• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The little things

For those blaming the offense for this loss you are crazy. While the O certainly could have played better, if you are on the road and your D makes it so that your O has to put up 45 points or more in order to win.........that is a game lost on defense. Not to even mention the deficit put our O in a position to have to get out of its game plan to win and play nearly perfect to come back and win.

For those blaming the offense for this loss you are crazy. While the O certainly could have played better, if you are on the road and your D makes it so that your O has to put up 45 points or more in order to win.........that is a game lost on defense. Not to even mention the deficit put our O in a position to have to get out of its game plan to win and play nearly perfect to come back and win.
I certainly am not blaming the offense for the loss, but I put more fault on them than the defense. We are trying to learn a new defensive scheme, so going into Oregon we needed to have "the QB Riley always wanted for this offense, the 4/5 returning starters on the OL, Stanley Morgan and DPE, McNitt, and our workhorse back put us in a position to win. 14 points in the first half isn't going to cut it. Balls bouncing off our facemask for an INT isn't going to cut it. 2/14 on 3rd down conversions isn't going to cut it.

You're right, our defense didn't play well, but who we needed to be able to lean on crumbled over. Whether that's play calling, execution by our players, or whatever.

I certainly am not blaming the offense for the loss, but I put more fault on them than the defense. We are trying to learn a new defensive scheme, so going into Oregon we needed to have "the QB Riley always wanted for this offense, the 4/5 returning starters on the OL, Stanley Morgan and DPE, McNitt, and our workhorse back put us in a position to win. 14 points in the first half isn't going to cut it. Balls bouncing off our facemask for an INT isn't going to cut it. 2/14 on 3rd down conversions isn't going to cut it.

You're right, our defense didn't play well, but who we needed to be able to lean on crumbled over. Whether that's play calling, execution by our players, or whatever.

There was enough blame for everyone to have a share of it.

Was not due to the offense's production but rather their performance ... first possession INT gives Oregon the ball deep in Husker territory and a quick 14-0 lead. Failure to gain a 1st down when its 35-14 led to a punt with enough time remaining for Oregon to score a late TD and a 28 point half-time lead.

Add in three additional turnovers and their impact on momentum, time of possession, field position and how can you NOT think the offense contributed heavily to Oregon's 42 points scored!

Bottom line is a defense's best friend is a good offense. Tanner Lee and company were no friend of the Husker defense last Saturday!

I'm amused by the number of people who cannot rationalize such a relationship!
It was the defense which gave up 40+ in the first half. Yes, the offense was complicit in not producing, but it wasn't the offense that gave up those points. I'm a bit amazed by those who are choosing to point fingers at the offense for OU scoring more than forty in a half! Seriously, that's a little silly!

Sorry, Shortside. The defense gave up more than 40 in the first half. In the second half the defense played much better and the offense managed to close to within a TD!

It was the defense which gave up 40+ in the first half. Yes, the offense was complicit in not producing, but it wasn't the offense that gave up those points. I'm a bit amazed by those who are choosing to point fingers at the offense for OU scoring more than forty in a half! Seriously, that's a little silly!
First half drives - INT, Punt, TD, TD, Punt, Punt, INT and Punt

And time of possession on the last four drives was a total of 5 minutes 9 seconds.

Oregon scored 3 TDs after those last 4 drives.

Football is a great game because the intricacies of how multiple facets of the game work together as a ballet. Baltimore Ravens had the best defense in the NFL for years in large part because they had a strong ground game control time of possession offense.

Last edited:

Sorry, Shortside. The defense gave up more than 40 in the first half. In the second half the defense played much better and the offense managed to close to within a TD!
The offense scored 14 points, 2 of 7 on third downs, 2 interceptions (both of which in the defense brought back in our own territory). The defense isn't exempt from blame, but the offense that we needed to lean on against an Oregon defense everyone said wasn't going to be any good put us in absolutely awful spots. We had 8 possessions in the first half and ended up with as many turnovers as touchdowns, that's not ok. They helped make the bed in the first half just as much as the defense did. That's not acceptable, Southern Utah scored more against Oregon in the first half than we did. Our offense needed to carry us while we felt out the Oregon offense and that did not happen at all.

All i'm getting at is if Tanner Lee is sitting at 52.1% completion percentage against two sub-par defenses, and Tommy Armstrong was above that and everyone was pissed and now we have a QB that loses the running ability TA had, we aren't getting to 8 wins.

Last edited:
The offense scored 14 points, 2 of 7 on third downs, 2 interceptions (both of which in the defense brought back in our own territory). The defense isn't exempt from blame, but the offense that we needed to lean on against an Oregon defense everyone said wasn't going to be any good put us in absolutely awful spots. We had 8 possessions in the first half and ended up with as many turnovers as touchdowns, that's not ok. They helped make the bed in the first half just as much as the defense did. That's not acceptable, Southern Utah scored more against Oregon in the first half than we did. Our offense needed to carry us while we felt out the Oregon offense and that did not happen at all.

All i'm getting at is if Tanner Lee is sitting at 52.1% completion percentage against two sub-par defenses, and Tommy Armstrong was above that and everyone was pissed and now we have a QB that loses the running ability TA had, we aren't getting to 8 wins.
While I would have rather seen fewer turnovers, and a better completion percentage, that loss was on the defense, not the offense!

It's still early and this is still a relatively young defense learning how to play together in a new defense. It's not going to happen overnight. I'd say five games should put this D into a much better position to pull off an upset or two. Of course, I'm already prepared for a fallback later in the season. That's fairly common for a young defense.

While I would have rather seen fewer turnovers, and a better completion percentage, that loss was on the defense, not the offense!
It's still early and this is still a relatively young defense learning how to play together in a new defense. It's not going to happen overnight. I'd say five games should put this D into a much better position to pull off an upset or two. Of course, I'm already prepared for a fallback later in the season. That's fairly common for a young defense.
Weird two posts to string together. Defenses fault, not the veteran offense that we are trying to lean on while the defense learns? Interesting. The defense didn't play well, but I could have told you that was going to happen before the game. Our offense didn't need to help Oregon's offense get points by turning it over and going 2/14 on third down conversions, then not score against a young defense that by the way has all the things wrong with it that your second quote states.

Everyone expected our defense to struggle, no one thought our offense would for an entire half. That can't happen.

Last edited:
Weird two posts to string together. Defenses fault, not the veteran offense that we are trying to lean on while the defense learns? Interesting. The defense didn't play well, but I could have told you that was going to happen before the game. Our offense didn't need to help Oregon's offense get points by turning it over and going 2/14 on third down conversions then not score against a young defense that by the way has all the things wrong with it that your second quote states.

Everyone expected our defense to struggle, no one thought our offense would for an entire half. That can't happen.
I'm trying to be clear about your argument here. You actually believe it was the offense that was responsible for that loss?

We watched different games I think!

14 in the first half is enough, except when your defense gives up 42 points to the opposition!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back