• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked What are the impications to other conferences? Specifically the Big 12?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delany may be waiting for ND to call HIM, at this point.

Destabilize the ACC, while adding eyeballs for the B1G. Delany's trap is set.

I agree that ND is the B1G's white whale. But they cannot come with thier own contract. Unless, in the next round of Tier 1 negotiations, NBC wins the bid, and then a ND/B1G marriage may be all but set in stone.

I vehemently disagree about UT. If membership in the B1G requires unanimous approval of all AD's, I would hope NU would veto that one--no matter what UT brings as far as TV's, they are a cancer to any conference they are in (see SWC, B12).

So, I will speculate ND will be the 16th school in the B1G. This will happen after the B12 adds six schools from the ACC/Big Least, giving them East/West divisions, and destoying the ACC.

The PAC 12 will likely be unable to add any schools, if they adhere to their "standards" of culture and academics, and secularism.

I think you're wrong about Texas, I think if Notre Dame fell first, becoming member 15, that Texas would be the perfect cherry on top. And if there were in a league with Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska, and Wisconsin there is no way that they would be able to be as venomous as they were with a bunch of schools that depended on them. In previous situations, Texas was "unequally yoked," in the B1G they would be wanted but not needed. Also, if they realize that their model of a single school network won't work, then they will be much more willing to look at a B1G that will offer them as much or more programming value than any league in the country, as well as upgrade the academic standards of the conference they are in.

Also, if Notre Dame is interested in the B1G, they are not interested in maintaining their NBC contract. The NBC contract is a means to independence, not the other way around. NBC brings in less in TV dollars than Indiana and Purdue do. I almost guarantee you that the AD and and President at ND, already want the B1G marriage to occur. It's selling it to proud donors and alumni that I think is their problem. We'll see. Also, I'm unsure that unanimous votes are requires, I thought I read somewhere that it was 70 percent that was required to add a new member.

Finally, I don't know that the PAC will be all that strict on academics. They matter to the PAC, but they are fine with little brother coming to play too. If OU, Okie State, Texas and Texas Tech were available, I'm certain the PAC would go for it, as long as media rights were pledged to the conference.

Also, I'm not 100% on this, but I think if a team visits Hawai'i they can add another home game, meaning that if the PAC added Hawai'i they could arrange the schedule so that Hawai'i always gets 5 home games each season, thus adding 5 additional games for the PAC 12 Network to play or sell every year. Also, I think that there are a few other non-obvious options for expansion for the PAC. If Texas and OU end up elsewhere, there's always K-State/Kansas.

Last edited:

When it comes to Texas....what about OU? Doubt that couple will ever really want to be apart. Both the Texas ans OK state legislators will have something to say about a split particularly if they can gather relatively equal dollars in a Pac or BXII conference.

Your PAC 16 is way off, the PAC-16 has some of the best academics in the country. With Berkley, Stanford, UCLA etc, you could argue that they are better at the top end than the B1G. They are not interested in Boise in the least, they add nothing. Also, they are not big on religious schools, despite the lower academic rating, they would rather take little brothers than take Baylor. I could be wrong. But if they get Texas, they'll go after Oklahoma, Texas Tech, and Okie State as ride alongs. And they'll just be thrilled that they got Texas,

Texas will always do what's good for Texas.

When it comes to Texas....what about OU? Doubt that couple will ever really want to be apart. Both the Texas ans OK state legislators will have something to say about a split particularly if they can gather relatively equal dollars in a Pac or BXII conference.

Well, in all fairness it's kind of easy to forget Mizzou is in the SEC this year.

I agree on Clemson, not sure FSU, seems logical but everyone always says how Florida wouldn't want it. The paradigm has shifted though IMO.

I think those little turf wars and arguments won't matter in the final decisions. You're going to try and get the strongest conference with the most TV's and prestige you can get, even it that means you have to deal with you're instate cousins.

I think you're wrong about Texas, I think if Notre Dame fell first, becoming member 15, that Texas would be the perfect cherry on top. And if there were in a league with Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska, and Wisconsin there is no way that they would be able to be as venomous as they were with a bunch of schools that depended on them. In previous situations, Texas was "unequally yoked," in the B1G they would be wanted but not needed. Also, if they realize that their model of a single school network won't work, then they will be much more willing to look at a B1G that will offer them as much or more programming value than any league in the country, as well as upgrade the academic standards of the conference they are in.

I think this is key. No way UT can control the B1G like they have other conferences. Which may be why they wouldn't want to join. There's way too much influence in the B1G from all schools but especially Michigan, OSU, and PSU for UT to run roughshod over everyone.

Also, if Notre Dame is interested in the B1G, they are not interested in maintaining their NBC contract. The NBC contract is a means to independence, not the other way around. NBC brings in less in TV dollars than Indiana and Purdue do. I almost guarantee you that the AD and and President at ND, already want the B1G marriage to occur. It's selling it to proud donors and alumni that I think is their problem. We'll see. Also, I'm unsure that unanimous votes are requires, I thought I read somewhere that it was 70 percent that was required to add a new member.

I would like to see the actual numbers, I am sure ND doesn't bring in as much. But you have to remember they also get a little cut of the pie from their conference ties in other sports, the Big East currently and soon to be the ACC. Although, I doubt with really only mens BB garnering TV time that it's a lot.

Finally, I don't know that the PAC will be all that strict on academics. They matter to the PAC, but they are fine with little brother coming to play too. If OU, Okie State, Texas and Texas Tech were available, I'm certain the PAC would go for it, as long as media rights were pledged to the conference.

See my response below to Huskerpilk, I agree here.

Also, I'm not 100% on this, but I think if a team visits Hawai'i they can add another home game, meaning that if the PAC added Hawai'i they could arrange the schedule so that Hawai'i always gets 5 home games each season, thus adding 5 additional games for the PAC 12 Network to play or sell every year. Also, I think that there are a few other non-obvious options for expansion for the PAC. If Texas and OU end up elsewhere, there's always K-State/Kansas.

I don't think this applies to their conference games as most those games aren't like a flight from say like Michigan to Hawaii. I don't want to downplay how long of a flight it is from say like a Seattle or TX, but when UW played Miami back in the day that was a LONG flight too and they didn't get an extra game. I think this is a non-issue in your expansion talks with Hawaii.

I think those little turf wars and arguments won't matter in the final decisions. You're going to try and get the strongest conference with the most TV's and prestige you can get, even it that means you have to deal with you're instate cousins.

Oh, I agree, those are things that prevented in the past that I don't think will in the future. Like with the Pac 12 and academics, they are gonna have to make some concessions if they truly want to go to 16.

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/dollars/post/_/id/1576/nbc-likely-to-hold-on-to-notre-dame

So Notre Dame is projected to get $15 mil a year in 2015 when their new contract is negotiated. As opposed to the B1G teams who are already making over $20 mil and will probably make close to $40 mil when the contract is negotiated in 2017, even more so with the New York market.

As for Hawai'i

http://www.fbschedules.com/2010/05/the-hawaii-exemption/

I believe that those are some of their conference mates there, so I don't think the rule differentiates between conference and non-conference. If you've got a network this is huge! Besides that, Hawai'i has been off and on decent over the years, and there is appeal for fans to attend away games in Hawai'i. Hawai'i is also a really solid academic institution. Not that there aren't bigger fish in the sea for the PAC 12, but Hawai'i would be a worthy option regardless of their small fan base and limited television appeal. 6 more games on their network every year, is probably a big deal.

As for concessions, I think they will be made by lots of folks, but I also think that conferences will make sure the new schools are actually going to add some value as well. That is non-negotiable. I wonder if this could lead to a compromise on Boise State, it seems to me that while they don't have a big media market, that they would create compelling television matchups and thus boost ratings, which are critical in selling add revenue. I personally don't see BYU ever happening, especially after Prop 8 etc. There are many in California who don't care for the LDS at all, also the LDS seems happy to have BYU on their own cable network regardless of the money or competitive advantages of a conference.

If a combination of the SEC, ACC, and B1G poached Texas, OU, Texas Tech and Okie State, I could easily see the PAC grabbing Kansas, Kansas State, Hawai'i and Boise State. Lots of compromise there, but I think lots of upside too.

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/dollars/post/_/id/1576/nbc-likely-to-hold-on-to-notre-dame

So Notre Dame is projected to get $15 mil a year in 2015 when their new contract is negotiated. As opposed to the B1G teams who are already making over $20 mil and will probably make close to $40 mil when the contract is negotiated in 2017, even more so with the New York market.

As for Hawai'i

http://www.fbschedules.com/2010/05/the-hawaii-exemption/

I believe that those are some of their conference mates there, so I don't think the rule differentiates between conference and non-conference. If you've got a network this is huge! Besides that, Hawai'i has been off and on decent over the years, and there is appeal for fans to attend away games in Hawai'i. Hawai'i is also a really solid academic institution. Not that there aren't bigger fish in the sea for the PAC 12, but Hawai'i would be a worthy option regardless of their small fan base and limited television appeal. 6 more games on their network every year, is probably a big deal.

As for concessions, I think they will be made by lots of folks, but I also think that conferences will make sure the new schools are actually going to add some value as well. That is non-negotiable. I wonder if this could lead to a compromise on Boise State, it seems to me that while they don't have a big media market, that they would create compelling television matchups and thus boost ratings, which are critical in selling add revenue. I personally don't see BYU ever happening, especially after Prop 8 etc. There are many in California who don't care for the LDS at all, also the LDS seems happy to have BYU on their own cable network regardless of the money or competitive advantages of a conference.

If a combination of the SEC, ACC, and B1G poached Texas, OU, Texas Tech and Okie State, I could easily see the PAC grabbing Kansas, Kansas State, Hawai'i and Boise State. Lots of compromise there, but I think lots of upside too.

Good to know Anchorage, I'm really surprised they allow this for conference members. And you're right, it may add value to the Pac 12, assuming they want their members to routinely have to travel that extra distance. It does create more inventory for their network for sure.

I found it curious that there is an exemption in there for Alaska too. There aren't any D1 football schools up there are there?

Agree with you on BYU, I think they end up back in the MWC and maybe BSU does too.

Good to know Anchorage, I'm really surprised they allow this for conference members. And you're right, it may add value to the Pac 12, assuming they want their members to routinely have to travel that extra distance. It does create more inventory for their network for sure.

I found it curious that there is an exemption in there for Alaska too. There aren't any D1 football schools up there are there?

Agree with you on BYU, I think they end up back in the MWC and maybe BSU does too.

I don't think there is any college football here, certainly no D1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back