• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Shatel-"Not All Nine Win Seasons are Equal"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fans making excuses for when their team loses is natural. It happens every time for every team that has a fan.

Fans making excuses for why their team won is much more abnormal, and brings into question why said person is a fan at all.

Well said, OBRN.

You are much more demanding on your happiness level than me. I don't need a NC to be happy. A Big Ten title would make me happy. A BCS bowl appearance (and at least not an embarrassing loss) would make me happy. There's lots that could make me happy. I was happy following both the 2008 and 2009 seasons. As I've said many times, I don't believe a national title should be expected by Bo. He just needs to do more than he has done.

Pretty much where I'm at. Expectations of actually winning a MNC every year are too high . . . takes either a great team and/or a little luck here and there to get there and win. It should be a goal, for sure, but it's not a good measuring stick. But what SHOULD be a measuring stick is being in the hunt and winning (or coming close to winning) conference championships, being "in the conversation" as a top tier team, having that national relevance, winning some big games (like ones you aren't expected to), etc. Coming close to winning a championship does not stop at getting to the game--it means being in a dogfight and coming up a little short.

Beating Georgia would go some way to showing a step in the right direction. Follow that up with a strong season next year with vast improvement in special teams, overall defense, reduction in penalties, offensive production, reductions in turnovers . . . and maybe--just maybe--it would signal this staff can hack it and produce an elite team again. Lose the bowl game because of the same shortcomings and have yet another Jekyll & Hyde year in 2014 and I don't know how you can come to any other conclusion than the ceiling has been hit and save for a miracle run here and there, we're doomed to mid-tier status.

Time will tell.

I thought beating Arizona in the Holiday Bowl was a step in the right direction. Now I just cherish each win and wait till next year. We need to get to the point where we win the division most every year and go from there. When we don't win the division it is because the division champion went on to win the conference.

I thought beating Arizona in the Holiday Bowl was a step in the right direction. Now I just cherish each win and wait till next year. We need to get to the point where we win the division most every year and go from there. When we don't win the division it is because the division champion went on to win the conference.

I always believed the Arizona win (our most complete against a better-than-average team) was the "trending upward" moment. That was a long time ago now.

Not really. I never thought BC was a good hire. But I definitely wasn't calling on people to be fired at the end of that season. Id challenge you to name any poster who was calling for BC's head after the '06 season.

I can't go back to those posts as they are all gone, but you and a couple others were against BC from just about the very beginning (as was I).

Yes, the tables have turned... but I never expected you to agree.

I can't go back to those posts as they are all gone, but you and a couple others were against BC from just about the very beginning (as was I).

The key difference between now and then: no one was calling for his head after a 5 loss season.

Bo will tells us all we need to know next year... well, tell some of us what we need to know. :)

Last edited:

Shatel-"Not All Nine Win Seasons are Equal"

For me to be happy, I need Nebraska to play sound, hard-nosed, fundamental football. I NEED Nebraska to protect the football, and at least be plus in turnover margin. I NEED Nebraska to change its philosophy on punt return, and start getting returns, and winning the field position battle.

As for the Gator Bowl, turnovers and special teams are my acid test. I've backed off of my Bo-Leaver stance, and I'm back on the fence, leaning toward boliever. Those two issues are the low-hanging fruit we have to fix, to beat any teams as good as, or better than us.

We can calk this up in the "no kidding" category. Not all undefeated seasons are the same either.

But ALL 9 win seasons earn another year (barring off the field incidents).

As far as this being a super easy schedule! I guess we'll see where things end up.
Yes, the schedule was easier with Wisconsin and OSU traded out for Purdue and Illinois, but considering the loss of a Senior All-B1G QB, a senior All-B1G OG, our starting slot receiver, and three of our OL starters, plus an extremely young defense learning on the job, it's remarkable that the Huskers even have a chance to win nine this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back