• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The realignment thread

If Texas goes to the SEC, does that make A&M available?

Did A&M really want to go to the SEC, or did they just want to separate themselves from Texas?

You pick up A&M, another Texas school or Missouri if they want to go with A&M, Okie Light and Kansas.

If Texas goes to the SEC, does that make A&M available?

Did A&M really want to go to the SEC, or did they just want to separate themselves from Texas?

You pick up A&M, another Texas school or Missouri if they want to go with A&M, Okie Light and Kansas.

I think Texas A&M will be allowed to vent but in the end they will calm down and stay in the SEC.

Last edited:
At the time of the formation, Nebraska and Texas were elite teams. Oklahoma was terrible but quickly rebounded with hiring Bob Stoops.

USC was getting good under Pete Carroll and Miami was a powerhouse. But Michigan and Ohio State were average and Alabama was terrible. The Big Ten and SEC were largely irrelevant compared to the Big XII and the ACC/Big East mix (I get fuzzy on the timeline of Miami and VT).

Point is, had the Big XII had someone like Jim Delaney, they may have risen to be the preeminent power in college football. They stagnated like Rome, though.
Agree to disagree on Texas being an elite team at the time of the formation of the Big 12. For some reason they just consistently thumped Nebraska.

Seems like the Big 12 folding is the ultimate power grab opportunity for the Big 10. Take OSU, Tech, Iowa State, K-State, and...I guess...KU, and there's your super conference. Negotiate low payouts with the newbies for 5 years, re-do your media deal, and money would be falling from trees. The Big 10 has a solid footprint in TX and the lower midwest. When else are you going to have a bunch of apples on the ground such as this?

Seems like a pretty stout answer to what the SEC is putting together.

Adding this teams would make the B1G anything but super.

If this is about matching the chess move by the SEC, nothing short of a ND, USC, Clemson, will move that needle. If this is about the race to 20-24 team supers, then start with the easy pickin's....BXII leftovers and then get the Pac elite on board. Even then, the SEC will be seen as the elite.

As it is, ESPN has become the enemy of the B1G. They are more than willing to steer this ship right to the bank.

At the time of the formation, Nebraska and Texas were elite teams. Oklahoma was terrible but quickly rebounded with hiring Bob Stoops.

USC was getting good under Pete Carroll and Miami was a powerhouse. But Michigan and Ohio State were average and Alabama was terrible. The Big Ten and SEC were largely irrelevant compared to the Big XII and the ACC/Big East mix (I get fuzzy on the timeline of Miami and VT).

Point is, had the Big XII had someone like Jim Delaney, they may have risen to be the preeminent power in college football. They stagnated like Rome, though.

Like Jim Rome?

Sports are becoming so political, the viewership and fans are already losing interest. Super conferences are fun to talk about but they are going to hurt the fan.

Worshiping the Golden Calf!
The new SEC and their schools will have to bow down to Disney’s overlords more and more.
No thanks!

Like Jim Rome?

quote-i-take-a-lot-of-vacation-because-i-get-a-lot-of-vacation-jim-rome-107-22-08.jpg

I'm starting to believe that the quick installation of Trev and the tweet by the sports lawyer Dan Lust are closely related. Nebraska was so clandestine back when it negotiated the move to the B1G. Something tells me they might be working on something again that nobody really sees coming. But who knows, really?

I'm starting to believe that the quick installation of Trev and the tweet by the sports lawyer Dan Lust are closely related. Nebraska was so clandestine back when it negotiated the move to the B1G. Something tells me they might be working on something again that nobody really sees coming. But who knows, really?
It makes you wonder about Ed Stewart. That wouldn't have looked good to bring him in and within a week the two flagship institutions of the big12 are rumored to leave.

Either he didn't know and had eyes as a future Big12 commissioner or the word was out and it weighed in our decision with Trev. It sure sounded like it was all Steward for the AD and then it wasnt.

The final script has yet to be inked IMO. If they can pull out of this and salvage the conference it can paint and even better resume. If not, it looks pretty bad.

It makes you wonder about Ed Stewart. That wouldn't have looked good to bring him in and within a week the two flagship institutions of the big12 are rumored to leave.

Either he didn't know and had eyes as a future Big12 commissioner or the word was out and it weighed in our decision with Trev. It sure sounded like it was all Steward for the AD and then it wasnt.

The final script has yet to be inked IMO. If they can pull out of this and salvage the conference it can paint and even better resume. If not, it looks pretty bad.
Yeah, I agree. I thought it was Stewart all along as well. Crazy times we live in.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back