• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Schools To Directly Pay Players

I'm not sure that Congress can make some varsity athletes employees and some not. They would have to change the overall test for employees or create a new category of college athlete and somehow remove football/basketball players from it AND for it to be constitutional. Serious questions and I'm not sure how that would go over. Imagine Congress debating paying the men while keeping the women as is (or close anyway). Men get thousands/tens of thousands in salary and women get scholarships. I just don't see that happening.

Title IX still doesn't prevent colleges from dropping sports if all varsity athletes are deemed employees. Can you show me where it says that? Or even hints at it, in some cases? NLRB/EEOC rulings?
Nobody has said Title IX prevents colleges from dropping sports. They can. They will have to drop an equal amount of both male and female sports. Unless congress steps in.

All of this could have been avoided years ago if the NCAA enacted a monthly stipend for all scholarship athletes. But wanted to keep up the absurd lie of "amateurism", so I guess you reap what you sow.
I thought they already gave a monthly stipend

History. Once title IX was implemented schools increased opportunities for female sports. Without congress changes….those rules still stand. What part of this can’t you understand?
The part where it applies in a situation with employees. You're saying you just think it applies because it did apply before? Totally different situation if they become employees.

The part where it applies in a situation with employees. You're saying you just think it applies because it did apply before? Totally different situation if they become employees.
Geesh you are at it again. Title IX DOES apply to employees. I have explained to you several times that title IX is an extension of title VII which enacted discrimination in the work place. Title IX extended it to the educational system. So yes......as it stands without congress intervention you cannot simply by-pass Title IV equal opportunity requirements by making them employees.

Geesh you are at it again. Title IX DOES apply to employees. I have explained to you several times that title IX is an extension of title VII which enacted discrimination in the work place. Title IX extended it to the educational system. So yes......as it stands without congress intervention you cannot simply by-pass Title IV equal opportunity requirements by making them employees.
I understand Title IX applies to employees in some instances and Title VII protects employees from gender discrimination.

You do realize that when it comes to employee status, Title VII covers that, not Title IX. For example, a coach wouldn't file under Title IX for sex discrimination, he/she would file under VII. The odds are that a student turned employee is going to fall under that same analysis. Sure, Congress could act to change that or issue regulations to that effect, but doing so isn't going to create more women employees, it's going to create fewer men's sports.

There just isn't enough money being generated to pay everyone equally and maintain the same level of sports.

bc4567a2119b5cf7f6d0728ba54da13e.gif

I understand Title IX applies to employees in some instances and Title VII protects employees from gender discrimination.

You do realize that when it comes to employee status, Title VII covers that, not Title IX. For example, a coach wouldn't file under Title IX for sex discrimination, he/she would file under VII. The odds are that a student turned employee is going to fall under that same analysis. Sure, Congress could act to change that or issue regulations to that effect, but doing so isn't going to create more women employees, it's going to create fewer men's sports.

There just isn't enough money being generated to pay everyone equally and maintain the same level of sports.
That's what I have been saying. My question though is, can congress find a way around it that would bypass Title IX requirements of equal opportunities and allow only revenue generating programs within each athletic department to provide revenue sharing/employment and still allow non-revenue generating sports to operate without having to pay the athletes.

Right now Title IX doesn't allow that and making all of them employees subject to title VII wouldn't allow it either.....or at least not likely to stand up to a court challenge because it would be construed as going backwards in equal opportunities.

But if Congress stepped in and allowed the Universities to separate revenue producing sports from the non-revenue producing sports and only employ/pay those ones then Title IX/VII wouldn't have to be implemented because its a free market system.

That's what I have been saying. My question though is, can congress find a way around it that would bypass Title IX requirements of equal opportunities and allow only revenue generating programs within each athletic department to provide revenue sharing/employment and still allow non-revenue generating sports to operate without having to pay the athletes.

Right now Title IX doesn't allow that and making all of them employees subject to title VII wouldn't allow it either.....or at least not likely to stand up to a court challenge because it would be construed as going backwards in equal opportunities.

But if Congress stepped in and allowed the Universities to separate revenue producing sports from the non-revenue producing sports and only employ/pay those ones then Title IX/VII wouldn't have to be implemented because its a free market system.
The bolded simply isn't known at this point and more likely than not, it would stand up. I understand the view is going backwards, but moving from student to employee is a HUGE change in status. There are decades/a century plus of law that constitutes how employees/employers govern themselves.

At no point has an employer ever been required to explicitly hire a specific gender and pay them the same, regardless of position. In fact, recent SCOTUS rulings have made it crystal clear, you can't hire based on gender only.

It's unfortunate, but moving to an employee/employer relationship for all varsity sports is going to mean way fewer varsity sports, and likely only 1 women's team (maybe 2 for a few schools) while men get football, basketball, and maybe baseball (though probably not, as that is a loser fiscally). Most schools currently lose money on their athletics, they aren't going to triple or more that cost when they have to pay employment wages (plus OT, benefits, etc...).

Congress could step in and it might. I wouldn't hold your breath though on whatever they do working out for the betterment of all.

The real possibility exists that college athletics may price itself right out of business.
I hope they do. I wouldn’t care. I’m 57, I’ve seen a helluva run over the past 50 years. What they’ve done to it, its almost unrecognizable, except for the uni’s. They’ve ruined all the regional interest in many cases, destroyed conferences, and outright cancelled big time rivalries. All in the name of money. Every single business has a cap without constant expansion, most of which is generally detrimental to the business. Personally, I’ll always wonder just how great a playoff would have been with the SWC, Big 8, Big 10, PAC 10, SEC, and ACC all sending their champions. 6 at large births to go with that. Would have been epic. So sad what we have now, but I still love the Cornhuskers.

I hope they do. I wouldn’t care. I’m 57, I’ve seen a helluva run over the past 50 years. What they’ve done to it, its almost unrecognizable, except for the uni’s. They’ve ruined all the regional interest in many cases, destroyed conferences, and outright cancelled big time rivalries. All in the name of money. Every single business has a cap without constant expansion, most of which is generally detrimental to the business. Personally, I’ll always wonder just how great a playoff would have been with the SWC, Big 8, Big 10, PAC 10, SEC, and ACC all sending their champions. 6 at large births to go with that. Would have been epic. So sad what we have now, but I still love the Cornhuskers.
Sums up many of my thoughts. The evolution of college football (and you can throw college athletics, in general, into the equation) has really robbed it of many of the intangibles that made it so special. Many will read this post and think you’re an old guy (I’m about 15 years older) that is looking back nostalgically at something that was greatly flawed, exploited the athletes, and had to change. Granted, changes were needed, primarily in the area of ridiculous rules imposed by the NCAA about student benefits, but that could have been done without destroying conferences, traditional rivalries, and turning the system into an NFL-Lite model. Undoubtedly, “something” will emerge from all of this change and many will herald it as “new and improved,” but having lived through the evolution of the sport to what it is becoming, I don’t think that what is emerging is, in the long run “better” than what was. I, like you, still love the Huskers and will continue to give them my undying support, but it’s not unhinged nostalgia that leads me to believe that we’ve genuinely lost something special along the way. Just one person’s opinion and probably out of step with the majority, but that’s the way I see it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back