

Good move for the B1G IMO, will certainly have a domino effect.

Last edited:

Gotta believe theres a lot of AD scrambling going on - just in time for the holidays ... sounds like Boise St, SDSU & BYU have all rethought their plans and are looking to re-join the mountain west.

part of me wonders if the B1G move wasn't strategic to force ND's hand by destabilizing their options. Irish opted for the ACC, which just sustained a significant hit to a charter member, opening the doors for additional moves (talk of Florida St & Georgia Tech to SEC) weakening the conference & increasing ACC instability.

sounds like UConn & Louisville are in discussions to join the ACC

North Carolina, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Syracuse are intriguing in terms of TV audience.. keep in mind that KU & Iowa St are AAU schools, & all but UNC are contiguous.

Good move for the B1G IMO, will certainly have a domino effect.

Interesting thoughts, I think you might be on to something with he move to destabilize the ACC. The TV dollars have already been analyzed as they relate to just adding Rutgers and Maryland and they are favorable for the conference. I think ultimately though, The B1G wants to find a way to get Notre Dame and/or Texas into the fold.

And I agree that the Mountain West could be a big winner in this, it was reported somewhere that Boise, Houston and BYU were all trying to go back.

Last edited:
Interesting thoughts, I think you might be on to something with he move to destabilize the ACC. The TV dollars have already been analyzed as they relate to just adding Rutgers and Maryland and they are favorable for the conference. I think ultimately though, The B1G wants to find a way to get Notre Dame and/or Texas into the fold.

And I agree that the Mountain West could be a big winner in this, it was reported somewhere that Boise, Houston and BYU were all trying to go back.

adding ND + Texas would be the bomb. Then negotiate a Pac 12 non con + bowl deal :cool: ... SEC who?

Last edited:

I think Nevada and UNLV might have more upside than they appear at first glance. Also, there is an interesting rule concerning Hawai'i that would benefit large leagues. Any time you have an away game against Hawai'i you can add another home game that season. That's a revenue generator right there.

Also, the PAC 12 will NEVER take BYU, the money, academics and culture aren't there. Plus Berkley, Stanford, UCLA and USC don't want to share a bed with the Mormons.

That's an interesting thought on Hawaii, but are you certain that conference teams that play at Hawaii get to add a game? Agree on BYU and their cultural fit, but at some point you may have to throw that out the window. I still don't think Nevada and UNLV move the dial much but at least you would get the Vegas market although I am not sure how lucrative that would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back