• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The little things

not that it is a crime...but you are wrong. I commend your commitment though.

This is the first time I've seen people decide on under thrown ball that causes the WR to readjust and allows the DB to be involved in the play a "good pass" or "right where it needs to be". If that is the now the definition of "where it needs to be" we could be in trouble going forward. I personally think it was an off day for Lee so I'm not too worried about it. Going forward I think he hits Morgan in stride for a routine pitch and catch. I'd also prefer to talk about 7 rec for 103 yards and 2 TDs while making a one handed grab look routine, but no one cares about that.

This is the first time I've seen people decide on under thrown ball that causes the WR to readjust and allows the DB to be involved in the play a "good pass" or "right where it needs to be". If that is the now the definition of "where it needs to be" we could be in trouble going forward. I personally think it was an off day for Lee so I'm not too worried about it. Going forward I think he hits Morgan in stride for a routine pitch and catch. I'd also prefer to talk about 7 rec for 103 yards and 2 TDs while making a one handed grab look routine, but no one cares about that.
i just watched the play several more times. at this point i wonder if you are trolling or maybe you were drinking a lot when you watched.

the pass was right there. not every pass is going to hit a guy in the numbers in full stride. in fact...most don't and often intentionally. i guarantee in the film session it was morgan that took the criticism.

Last edited:
i just watched the play several more times. at this point i wonder if you are trolling or maybe you were drinking a lot when you watched.

the pass was right there. not every pass is going to hit a guy in the numbers in full stride. in fact...most don't and often intentionally. i guarantee in the film session it was morgan that took the criticism.

I would hope it went something more like: Lee get the ball out in front where he can make a routine catch, Morgan you've made tougher catches bring that one in. When a pass to DPE gets to him where he has to stop/slow down but still make a catch is fine, but where it needs to be is in stride so he is still running. Just because a pass hits a guy in the hands doesn't mean it's a good pass. Football 101

Amusing how this has devolved into an argument about ONE play, the first one of the game. I wish that were the sole issue worthy of debate or criticism from last Saturday.

Amusing how this has devolved into an argument about ONE play, the first one of the game. I wish that were the sole issue worthy of debate or criticism from last Saturday.

It's one play . . . but it was a huge one in terms of where it led. 14 - 0 out of the gate and you're already playing uphill. I think the big takeaway for me is that it's a microcosm of how NU struggles with getting the little things right. A WR doesn't aggressively go for the ball here, QB makes a bad read/throw there, coaches don't manage the clock here and there, a Sr. WR false starts on a QB sneak on a huge 4th down, start slow/uninspired and get motivated when you are really far behind, etc.

Good teams trend toward getting more little things right than they do wrong. Elite teams do so to an even higher degree.

It's one play . . . but it was a huge one in terms of where it led. 14 - 0 out of the gate and you're already playing uphill. I think the big takeaway for me is that it's a microcosm of how NU struggles with getting the little things right. A WR doesn't aggressively go for the ball here, QB makes a bad read/throw there, coaches don't manage the clock here and there, a Sr. WR false starts on a QB sneak on a huge 4th down, start slow/uninspired and get motivated when you are really far behind, etc.

Good teams trend toward getting more little things right than they do wrong. Elite teams do so to an even higher degree.

That's really my whole issue. We no longer have a QB who can compensate for a lower completion percentage by stressing a defense and making plays with his legs. That is a ball Morgan needs to and normally does catch, but we now need the QB to not make it harder for his receivers so they can spend less effort making a catch and more finishing a play and be the guy who prevents bad things from happening. The only way bad things happen on that play is an under thrown ball, which it was.

I can't believe we are nit-picking that first throw. Husker fans searching for anything at this point.

My nit pick has more to do with it being the first pass of the game and it being a low percentage pass in the first place. It was a pretty good throw and probably should have been caught, but it was still pretty good coverage.

In general I am not a fan of the route. I dislike routes that make the sideline another defender. The fade/sideline route is a low percentage pass play. I am just not a fan of it. I really dislike it on the first play of a game. I know there were other guys in the pattern, I think he made a poor choice.

My nit pick has more to do with it being the first pass of the game and it being a low percentage pass in the first place. It was a pretty good throw and probably should have been caught, but it was still pretty good coverage.

In general I am not a fan of the route. I dislike routes that make the sideline another defender. The fade/sideline route is a low percentage pass play. I am just not a fan of it. I really dislike it on the first play of a game. I know there were other guys in the pattern, I think he made a poor choice.

I can't believe he threw it there at all, i thought Lee was immune to bad decisions and "throw it and hope" plays. Anyway.....on to another topic i feel is odd.

NU continues to use offensive guys on what amounts to defensive plays (plays where a tackle will need to be made...i e punts, kickoffs, etc) and defensive guys when blocking will be required (punt return). How does this make sense? Early in the MR era, i heard they had insufficient LB depth to have those players on ST units. Now, that is one of the deepest roster spots on the team, yet we are hearing how exciting it will be to have Jaylin Bradley (RB) covering kicks. WHY???

I can't believe he threw it there at all, i thought Lee was immune to bad decisions and "throw it and hope" plays. Anyway.....on to another topic i feel is odd.

NU continues to use offensive guys on what amounts to defensive plays (plays where a tackle will need to be made...i e punts, kickoffs, etc) and defensive guys when blocking will be required (punt return). How does this make sense? Early in the MR era, i heard they had insufficient LB depth to have those players on ST units. Now, that is one of the deepest roster spots on the team, yet we are hearing how exciting it will be to have Jaylin Bradley (RB) covering kicks. WHY???

I'm assuming it's because he is fast (faster than the LB's) and must have demonstrated to the coaches that he can tackle.

Last edited:
i agree with ***, the offense left our defense is very poor shape, too many times, the offense only generated 361 yards, it got a couple short fields and made the most of it, because usually takes a few more yards to generate 35 points. I think both off and def will show some nice improvements, to think there wouldnt be some struggles with new qb, new rb, recievers, and new def..... we'd be foolin ourselves and falling for it

We are on the same page, i'm fine with someone mad at the play call or the decision to throw it there, but if Tanner Lee's execution on that play wasn't good enough once the play was called and who to throw to was decided on, we are in for a long season. Our WR had to slow down maybe from 100% to 98%, and the ball still went thru his hands and hit him in the facemask. I could find 3 guys per play that execute at a lesser level than Tanner Lee's pass on the first play. The only reason that ball was picked off was because it was thrown to double coverage. If it's Morgan one on one, it's incomplete at worst. The safety over the top of Morgan had no TE to worry about, and the RB went away from him, he had one person to worry about. Lee's decision to throw it there when we had numbers to the trips side is my biggest concern there.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back