• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The little things

i agree with ***, the offense left our defense is very poor shape, too many times, the offense only generated 361 yards, it got a couple short fields and made the most of it, because usually takes a few more yards to generate 35 points. I think both off and def will show some nice improvements, to think there wouldnt be some struggles with new qb, new rb, recievers, and new def..... we'd be foolin ourselves and falling for it
That's where i'm at... we didn't have a single 3rd down conversion after the first quarter. Think about that. That puts your defense in some terrible spots.

I would hope it went something more like: Lee get the ball out in front where he can make a routine catch, Morgan you've made tougher catches bring that one in. When a pass to DPE gets to him where he has to stop/slow down but still make a catch is fine, but where it needs to be is in stride so he is still running. Just because a pass hits a guy in the hands doesn't mean it's a good pass. Football 101
Not exactly certain how much football you actually watch, but I would wager that most receptions are made by the receiver on less than perfect passes. It's more about knowing the skills of your receivers and less about making a perfect pass on every throw!

speaking of little things. the 1st td by oregon was an example of "a game of inches". if the LB gets there 1/10th of a second sooner that is either a sack or a ball like tanner's last int. but even then bootle was right there to make a play and simply didn't. that was 3rd and 9...ouch.

On the 4th down false start, if I remember right it looked more like DPE was adjusting to get to the line of scrimmage. I haven't gone back and looked, but if he didn't move, would the play still been flagged for not having enough men on the line of scrimmage?

On the 4th down false start, if I remember right it looked more like DPE was adjusting to get to the line of scrimmage. I haven't gone back and looked, but if he didn't move, would the play still been flagged for not having enough men on the line of scrimmage?
DPE even said that he thought he was lined up on the line and then realized he wasn't as close as he thought. Tough to say if it would have been called as you mention if he had stayed put as I don't know how far off the line he actually was.

Last edited:
FWIW, I think our defense is going to be really good against the run in the B1G. I'm honestly more concerned with our offense. I know we got down early and so the game plan semi-changed but we were very pass happy in situations I didn't think we needed to be. Plus, Lee seemed to throw into a lot of tight coverage.

Now... I don't know Diaco's defense as well as I knew Pelini's at the end of his tenure, and we are only 2 games in here, but i'm going to show just some little things that could get cleaned up and make all the difference in the world for us. This was the first possession of the game. Let's save that I don't like us being in a 3-4, but if you are going to do it, if everyone is sound you can stop the heck out of the run.

Let's start with the bad... With the 3-4 on the field, our ILBs should know that Newby will be able to force everything back inside to them. Weber on this first play, has a pulling guard that he should go his with his left (inside) shoulder leaving his outside arm free, turning the play back in to Young who is pursuing backside. If he would do this, Young makes the tackle for about no gain since no one is blocking him.

Since Weber doesn't hit with the correct shoulder, Freeman runs wild. But Taggart notices we are in a 3-4 and just got 30 or so yards, so what does he do? He doesn't reinvent the wheel, flips the formation and runs virtually the exact same play to the other side. Weber learns from his mistake this last time, and hits the pulling guard with his inside shoulder leaving his outside free, and now Freeman has nowhere to run. Young is sitting right there unblocked to make the tackle.

2nd and 9 instead of 1st and 10 after the same play. Something really small that we could clean up and look a whole lot better. But it's things that you have to learn while the bullets are flying unfortunately.

Great post...give us more like this.

IMO the biggest difference in the game were 3rd downs. Oregon was 7-for-14 and scored touchdowns on a 3rd and 8, 3rd and goal at the 8 and 3rd and goal at the 1 (a drive where the Ducks converted a 3rd and 17). Oregon's 3rd TD also came after starting behind the 8-ball with a 1st and 20 and looking at a 2nd and 17. Nebraska was friggin 2-for 14.

I am also still solidly in Tanner Lee's camp. People need to remember he hadn't played a live game since November 21, 2015. He pressed against Oregon, clearly. He's also probably used to having to press when his team gets behind and thinking he needs to win the game himself. I think he will continue to "get right" and be just fine.

Lee missed on several throws, we know, but 2 of those picks weren't his fault. Langsdorf didn't do him a lot of favors with some of the calls and strategy he employed in the 2nd half. I can understand coming right out and passing (and going for 4th downs) right out of the gate after halftime. It's the only way this team was going to have a fighting chance. I think Husker fans should have loved seeing that from the coaches. But when you guys pulled to within a couple TD's, you should have went back to being balanced. I can sort of see why you went away from it when Tre Bryant went down, though. The offense looks a lot different when he is out.

This offense needs a workhorse RB that produces like Bryant. When he is healthy and on, he gives this team a true three-headed monster. Look at any pro-style offense that is balanced and difficult to defend. They all have a QB-RB-WR tandem that is tough to slow.
Absolutely when Bryant went down the play calling changed and the offense went flat and predictable.

Not exactly certain how much football you actually watch, but I would wager that most receptions are made by the receiver on less than perfect passes. It's more about knowing the skills of your receivers and less about making a perfect pass on every throw!

I still believe someday you will be able to reply to what someone actually posted vs what you wanted to believe they posted. Actually I don't, but that's what I'm going with. Since you asked, as of 9.16 I will have been to 4 CFB game in 4 different states.

I am thru the first half rewatching things... and I really only have a problem with what Diaco did on the drive where they went from 28 to 35 points, for the most part. I could probably chalk that up to us being tired. But 42 points is more indicative of their guys winning more one on one battles with our DBs than being that much better than us, in my opinion. Our corners as I stated in the preseason aren't quite ready yet, and it showed Saturday.

I'm actually feeling a little better about the season after watching this again.
The offense did the defense no favors in the 1st half ... at least 14 if not 21 of their 42 points can be directly chalked up to the offense not doing their job!

The offense did the defense no favors in the 1st half ... at least 14 if not 21 of their 42 points can be directly chalked up to the offense not doing their job!
I am always amused at the number of people here who think Saturday's loss was due to the offensive production.

I am always amused at the number of people here who think Saturday's loss was due to the offensive production.
Was not due to the offense's production but rather their performance ... first possession INT gives Oregon the ball deep in Husker territory and a quick 14-0 lead. Failure to gain a 1st down when its 35-14 led to a punt with enough time remaining for Oregon to score a late TD and a 28 point half-time lead.

Add in three additional turnovers and their impact on momentum, time of possession, field position and how can you NOT think the offense contributed heavily to Oregon's 42 points scored!

Bottom line is a defense's best friend is a good offense. Tanner Lee and company were no friend of the Husker defense last Saturday!

I'm amused by the number of people who cannot rationalize such a relationship!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back