• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Shatel-"Not All Nine Win Seasons are Equal"

Status
Not open for further replies.

No doubt. But we can even remove the inexperience part away more so in 2014 than 2013. And while it may have affected Nebraska in 2013 not having TM for a large portion of the season, it actually sets us up better for 2014 by getting Armstrong some significant playing experience that he wouldn't have had otherwise. Or if Stanton beats him out, it must be that he's truly special to leap ahead of an experience Armstrong (who I believe has plenty of upside).

As I've said before.... I sincerely hope 2014 is Bo's watershed season. One way or the other. I wish to move out of all of these purgatory-type seasons. Better if we win next season and return to the days of Husker glory (that's easily my preference as a Husker fan), but I'd be "okay" with a season where we tanked (a distant second choice) so that we could move on before I'd want to deal with another season like we've had the past few (by far, my least desirable going forward). I think there's plenty of ingredients in place to be largely successful next season.

Yep, yep, and more yep. I agree on all counts.

Thanks Doc, I was going to mention it if no one else did. We have only 8 wins. There will be no 9th win this season.

The 9 number was more for aesthetics, the article seemed geared more towards the various routes one team can take getting to the same end result.

Plus, theres only been 6 wins since we don't count missed extra points and Hail Mary's anymore. :eek:

Was talking with my dad tonight about the Huskies and Seahawks. He mentioned that this year was the first 9 win season for the Huskies since 2000....I told him: yeah, we get 9 wins at Nebraska and we're pissed off...he said: Well, you should be pissed off, it's Nebraska.

If we win 9 this year with a win over a solid Georgia squad, it'll be an okay season. Not good enough, obviously. But okay.

A couple other balls for the not-all-nine-wins-are-equal cannon:

Miami-FL won 9 this year but played a weak schedule (only two opponents in Sagarin's top 30 vs. four opponents for NU) and the two good teams they played (FSU and UL) completely dominated them.

How about Boise State's 9-win season this year? Wait, sorry. Eight wins for them. But if they had won 9, that would have been inferior to our hypothetical 9-win season.

These teams are relevant for another reason. And it's important. For the "fire Bo" folks, it's not enough to simply show that not all nine-win seasons are the same. It's not enough to critique only our season. You have to find a better alternative HC. And that didn't really work out this year. Two of the top guys you wanted, Golden and Petersen, and this was even cherry-picking several games into the season, have ended up with poor seasons.

If we win 9 this year with a win over a solid Georgia squad, it'll be an okay season. Not good enough, obviously. But okay.

A couple other balls for the not-all-nine-wins-are-equal cannon:

Miami-FL won 9 this year but played a weak schedule (only two opponents in Sagarin's top 30 vs. four opponents for NU) and the two good teams they played (FSU and UL) completely dominated them.

How about Boise State's 9-win season this year? Wait, sorry. Eight wins for them. But if they had won 9, that would have been inferior to our hypothetical 9-win season.

These teams are relevant for another reason. And it's important. For the "fire Bo" folks, it's not enough to simply show that not all nine-win seasons are the same. It's not enough to critique only our season. You have to find a better alternative HC. And that didn't really work out this year. Two of the top guys you wanted, Golden and Petersen, and this was even cherry-picking several games into the season, have ended up with poor seasons.

That's real only an argument for why you don't let the fans select the next coach. A good hire will require finding the "right guy" and you won't find him if all you are doing is looking at wins and losses...you need the right fit as well. Successful hiring isn't easy and the best candidate isn't always the guy with the best numbers. You also, don't make a decision based on one or two seasons.

IMO, Bo has been given ample opportunity to prove he is the right guy, he has failed. Still, since ADSE has decided to give him another year, if he shows any progress (last time he showed progress was 2009 and that was minimal) we should keep him until he regresses. Pretty simple stuff...know that the standards are high, meet or exceed them and keep your job.

Last edited:
That's real only an argument for why you don't let the fans select the next coach.

It's more of a reason why you don't let the fans fire the coach.

Nor do you allow the incessant drumbeat of Husker fan negativity from what appears to be a vocal (and venomous) minority influence who our coach should be.

Fortunately we have an AD who tunes all of that garbage out.

It's more of a reason why you don't let the fans fire the coach.

Nor do you allow the incessant drumbeat of Husker fan negativity from what appears to be a vocal (and venomous) minority influence who our coach should be.

Fortunately we have an AD who tunes all of that garbage out.

It's not as big a minority as you portray it to be and that's what really has you so worried.

No, it merely points out that 2 points of data are not sufficient. Also, other things must be evaluated...the trajectory is just a trend, trends can be broken by coaches that are willing to change things. Sad, that Bo is unwilling to change anything about his staff but is only willing to "tweak" the media aspect of his program.
Except there is no evidence which supports your trajectory meme.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back