• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The little things

For me the key play in the 1st half was movement by Pierson-El when we made the 4th down on the QB sneak. Continue that drive and score, we're down one score and get the ball to open the 2nd half. Score again and it's tied. Instead we're down 21 at half.
We were down 28 at the half.

For me the key play in the 1st half was movement by Pierson-El when we made the 4th down on the QB sneak. Continue that drive and score, we're down one score and get the ball to open the 2nd half. Score again and it's tied. Instead we're down 21 at half.
You must have read my writeup. :)

"DeMornay Pierson-El (4 catches for 67 yards and a TD) had a 23-yard acrobatic TD grab as well as a 34-yard reception. His bonehead play of the day, however, was false starting from his wide receiver position on a converted 4th and 1 QB sneak with 4:37 left in the first half and trailing 28-14. Keeping that drive alive potentially could have resulted in a 28-21 halftime deficit which would have changed the entire complexion of the game. I think we can expect more from a senior leader."

IMO the biggest difference in the game were 3rd downs. Oregon was 7-for-14 and scored touchdowns on a 3rd and 8, 3rd and goal at the 8 and 3rd and goal at the 1 (a drive where the Ducks converted a 3rd and 17). Oregon's 3rd TD also came after starting behind the 8-ball with a 1st and 20 and looking at a 2nd and 17. Nebraska was friggin 2-for 14.

I am also still solidly in Tanner Lee's camp. People need to remember he hadn't played a live game since November 21, 2015. He pressed against Oregon, clearly. He's also probably used to having to press when his team gets behind and thinking he needs to win the game himself. I think he will continue to "get right" and be just fine.

Lee missed on several throws, we know, but 2 of those picks weren't his fault. Langsdorf didn't do him a lot of favors with some of the calls and strategy he employed in the 2nd half. I can understand coming right out and passing (and going for 4th downs) right out of the gate after halftime. It's the only way this team was going to have a fighting chance. I think Husker fans should have loved seeing that from the coaches. But when you guys pulled to within a couple TD's, you should have went back to being balanced. I can sort of see why you went away from it when Tre Bryant went down, though. The offense looks a lot different when he is out.

This offense needs a workhorse RB that produces like Bryant. When he is healthy and on, he gives this team a true three-headed monster. Look at any pro-style offense that is balanced and difficult to defend. They all have a QB-RB-WR tandem that is tough to slow.

You must have read my writeup. :)

"DeMornay Pierson-El (4 catches for 67 yards and a TD) had a 23-yard acrobatic TD grab as well as a 34-yard reception. His bonehead play of the day, however, was false starting from his wide receiver position on a converted 4th and 1 QB sneak with 4:37 left in the first half and trailing 28-14. Keeping that drive alive potentially could have resulted in a 28-21 halftime deficit which would have changed the entire complexion of the game. I think we can expect more from a senior leader."
WOW! Condescending line if I've ever read one. Sure, he made a mistake, yeah, let's crucify him. It sucks to lose, but if that one play cost us the game, then he should be kicked off the team. Redickless statement with the bold.

IMO the biggest difference in the game were 3rd downs. Oregon was 7-for-14 and scored touchdowns on a 3rd and 8, 3rd and goal at the 8 and 3rd and goal at the 1 (a drive where the Ducks converted a 3rd and 17). Oregon's 3rd TD also came after starting behind the 8-ball with a 1st and 20 and looking at a 2nd and 17. Nebraska was friggin 2-for 14.

I am also still solidly in Tanner Lee's camp. People need to remember he hadn't played a live game since November 21, 2015. He pressed against Oregon, clearly. He's also probably used to having to press when his team gets behind and thinking he needs to win the game himself. I think he will continue to "get right" and be just fine.

Lee missed on several throws, we know, but 2 of those picks weren't his fault. Langsdorf didn't do him a lot of favors with some of the calls and strategy he employed in the 2nd half. I can understand coming right out and passing (and going for 4th downs) right out of the gate after halftime. It's the only way this team was going to have a fighting chance. I think Husker fans should have loved seeing that from the coaches. But when you guys pulled to within a couple TD's, you should have went back to being balanced. I can sort of see why you went away from it when Tre Bryant went down, though. The offense looks a lot different when he is out.

This offense needs a workhorse RB that produces like Bryant. When he is healthy and on, he gives this team a true three-headed monster. Look at any pro-style offense that is balanced and difficult to defend. They all have a QB-RB-WR tandem that is tough to slow.
Overall, I like this post, but the bold isn't quite true. He started the week before, against Arkansas St. and played the whole game.
I am still, however, firmly, both in MR's camp, and Tanner Lee's camp. Can't explain the overthrow's, but I know if we make those play's, we win the game, easily.

IMHO you need a...
1. QB that can deliver spot passes as a minimum.
2. A tight end that can catch reliably.
3. A tight end that can hook an EMOL.
4. A flanker that acts as a possession receiver.
5. A split end that can be left on an island, preferably a superior guy on jump balls or a speedster.
6. A workhorse runningback.
7. One superstar lineman, preferably at guard.
8. A team effort blocking downfield until the whistle blows.
9. A solid system running a solid game-plan every week.

We lack much of this although all the pieces are there.

IMHO you need a...
1. QB that can deliver spot passes as a minimum.
2. A tight end that can catch reliably.
3.4.5.6.7.8 and
9. A solid system running a solid game-plan every week.

We lack much of this although all the pieces are there.
What? :Facepalm:

Last edited:

Demonstration of these elements is lacking. The potential parts are there for many of these specific elements. I'm just listing some potential roles that successful teams can usually - but not always - demonstrate. It's not a list of every desirable trait.

Having a QB that is a great clock manager is a big edge. Having a QB that can read sophisticated defenses is an edge. But teams do not need these to be a high threat. The QB needs to be reliable delivering the ball to specific spots on timing routes to shred a defense.

WOW! Condescending line if I've ever read one. Sure, he made a mistake, yeah, let's crucify him. It sucks to lose, but if that one play cost us the game, then he should be kicked off the team. Redickless statement with the bold.

I'd agree with Doc, we should expect more from a senior leader. Everyone makes mistakes, but noting a mistake that is made is hardly crucifying them over it. Moving on 4th down is not in the same class as a senior leader not bothering to go to class, and shouldn't be treated in the same manner.

Senior leaders are held to a higher standard as they should be. They've been there and done that, so mistakes similar to the one Pierson-El made should not be made. If a tackle or guard, even though a senior, made that same mistake it would not be seen as such a bone headed play because they would actually be involved in the play. But for a wide receiver to move on a QB sneak is inexcusable for a senior leader.

I guess I just can't see this as a reckless statement. We do expect more from senior leadership.

I think we can expect more from a senior leader.

Husker Hot Sauce - The Harpy of Hyperbole

Reading comprehension and context are important aspects to keep in mind before responding. (Now that is condescending) :)

As the title of the thread implies, it's the little things that add up to a loss. There were lots of them as Mike Riley noted in in Monday briefing. I'm sure the false start was noted, as was fair catching at the 5 yard line , as well as a fair catch on the last possession on a ball that was returnable (even DPE acknowledged that). We expect more from senior leadership and I believe we will get it. The coaches will keep everyone accountable and leadership will be demonstrated on the field (at least I hope so).

Last edited:

I don't know how a QB can under throw an open receiver that badly and not share some blame in the outcome. How many times do we say a completion or TD should not be credited to a QB when the WR bails him out with a great catch on a bad throw? Not every throw is perfect and not every tough catch is made. Morgan could've caught it, be he was put in a bad situation with a bad throw.....bad outcome at a horrible time. Very few times, even on receptions, did he put the ball right where it needed to be against Oregon. One game and no need to give up on him, he just didn't have a good day at all. We used to hear a lot about how Tommy would make it hard on his receivers, that is exactly what happened against Oregon.

Ozigbo has already proven he can be a workhorse RB, would've been nice to have him out there pounding on people with fresh legs late in the game.

The reason I was upset was DPE sitting out wide would have ZERO impact on that play therefore simply WATCH the football. Attention to detail separates the really good teams from the rest IMO.

He's a great talent and I'm sure NO ONE feels worse about his "brain cramp" then he does. It was however a seminal moment in the 1st half. Just have to say it happens but it was most unfortunate moment for a really good player.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back