• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The realignment thread

So Texas can't win the Big XII, and now they wanna move to the SEC...teams like Bama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, and Florida have to be licking their chops at the chance to build a better recruiting base in Texas while kicking their butts every year.

Fans can watch the Horns on their own private network get steamrolled in Austin against the SEC schools...but hey, they'll get more money

Texas only has one more Big 12 Championship than Nebraska and was one second away from having one fewer.

I just want to say, thanks Texas. It has to suck knowing that you alone, created a lot of this transition because of your desire to be king. Texas once again started the dominos falling, just like they did with Arkansas leaving the old SWC, and Nebraska, A&M, Colorado, and Mizzou leaving the Big 12. That program, Texas, is a destructive entity, cancerous to almost anything it comes in contact with. Thanks again, now, it will ensure you suck for a long time being in the SEC.
I agree Texas helped move it along quicker than needed. I would say ESPN and money are the biggest culprit. Athletic departments where never meant to make these huge profits. Never should have allowed salaries to soar and money to be misused. Facilities have completely gotten out of control. These departments now employee entire nutrition staffs. They have recruiting staffs at most big schools. Like anything it’s grown out of control and all the people in charge see is money. There will be less scholarships available, less sports available, less opportunities for young people, but hey kids can make money of their likeness. Hey big programs can cut the dead weight of schools like Iowa St. I think it’s really sad but no one cares what I think.

So Texas can't win the Big XII, and now they wanna move to the SEC...teams like Bama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, and Florida have to be licking their chops at the chance to build a better recruiting base in Texas while kicking their butts every year.

Fans can watch the Horns on their own private network get steamrolled in Austin against the SEC schools...but hey, they'll get more money
They want more money period. We are talking tens of millions in difference between these conferences.

Big 12 was never going to be the preeminent conference because it lacked population for TV markets, its football teams could never over come this.
Dallas
Houston
Kansas City
St Louis
Denver

These were just not going to over whelm the people trying to sell ad revenue when you compare it to:
New York
Baltimore
Atlanta
Miami
Chicago
New Orleans
Except no one from NY or Baltimore, and I would add Chicago and possibly NO likes college football.

Last edited:

Its all about the money! There can be no question that, at some point, a number of schools will opt out of this costly, escalating arms race and decide to drop football and some other sports as well. Then too, how long before the link between college athletics and college education is severed completely? The toothpaste is out of the tube and it ain't going back in.

I agree Texas helped move it along quicker than needed. I would say ESPN and money are the biggest culprit. Athletic departments where never meant to make these huge profits. Never should have allowed salaries to soar and money to be misused. Facilities have completely gotten out of control. These departments now employee entire nutrition staffs. They have recruiting staffs at most big schools. Like anything it’s grown out of control and all the people in charge see is money. There will be less scholarships available, less sports available, less opportunities for young people, but hey kids can make money of their likeness. Hey big programs can cut the dead weight of schools like Iowa St. I think it’s really sad but no one cares what I think.
ESPN never gets a shot at OU-Texas if the BXII was still the BXII. The conference had not chance to be relevant for any length of time with A&M, Neb, Miz, Col gone. 2 great programs and 2 very good programs gone.

Exactly. Both of those programs have/had a nice setup to get to the playoff. Not anymore. Neither will win the SEC, at least rarely. But hey, like you said, both will have more money. They will need it to hire and fire coaches. Seems pretty stupid given the cushy gig they have right now. And it’s not like they have been getting left out, they haven’t. I can’t wait to watch both of them get their ass kicked on the regular. That will please me greatly.

After reading this whole thread I'm left with a smile on my face thinking about ESPN's shrinking relevance in NCAA coverage negotiations and their effect on the market going forward. It has to hurt to literally disappear.... am I right MTV?

Seems like oSu is the pick of the litter of the remaining Big 12. I've been looking through all of the left-over programs. I didn't realize that OSU was second only to OU in number of conference wins in the last decade. Pretty easily whupped a decent Miami team last year in a Florida bowl game. Top 20 in football and basketball most years, dating back two decades. Cracked the top 10 in both a number of times. Fourth in all of D1 in total national championships. The highest TV audiences after OU and Texas.

I will be very surprised if OSU is left out of the Power 5 equation. It would be beneath the B1G to add them due to their snobbery, but I can see OSU providing legit value to the other 3 P5s.

Last edited:

another big question in the quest to get to a super conference is, what happens to the laggards that are currently in conferences such as the SEC? I mean, you don't want an Oklahoma State, but you're good with Vanderbilt? If you're the ACC, you don't want a Texas Tech, but you're good with Syracuse? If you're the PAC12, you don't want an Iowa State, but you're good with Oregon State?

Something, somewhere, has to give. Every single one of the remaining Big 12 programs, except KU, would go into P5s as least at the middle of the pack.

After all the crap Nebraska was handed by the Big 12 and it's members I could not care less what happens to any of those teams. They ALL helped create the discourse that drove out, NE, CO, A&M and Mizzo imo. Those schools decided to cozy up to Texass and almost always voted whatever the Whorns wanted. Bottom line how is that working out for them now? I say to them enjoy the situation you created siding with the blood sucking Whorns.

Nope have ZERO empathy or sympathy for any of the Big 12 schools that might be scrambling to find a home in the near future. I could not care less about any of them.

The BIg 12 made its own bed early, and often. It would not have wound up in this mess with better, common sense. The Big 12 was the strongest conference until 2006. Bad decisions made early were rearing it’s head by this time. It went downhill fast from there. The Big 12 should have been doing the pillaging, before pillaging was cool, when they sat at the table with power, like the SEC has now. They did nothing. The rest is history.
Oh they did plenty. They moved everything to Texas.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back