• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked What are the impications to other conferences? Specifically the Big 12?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they are going o give it a real long and serious shot, there's always the possibility of the LHN turning into the Big XII network itch revenue sharing, then I think it takes off, and the B1G looks for other candidates, because the Big XII teams will be incredibly stable at that point. Still, I thin that the SEC or the B1G can put more money in those UT-Austin coffers, same with the PAC-12. I think they are the prize, the linchpin that everyone wants, and the school that some old planes states partners of ours are desperately clinging to.

Yep, I agree with you on all. It just seems apparent that they are chasing something in the LHN that doesn't appear to have much life IMO. I can understand though that you just don't walk away from that large of an investment after 1 or 2 years.

That's an interesting thought on Hawaii, but are you certain that conference teams that play at Hawaii get to add a game? Agree on BYU and their cultural fit, but at some point you may have to throw that out the window. I still don't think Nevada and UNLV move the dial much but at least you would get the Vegas market although I am not sure how lucrative that would be.

That's something I read a long time ago, it was an NCAA rule to encourage scheduling Hawai'i. I don't know for sure if there is an adjustment for conference teams.

But I would think it would be no different. With all the TV dollars and revenue driven stuff in CFB these days I wonder if the power conferences don't simply petition to have two more games added to the schedule. 4 non-cons and 10 conference games with 16 team conferences would make a lot of dollars and sense,

That's something I read a long time ago, it was an NCAA rule to encourage scheduling Hawai'i. I don't know for sure if there is an adjustment for conference teams.

But I would think it would be no different. With all the TV dollars and revenue driven stuff in CFB these days I wonder if the power conferences don't simply petition to have two more games added to the schedule. 4 non-cons and 10 conference games with 16 team conferences would make a lot of dollars and sense,

Kind of flies in the face of everything we have heard over the last 20 years about the student athlete. A move to 14 games would mean the possibility of 17 games. 14 regular season games, CCG, and 2 game playoff. As a fan I would love watching that many games, I just don't know if it's in the best interest of the kids. 13 from 12 MAY be doable with the same model you talk about only 3 non conference games.

Kind of flies in the face of everything we have heard over the last 20 years about the student athlete. A move to 14 games would mean the possibility of 17 games. 14 regular season games, CCG, and 2 game playoff. As a fan I would love watching that many games, I just don't know if it's in the best interest of the kids. 13 from 12 MAY be doable with the same model you talk about only 3 non conference games.

That would actually be fine too, because with ha model two of the games could be home and homes with BCS schools. 7 home, 6 away for the big boys.

That would actually be fine too, because with ha model two of the games could be home and homes with BCS schools. 7 home, 6 away for the big boys.

Yep. Gotta keep the 7 homes. My fear is we see a 10 game conference schedule but only 12 overall. Meaning we only see 2 creampuffs at home every year in the non-conference.

To accurately predict which schools are next in line, you have to stop thinking like a football fan and start thinking like a conference commissioner or television executive. Right or wrong, television and media markets play a large part of this equation.

Think about it like this: the BTN produces a finite amount of money, which is currently carved up by 12 teams. If we keep drawing the same amount of revenue but add two more teams, our share of the pie is decreased from 1/12th to 1/14th. You can counter this in one of two ways -- grab a traditional power with a large national following (see: Nebraska) or you can grab a less successful, regional school in a large television market (see: UMD, Rutgers).

It doesn't matter that Rutgers might only command 20% of the New York television market. 20% of the NYC population is still 1.6 million people, which is roughly the same size as the entire state of Nebraska.

For those reasons, I think you must consider the possibility of teams in large metro areas, or regional/national teams with large draws. This means you consider Georgia Tech, Florida State or the Big Ten's Moby Dick - Notre Dame. And yes, that even means schools like Texas and Oklahoma could be on the table if they were willing to move.

I agree a lot of the expansion talk and even talk of trying to get more games doesn't take the student althelete into consideration but if your are talking season length basketball is a longer season than football (5 months vs 4 months) plus it has multiple games per week compared to one game per week. I understand football is much more taxing on the body and that is reason for the shorter season, I am sure. If they are worried about missed class time basketball would miss much more for classes compared to football due to games during the week. :2cents:

I agree a lot of the expansion talk and even talk of trying to get more games doesn't take the student althelete into consideration but if your are talking season length basketball is a longer season than football (5 months vs 4 months) plus it has multiple games per week compared to one game per week. I understand football is much more taxing on the body and that is reason for the shorter season, I am sure. If they are worried about missed class time basketball would miss much more for classes compared to football due to games during the week. :2cents:

Was referring to the toll on the body as you pointed out.

To accurately predict which schools are next in line, you have to stop thinking like a football fan and start thinking like a conference commissioner or television executive. Right or wrong, television and media markets play a large part of this equation.

Think about it like this: the BTN produces a finite amount of money, which is currently carved up by 12 teams. If we keep drawing the same amount of revenue but add two more teams, our share of the pie is decreased from 1/12th to 1/14th. You can counter this in one of two ways -- grab a traditional power with a large national following (see: Nebraska) or you can grab a less successful, regional school in a large television market (see: UMD, Rutgers).

It doesn't matter that Rutgers might only command 20% of the New York television market. 20% of the NYC population is still 1.6 million people, which is roughly the same size as the entire state of Nebraska.

For those reasons, I think you must consider the possibility of teams in large metro areas, or regional/national teams with large draws. This means you consider Georgia Tech, Florida State or the Big Ten's Moby Dick - Notre Dame. And yes, that even means schools like Texas and Oklahoma could be on the table if they were willing to move.

When the teir 1 rights are re-negotiated in 2017 the 1/14 split will be much better than the 1/12th split now based on the TV's added from the east coast...it was money first, fit second, football third this time around. Next time around I see a real push for ND and a buddy to come along.

Last edited:

Delaney won't be done until he bags someone in the Lone Star State, and that would be Texas.

I'm figuring the Big 10 goes to 20 schools, including OU and Texas, plus a few others, and it becomes an NFL-style gig with 4 distinct "divisions" that retain geographic rivalries.

Might look like this:

Legends

NU
TU
KU
OU
Iowa

Leaders

Wisky
Michigan State
Michigan
Northwestern