• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Schools To Directly Pay Players

Only a few schools on this list will be able to spend the max $20 million on athletic salaries. I believe we’ll see a windfall of laws passed at the state level that will ban any taxpayer or student fee monies going to athletes’ salaries.

Cue the complaining about the inevitable. I'm happy that the athletes will get more of a fair share of the money that they help to bring in. The bidding wars for players will look a bit sordid, but I don't begrudge the athletes getting what they're worth to a school.

Last edited:
Cue the complaining about the inevitable. I'm happy that the athletes will get more of a fair share of the money that they help to bring in. The bidding wars for players will look a bit sordid, but I don't begrudge the athletes getting what they're worth to a school.

It's just a different can of worms that doesn't have a structure in place to govern. It's been headed this way for a long, long time, but it's likely going to be a jumbled up mess in the short term. Who's going to run it? I'm guessing it's going to look a lot like the Wild West for a few years. I've read a couple of pieces that mentioned roster salary caps. Who's going to set those? What's the penalty when Alabama or Ohio State are $20 million over the cap?

Other question now is where are we going to fit in the new landscape? Do we end up a small market team or are we going to be competitive?

Last edited:

The 20 million a year limit isn’t backed by a collective bargaining agreement; so how will that br legal under antitrust laws? Those antitrust laws are the ultimate undoing of the NCAA.

I'm guessing they'll require the athletes (who get compensated) to sign some sort of an agreement with the Universities that will take them off the table from a lawsuit standpoint.

To your point, the rest of the athletes won't be happy about it and you'll see more lawsuits.

Sounds great.

Yep. Allow players who have had their NIL made millions of dollars off them in the past to finally get money.

Every business on the planet makes money off their employees. Yes, they get paid for their work, but so did the students... and most businesses make a lot more off your work compared to what you are paid. They students were compensated for playing, before this happened, with many free items, not to mention a career, if football didn't work out.

If they are going to get paid, then they should no longer get a free education.

Last edited:
I'm guessing they'll require the athletes (who get compensated) to sign some sort of an agreement with the Universities that will take them off the table from a lawsuit standpoint.

To your point, the rest of the athletes won't be happy about it and you'll see more lawsuits.

Sounds great.
Without a CBA or antitrust laws, this is only going to prompt suits from non-paid athletes. Then those sports will be dropped (or dropped pre-lawsuit).

$20M a year isn't jack compared to what some teams are paying now. We know some football teams themselves are spending $20M on the team. Add in Basketball, vball, baseball, and you're well past $20M. Say goodbye to all other varsity sports.

This is going to be a complete dumpster fire for a few years (5-10 is my guess).

Without a CBA or antitrust laws, this is only going to prompt suits from non-paid athletes. Then those sports will be dropped (or dropped pre-lawsuit).

$20M a year isn't jack compared to what some teams are paying now. We know some football teams themselves are spending $20M on the team. Add in Basketball, vball, baseball, and you're well past $20M. Say goodbye to all other varsity sports.

This is going to be a complete dumpster fire for a few years (5-10 is my guess).

Completely agree.

They should have announced this as 'Pending' with its execution on hold until a framework to manage it was in place.

Over the next few years, as the effects of the recent changes (portal, NIL, and now, paying players) really come into play, we’ll get a true look at the future of college sports. I don’t believe that we’ve yet begun to see the long range ramifications and I’m not confident that this will ultimately work to the benefit of the universities, the sports, or the players themselves. Look to professional leagues (this pay-for-play now turns college athletics into professional leagues) to see what is done to maintain a competitive balance - an annual draft, revenue sharing, salary caps, etc). With the “wild west” nature of what we’re seeing now I don’t see any way that we’re going to get the horse back in the barn - college teams will be defined by who can pay the most. High revenue schools will be able to afford to pay the highest salaries thereby ensuring continued championship runs. Sorry if you’re a school that can’t afford to pay the price to get or hold on to top tier players. Ultimately, though, it will come down to the fans. If fans continue to tune in, the money will continue to flow, but I question how many fans will continue to support their teams knowing that their teams are little more than cannon fodder for the elite few. And, with essentially unlimited free agency every year, the top revenue teams will simply snatch top players from those schools that can’t pay top dollar. Seems like only a matter of time until we eliminate that last pesky little detail of expecting the players to actually be students.

Over the next few years, as the effects of the recent changes (portal, NIL, and now, paying players) really come into play, we’ll get a true look at the future of college sports. I don’t believe that we’ve yet begun to see the long range ramifications and I’m not confident that this will ultimately work to the benefit of the universities, the sports, or the players themselves. Look to professional leagues (this pay-for-play now turns college athletics into professional leagues) to see what is done to maintain a competitive balance - an annual draft, revenue sharing, salary caps, etc). With the “wild west” nature of what we’re seeing now I don’t see any way that we’re going to get the horse back in the barn - college teams will be defined by who can pay the most. High revenue schools will be able to afford to pay the highest salaries thereby ensuring continued championship runs. Sorry if you’re a school that can’t afford to pay the price to get or hold on to top tier players. Ultimately, though, it will come down to the fans. If fans continue to tune in, the money will continue to flow, but I question how many fans will continue to support their teams knowing that their teams are little more than cannon fodder for the elite few. And, with essentially unlimited free agency every year, the top revenue teams will simply snatch top players from those schools that can’t pay top dollar. Seems like only a matter of time until we eliminate that last pesky little detail of expecting the players to actually be students.
IMO, you'll see 30ish schools stay at the top. The rest will go back to a "club" sport mentality. Those players won't be employees, won't be paid (maybe some scholarships, low dollar), games won't all be on tv, etc...

Who knows from there. Could a NFL developmental league take hold and CFB goes it's own way for most kids? Maybe.

Every business on the planet makes money off their employees. Yes, they get paid for their work, but so did the students... and most businesses make a lot more off your work compared to what you are paid. They students were compensated for playing, before this happened, with many free items, not to mention a career, if football didn't work out.

If they are going to get paid, then they should no longer get a free education.

The problem is that compensation lagged far behind the revenue they generated, and they had no recourse if they weren't happy about that. Since we're comparing it to regular employment, if an employee isn't happy with their current job, they always have the option of leaving for another job. Student athletes were always restricted with that.
The NCAA always tried to have it both ways, and this is the end result of that.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back