• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The little things

Well it was the first pass of the first offensive play of the game that hit our WR in the facemask, so I agree with you.

Should he have caught it? He probably should have, but why is Lee throwing a 25 yard fade/sideline pass that is double covered on the first play from scrimmage? It is a low percentage pass to begin with. If you are throwing on your fist play from scrimmage I can think of a few, lets say 10 routes I would throw to before I would throw that one. Lee was looking for Morgan way too much in that game when he wasn't really that open.

Should he have caught it? He probably should have, but why is Lee throwing a 25 yard fade/sideline pass that is double covered on the first play from scrimmage? It is a low percentage pass to begin with. If you are throwing on your fist play from scrimmage I can think of a few, lets say 10 routes I would throw to before I would throw that one. Lee was looking for Morgan way too much in that game when he wasn't really that open.
I would agree that you can argue the play call or decision making there, but don't be mad at the actual pass. Presnap read that absolutely isn't open compared to the trips down low.

Last edited:

I am thru the first half rewatching things... and I really only have a problem with what Diaco did on the drive where they went from 28 to 35 points, for the most part. I could probably chalk that up to us being tired. But 42 points is more indicative of their guys winning more one on one battles with our DBs than being that much better than us, in my opinion. Our corners as I stated in the preseason aren't quite ready yet, and it showed Saturday.

I'm actually feeling a little better about the season after watching this again.

Love your comments.

I am thru the first half rewatching things... and I really only have a problem with what Diaco did on the drive where they went from 28 to 35 points, for the most part. I could probably chalk that up to us being tired. But 42 points is more indicative of their guys winning more one on one battles with our DBs than being that much better than us, in my opinion. Our corners as I stated in the preseason aren't quite ready yet, and it showed Saturday.

I'm actually feeling a little better about the season after watching this again.

When you feel better I feel better.

I would agree that you can argue the play call or decision making there, but don't be mad at the actual pass. Presnap read that absolutely isn't open compared to the trips down low.

No that is my point. It wasn't a bad pass, he should have caught it. It wasn't the right read though. Lee rally pressed in the game.

I am not nearly as down on this team as a lot seem to be. Oregon is a bad match up for Nebraska defensively. I knew that going into the game. They may be a worse match up than OSU or PSU because of what they like to do. I was disappointed in the offensive play in general. They never had any rhythm and a big part of that was Lee being off, but I was surprised how are receivers had such a hard time getting any separation.

I just need a palette cleansing 4 TD win against N. Illinois to get things rolling again.

Didn't like the play call because "EVERY PLAYER" had to be nervous as a you know what in church! Why not let our kids at least settle into the game, take a few hits and TEST their run D. Just as likely TB could have broken a 20 yd run as complete that type of pass.

I'm firmly convinced that type of play calling is ingrained with DL from his NFL days....

Last edited:

Overall, I like this post, but the bold isn't quite true. He started the week before, against Arkansas St. and played the whole game.
I am still, however, firmly, both in MR's camp, and Tanner Lee's camp. Can't explain the overthrow's, but I know if we make those play's, we win the game, easily.

Well, yeah, I know he played against Arkansas State. I just meant he is still getting his sea legs under him a bit. That Oregon game would have been overwhelming to a lot of QB's. Watching your defense get shelled like that and your team falling behind seemingly every time you gave the ball back to Oregon's offense. Like I said, I think he pressed. I think 85% of starting QB's in CFB would have pressed in that situation. I think he is only going to get better and better as the season goes on. If Tre Bryant can somehow stay heathly (at least in the teams biggest games), then I think this offense will be quite good.

I don't know how a QB can under throw an open receiver that badly and not share some blame in the outcome. How many times do we say a completion or TD should not be credited to a QB when the WR bails him out with a great catch on a bad throw? Not every throw is perfect and not every tough catch is made. Morgan could've caught it, be he was put in a bad situation with a bad throw.....bad outcome at a horrible time. Very few times, even on receptions, did he put the ball right where it needed to be against Oregon. One game and no need to give up on him, he just didn't have a good day at all. We used to hear a lot about how Tommy would make it hard on his receivers, that is exactly what happened against Oregon.

Ozigbo has already proven he can be a workhorse RB, would've been nice to have him out there pounding on people with fresh legs late in the game.

Are you talking about the 1st play of the game? That was a good pass and should have been caught. It bounced off both hands.

Well, yeah, I know he played against Arkansas State. I just meant he is still getting his sea legs under him a bit. That Oregon game would have been overwhelming to a lot of QB's. Watching your defense get shelled like that and your team falling behind seemingly every time you gave the ball back to Oregon's offense. Like I said, I think he pressed. I think 85% of starting QB's in CFB would have pressed in that situation. I think he is only going to get better and better as the season goes on. If Tre Bryant can somehow stay heathly (at least in the teams biggest games), then I think this offense will be quite good.
Agreed.

Bottom line is he has the arm talent to fit the ball in there, which he did. Watch that play again, he wasn't double covered. The safety never made it to the play on time to effect it - IF he catches the ball. It should have been a gain of at least 30 yards if he brings it down. Morgan makes that play, and it's 1st and 10 Nebraska around the 40-45 of Oregon.

Didn't like the play call because "EVERY PLAYER" had to be nervous as a you know what in church! Why not let our kids at least settle into the game, take a few hits and TEST their run D. Just as likely TB could have broken a 20 yd run as complete that type of pass.

I'm firmly convinced that type of play calling is ingrained with DL from his NFL days....

yes. we need to go back to the 'give it to the fullback' days :rolleyes:

that throw was right on the money. if morgan makes that catch like he should we pick up 25+ yards the wind is taken out of the sails of the crowd.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back