• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The little things

I'm trying to be clear about your argument here. You actually believe it was the offense that was responsible for that loss?

We watched different games I think!
14 in the first half is enough, except when your defense gives up 42 points to the opposition!
I'd put more of the blame on the offense when that is who you are leaning on to keep you in games until your defense gets up to speed.

Let me ask you this... before the game, if I asked you what is more likely, our defense giving up 42 in the first half or our offense only scoring 14, what would you have said? You would have said our defense giving up 42 for all the reasons you outlined in post 117, if you try to tell me the opposite you are just lying to stay afloat in the argument. 14 in the first half and 21 in the second is absolutely not enough with our new defense and when Southern Utah scored 21 in the first half. You are lying to yourself to try and help your point. I could have told you before the game 35 wouldn't be enough to win.

Last edited:

one gets an f and one gets a d. second half one gets a b and one gets a c. mighty disappointing at this point

I still believe someday you will be able to reply to what someone actually posted vs what you wanted to believe they posted. Actually I don't, but that's what I'm going with. Since you asked, as of 9.16 I will have been to 4 CFB game in 4 different states.
Interesting. I have been to football games in Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, Nebraska, Nevada, Texas and California. Had to bow out of the Oregon game this year, which sucked, but.

14 in the first half is enough, except when your defense gives up 42 points to the opposition!

You keep quoting the points, but there's much more to it then that. If you look at points alone you don't have the total picture.

Offense A has the ball 9 times in a game. 5 times they turn it over inside their own 20 resulting in 35 points given up. On their other 4 drives they score 4 TDs for 28 point. They lose 35 to 28, and if you're looking at points only it's the defense's fault.

Looking at 42 point is too simplistic, and some may say the easy way out to blame the defense. I wouldn't say the loss is on the offense, but I would say it's a shared loss between the offense and defense.

It's ok to focus on the little things. But the big things are more important. While the best teams can get a good pass rush with their font 4, we can't. Right now, IMO, we simply don't have the guys who can do it.

I think we will be fine when it comes to stopping the run. Getting better run fits can be corrected. But there are no little tactical things we can do to get a better pass rush with our front 4. Seems to me the only way we are going to get pressure on the passer this year is to blitz.

I don't think Diaco was dealt a good hand. I am sure he is doing the best he can with the hand he was dealt. I am not convinced Banker could do any better.

Would Don Brown, the Michigan DC, have done better with this group of defenders?

:Confused:

When there is no pass rush, it makes it hard for our CBs, safeties, and covering LBs to shine.

Last edited:
But there are no little tactical things we can do to get a better pass rush with our front 4
You are right but for the wrong reason. There are not little "tactical" things that can be done. There are little "technical" things that can be done. Technique is always key.

While I would have rather seen fewer turnovers, and a better completion percentage, that loss was on the defense, not the offense!
If you order something online and the company says you will have it in one week ... if it was to be manufactured in 5 days but takes 6 days to produce ... and then it gets to shipping and they ship it 2 day delivery instead of over-night .. it is now late ... you the customer are unhappy.

Who's fault is it? The manufacturing process or shipping department or both?

If manufacturing and shipping would have worked together you might have had a satisfied customer.

Same with football. The defense relies on the offense to win the time of possession battle. The defense relies on the offense (and special teams) to control field position. The offense needs the defense to control the opponents score so that every offensive possession does not become a "must-score" scenario. The defense needs the offense to not create short-field situations.

YES the defense gave up 42 first half points ... but they did so with no help from the offense. If the offense have converted a few 3rd downs in H1 or run the ball better and take more time off the clock then Oregon scores 21 or 28 points not 35 ... and NU wins the game in H2!

You keep quoting the points, but there's much more to it then that. If you look at points alone you don't have the total picture.

Offense A has the ball 9 times in a game. 5 times they turn it over inside their own 20 resulting in 35 points given up. On their other 4 drives they score 4 TDs for 28 point. They lose 35 to 28, and if you're looking at points only it's the defense's fault.

Looking at 42 point is too simplistic, and some may say the easy way out to blame the defense. I wouldn't say the loss is on the offense, but I would say it's a shared loss between the offense and defense.

I might need some cliff notes here. Seems to me you argued repeatedly with *** only to come to the conclusion that he was being too simplistic with a final conslusion that matched his arguement....

Please email these to Diaco/Parella before the conference season starts.
Pretty sure they know way more about hand placement, Rips, Swim, spin and stunts than I ever will. Technique takes time and repetition to teach. They seemed to be doing a lot better in the second half of last week.

Pretty sure they know way more about hand placement, Rips, Swim, spin and stunts than I ever will. Technique takes time and repetition to teach. They seemed to be doing a lot better in the second half of last week.
You forgot the cross-over swim move, but yeah...might be best to leave technique to experts. But Paramus had a point, our tactics and scheme need work as well...hopefully, as the team gains experience Diaco will be able to change the scheme and tactics as well.

I might need some cliff notes here. Seems to me you argued repeatedly with *** only to come to the conclusion that he was being too simplistic with a final conslusion that matched his arguement....

I think you've mistaken me for someone else. I agree with ***.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back