• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Schools To Directly Pay Players

No. They had Texas in them. If they were so strong…..why such a mass exodus. Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska and Texas A&M all knew how bad the conference was.
There’s a difference between strength on the field and strength in the athletic department bank account. All those schools left a very competitive sports conference for bigger, better funding deals. At the time, there was some noise about academics and even some “cultural” fits — but is was all about the cash. Colorado ironically had to return “home” after the PAC-12 flameout but the other schools are richer for the change. Those moves were part of the beginning of the end. Setting aside everything else, think of the regional rivalries that evaporated overnight. Hundreds of years of consecutive rivalry games in total.

There’s a difference between strength on the field and strength in the athletic department bank account. All those schools left a very competitive sports conference for bigger, better funding deals. At the time, there was some noise about academics and even some “cultural” fits — but is was all about the cash. Colorado ironically had to return “home” after the PAC-12 flameout but the other schools are richer for the change. Those moves were part of the beginning of the end. Setting aside everything else, think of the regional rivalries that evaporated overnight. Hundreds of years of consecutive rivalry games in total.
What game was truly a rivalry? Oklahoma? I think playing most of the teams in the Big12 were stale at the time. I'm not sure what the lovefest for the Big 12 are. B1G is so much more exciting with all the additions. Some posters seem to forget how much everyone celebrated going to the B1G because we hated the Big 12 members and the administration. Some posters seem to think we left the strongest conference for a worse one when in fact it was the opposite. That's WHY we left.

No. They had Texas in them. If they were so strong…..why such a mass exodus. Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska and Texas A&M all knew how bad the conference was.
They left because Texas ruined it for everyone. No one is arguing that. That said, from 1996-2009, there is zero argument about who the best conference was. It was the Big 12. Before Saban showed up at Bama in 2007, the SEC was Florida. That’s it. While the Big 12 was in-fighting, the SEC got better by the day while the Big 12 was being ripped apart internally. Truth.

What you're discounting is the gambling factor. The NFL is so big in large part because of gambling, it's the best sport to bet on. CFB is now second. With legalized gambling nearly across the country, the popularity of these sports is likely to increase. Especially in a world where all other live t.v. is basically nonexistent.

It's not the same fan base you're used to, but more and more people are watching. I too loved the older version better, but that's probably because we were winning and I loved watching players "come up" through the program improving year after year. I hate the transfer portal, but I understand why it exists.
So, let’s change everything for gambling? Lol. Gambling used to be frowned upon until people got their dirty hands on money and it corrupted all of them. Funny how that works. Few have any dignity at all when it comes to money. Most sell their souls for it.

They left because Texas ruined it for everyone. No one is arguing that. That said, from 1996-2009, there is zero argument about who the best conference was. It was the Big 12. Before Saban showed up at Bama in 2007, the SEC was Florida. That’s it. While the Big 12 was in-fighting, the SEC got better by the day while the Big 12 was being ripped apart internally. Truth.
The truth is we were moving onto a bigger and better conference and TO took us there. No reason to play the woe is us because we no longer get to play a bunch of teams trying to get into the conference we are already in.

So, let’s change everything for gambling? Lol. Gambling used to be frowned upon until people got their dirty hands on money and it corrupted all of them. Funny how that works. Few have any dignity at all when it comes to money. Most sell their souls for it.
I don't think I said anything about wanting to do it. You made that leap in my post.

I don't think I said anything about wanting to do it. You made that leap in my post.
Well, you basically said gambling changed everything. I’m not even arguing it didn’t. Just that it’s funny as hell all the people with their hands out now that it’s ‘acceptable’. FTR, I don’t disagree with you.

What game was truly a rivalry? Oklahoma? I think playing most of the teams in the Big12 were stale at the time. I'm not sure what the lovefest for the Big 12 are. B1G is so much more exciting with all the additions. Some posters seem to forget how much everyone celebrated going to the B1G because we hated the Big 12 members and the administration. Some posters seem to think we left the strongest conference for a worse one when in fact it was the opposite. That's WHY we left.
History and rivalries. NU-OU was an all-time rivalry, including during its boring/one-sided moments. No one is blowing smoke about the Big XII. I think most people recognize the immediate lop-sided power of the former SWC schools and the step-children of the old Big 8. But some of the rivalries and cross-border history is what created the best of college football. What the conference had cannot be replaced. KU - Missouri, football and basketball. NU - KU football went way back. A&M and the other Texas schools. NU - CU had less history but was bitter and fierce. All of that matters. College sports is about upsets, rivalries, unique schemes, outspoken coaches, hilarious/ridiculous traditions, etc. If I want to watch “quality” football, I’ll watch grown men play in the NFL. This is COLLEGE football. And I already miss it.

History and rivalries. NU-OU was an all-time rivalry, including during its boring/one-sided moments. No one is blowing smoke about the Big XII. I think most people recognize the immediate lop-sided power of the former SWC schools and the step-children of the old Big 8. But some of the rivalries and cross-border history is what created the best of college football. What the conference had cannot be replaced. KU - Missouri, football and basketball. NU - KU football went way back. A&M and the other Texas schools. NU - CU had less history but was bitter and fierce. All of that matters. College sports is about upsets, rivalries, unique schemes, outspoken coaches, hilarious/ridiculous traditions, etc. If I want to watch “quality” football, I’ll watch grown men play in the NFL. This is COLLEGE football. And I already miss it.
If you want 30 years ago then yes….you should probably move on to the NFL. Doesn’t do anything to bitch because so many of the changes should have been implemented a long time ago. I believe these changes are helping it thrive. College football of 25 years ago wouldn’t exist in today’s environment. Certainly not THRIVE as it is right now.

I’m amazed how so many people act like college football is dead.

If you want 30 years ago then yes….you should probably move on to the NFL. Doesn’t do anything to bitch because so many of the changes should have been implemented a long time ago. I believe these changes are helping it thrive. College football of 25 years ago wouldn’t exist in today’s environment. Certainly not THRIVE as it is right now.

I’m amazed how so many people act like college football is dead.
With all due respect, I disagree. I’m not really lamenting the death of college football in 2024. None of us are. We’re lamenting its inevitable death post-2030+. It will not survive in any recognizable shape/form. It will be, at best, 25-40 teams fighting each other for the best players/employees at that point. Maximum sponsorship and branding. Union? CBA? Litigation. Title IX? Litigation. More litigation. NIL? Boosters? More litigation. No spending caps. No recruiting guardrails. Gambling? Injury reports? No illusions about education. All in. No limits. No regulation. No anything. It’ll be a free-for-all. Absolutely off the rails AF. Players to the highest bidder. Stockpiling talent like the OU teams of the 60s. Paying off talent like the SMU years. Anyone remember those days? It will be the NFL-light. So what if NU is the Jacksonville Jaguars in that picture? At that point I could care less. How does it work? How is it governed? Controlled? How does it stay competitive? It won’t happen out of the goodness of every program’s heart — college programs are hard-wired to gut each other and leave the corpse for the hyenas. My best buddy is in the biz at a big program and tells me everyone is scared to death — in spite of the bluster and bs from the talking heads. I’d love for it to be different but can’t find my way out of the mess. So help me see a different picture.

With all due respect, I disagree. I’m not really lamenting the death of college football in 2024. None of us are. We’re lamenting its inevitable death post-2030+. It will not survive in any recognizable shape/form. It will be, at best, 25-40 teams fighting each other for the best players/employees at that point. Maximum sponsorship and branding. Union? CBA? Litigation. Title IX? Litigation. More litigation. NIL? Boosters? More litigation. No spending caps. No recruiting guardrails. Gambling? Injury reports? No illusions about education. All in. No limits. No regulation. No anything. It’ll be a free-for-all. Absolutely off the rails AF. Players to the highest bidder. Stockpiling talent like the OU teams of the 60s. Paying off talent like the SMU years. Anyone remember those days? It will be the NFL-light. So what if NU is the Jacksonville Jaguars in that picture? At that point I could care less. How does it work? How is it governed? Controlled? How does it stay competitive? It won’t happen out of the goodness of every program’s heart — college programs are hard-wired to gut each other and leave the corpse for the hyenas. My best buddy is in the biz at a big program and tells me everyone is scared to death — in spite of the bluster and bs from the talking heads. I’d love for it to be different but can’t find my way out of the mess. So help me see a different picture.
Almost everything you are describing is what everyone is trying to prevent. Government, Universities, coaches and the NCAA want controls in place. College football resembling much of what it is now will continue. It just needs to navigate some recent Supreme Court decisions and some well needed changes.

For everyone who complains about these changes we have someone on the other side recognizing the need for every change. FBS reduction split from about 140 schools to 60-80 is long over due and fans have called for it for ages. NIL was over due. The ability to transfer was overdue.

Regarding transfers it is the best thing for College football. Coaches get to cleanse their rosters and unhappy players get to move on. Add to it the fans get all the excitement of monitoring the process and cheering on the transfers just as much as the recruiting.

In the end……Saturdays are the best the college football world has ever seen

This is a breakout of a much large clip from his podcast where he breaks down the direction "pay for play" is heading. Here Klatt does a good job of breaking out the why and what the future steps likely look like and the challenges ahead.

Almost everything you are describing is what everyone is trying to prevent. Government, Universities, coaches and the NCAA want controls in place. College football resembling much of what it is now will continue. It just needs to navigate some recent Supreme Court decisions and some well needed changes.

For everyone who complains about these changes we have someone on the other side recognizing the need for every change. FBS reduction split from about 140 schools to 60-80 is long over due and fans have called for it for ages. NIL was over due. The ability to transfer was overdue.

Regarding transfers it is the best thing for College football. Coaches get to cleanse their rosters and unhappy players get to move on. Add to it the fans get all the excitement of monitoring the process and cheering on the transfers just as much as the recruiting.

In the end……Saturdays are the best the college football world has ever seen
I’m not anti-college football, the game. I’m anti-college football, the business. And I’m not resisting pay, NIL or otherwise. And I’m not resisting transfers. Or any other freedom and benefits to players. In fact, I’m a big proponent. I’m talking about later. When the dust settles. They still need the equivalent of an NCAA. But one with teeth. The dollars are too big. Nothing right now will stop programs from doing whatever they want. And they will. They need a set of rules and guidelines. They have none. They need enforcement of those rules and guidelines. They have none. Most importantly they need buy in from all the programs — basically they need programs to agree to the rules and guidelines. And to whatever punishments or penalties are part of this. The only rule making body that can cut across all the laws/jurisdictions is Congress. They’ve done nothing. And after all the litigation that will precede any of this getting done, i.e., today’s litigation, there will be more rounds of what I’ll call Constitutional or Constitutional-like litigation that follows whatever Congress enacts. Now, the schools can get together and beat Congress to the punch by lining up a league or an affiliation, but they really need legislation to help them cut through the dozens of issues they need to confront/litigate/resolve. You can be happy with the game. But until the business is sorted — and it is a five-alarm dumpster fire now — the game will not survive it. It doesn’t matter how much people/fans want otherwise. It takes real leadership, action, and resolve. I see very little of that.

I’m not anti-college football, the game. I’m anti-college football, the business. And I’m not resisting pay, NIL or otherwise. And I’m not resisting transfers. Or any other freedom and benefits to players. In fact, I’m a big proponent. I’m talking about later. When the dust settles. They still need the equivalent of an NCAA. But one with teeth. The dollars are too big. Nothing right now will stop programs from doing whatever they want. And they will. They need a set of rules and guidelines. They have none. They need enforcement of those rules and guidelines. They have none. Most importantly they need buy in from all the programs — basically they need programs to agree to the rules and guidelines. And to whatever punishments or penalties are part of this. The only rule making body that can cut across all the laws/jurisdictions is Congress. They’ve done nothing. And after all the litigation that will precede any of this getting done, i.e., today’s litigation, there will be more rounds of what I’ll call Constitutional or Constitutional-like litigation that follows whatever Congress enacts. Now, the schools can get together and beat Congress to the punch by lining up a league or an affiliation, but they really need legislation to help them cut through the dozens of issues they need to confront/litigate/resolve. You can be happy with the game. But until the business is sorted — and it is a five-alarm dumpster fire now — the game will not survive it. It doesn’t matter how much people/fans want otherwise. It takes real leadership, action, and resolve. I see very little of that.
You have a lot of draconian predictions and views. Calling college football business a dumpster fire has no merit. They just recently cleaned up a past lawsuit on paying players and have an agreement in place for future revenue sharing. That’s a big issue

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back