• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The realignment thread

I don't hate the idea of getting the Black Friday game with Colorado going again.

I'm interested in understanding what happens with the Pac-12 leftovers should this happen. I could envision Cal dropping football. And the Pac-12 and Big XII leftovers could merge as they struggle to find their place in the new CFB hierarchy.

I don't hate the idea of getting the Black Friday game with Colorado going again.

I'm interested in understanding what happens with the Pac-12 leftovers should this happen. I could envision Cal dropping football. And the Pac-12 and Big XII leftovers could merge as they struggle to find their place in the new CFB hierarchy.
That’s exactly how I envision it happening.

This all gets really interesting from a many-party negotiation perspective. If the B1G moves quickly (I have no idea how fast they're going to move, if they move at all) adding 2-6 Pac-12 schools, the remaining Pac-12 and Big XII schools quickly reach a point where it's better to dissolve one conference and merge into a single entity rather than admit current G5 schools. For instance, would the Big XII leftovers like to add Houston, or would they rather merge with Arizona St? Would Wazzu want to add Boise St and BYU, or would they rather play K State and Oklahoma St? And if one of the conferences votes to dissolve itself, can they avoid an exit-fees nightmare where suddenly the last team standing ends up with millions and millions in exit fees?

Literally the only "slam dunk" in realignment in my mind is USC/UCLA/Oregon/Washington to the B1G, after that, it all gets very messy. Every school is going to try and keep their herd together while secretly dealing with other conferences on the side. How do you negotiate in a zero-trust environment?

And one thing I'll add: you can bet the bottom tier of B1G schools (and that includes us, eek!) will push for expansion. Expansion is Nebraska's best long-term hope for remaining in this "new division 1". If the B1G loses ground to the SEC, the risk of the top programs breaking off into their own conference with the best of the Pac-12 and ACC increases. To avoid a future existential threat, the block of Maryland, Rutgers, Nebraska, Illinois, etc. will all want to expand into the Pac-12 footprint.

There's a lot of AAC schools that are "waiting for their rose" right now, but CFB is almost absurdly unfair to schools in the lower echelons. The most CFB way this could all end is that none of the AAC or MWC schools end up in the Big XII or Pac-12, and they instead decide to vote to dissolve one of their own conferences rather than let the "sisters of the poor" ( https://www.espn.com/college-footba...nt-gordon-gee-atones-little-sisters-poor-joke ) into their club.

If folks are sweating NIL as the "NFLization" of college football, super conferences make it look like the starter kit. This is now about creating national interest (i.e. an inventory of matchups for content providers that even casual fans would watch) at the expense of traditional/regional match-ups.

That's why KU and ISU are not coming to the Big Ten. There aren't any networks or subscription services interested in bidding top dollar to air ISU vs. Iowa. They want Ohio St. vs. Alabama and Michigan vs. Florida.

More than ever, we need Scott Frost to be the guy. Nebraska still has a strong enough brand to endure this round of realignment, but it's hard to say what the landscape looks like in 5 or 10 years. The last iteration could be something closer to the EPL in size with roughly 25 teams , and a Nebraska program in the bottom half of the Big Ten might not make the cut.

Not sure if it has been shared yet.. but it is official. UT and OU announced they intend to leave

from the link above..

Texas and Oklahoma announce their departure from the Big 12​

As expected, Texas and Oklahoma announced their intentions to leave the Big 12 on Monday morning. In a statement, the programs said they would not renew their grant of rights agreement, which expires in 2025. That marks the first step for UT and OU to make their way to the SEC, though the exact timetable for that transition remains unknown.

The full statement can be read below:

Last edited:
I just want to say, thanks Texas. It has to suck knowing that you alone, created a lot of this transition because of your desire to be king. Texas once again started the dominos falling, just like they did with Arkansas leaving the old SWC, and Nebraska, A&M, Colorado, and Mizzou leaving the Big 12. That program, Texas, is a destructive entity, cancerous to almost anything it comes in contact with. Thanks again, now, it will ensure you suck for a long time being in the SEC.

So Texas can't win the Big XII, and now they wanna move to the SEC...teams like Bama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, and Florida have to be licking their chops at the chance to build a better recruiting base in Texas while kicking their butts every year.

Fans can watch the Horns on their own private network get steamrolled in Austin against the SEC schools...but hey, they'll get more money

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back