• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Schools To Directly Pay Players

Sums up many of my thoughts. The evolution of college football (and you can throw college athletics, in general, into the equation) has really robbed it of many of the intangibles that made it so special. Many will read this post and think you’re an old guy (I’m about 15 years older) that is looking back nostalgically at something that was greatly flawed, exploited the athletes, and had to change. Granted, changes were needed, primarily in the area of ridiculous rules imposed by the NCAA about student benefits, but that could have been done without destroying conferences, traditional rivalries, and turning the system into an NFL-Lite model. Undoubtedly, “something” will emerge from all of this change and many will herald it as “new and improved,” but having lived through the evolution of the sport to what it is becoming, I don’t think that what is emerging is, in the long run “better” than what was. I, like you, still love the Huskers and will continue to give them my undying support, but it’s not unhinged nostalgia that leads me to believe that we’ve genuinely lost something special along the way. Just one person’s opinion and probably out of step with the majority, but that’s the way I see it.
It started for me with creating the big 12. I understand why it happened, but it really kicked off losing traditions IMO. The move to the B1G killed off nearly every traditional rivalry we spent a century creating. Yes, I hate Iowa and they've become a rival of sorts, but they aren't OU. I honestly don't care about Minny or Purdue at all. I used to watch every Big8 game I could and root for the Big8 team if it was OOC. Even in conference I had teams I liked better than others.

If Purdue v. MD was on now, I'm not watching...I simply don't care about either team. I would have watched KU v. ISU though.

At some point the money is going to run out and we'll end up back with small divisions. Likely 30 years off, but for now, we'll have 40 teams or so playing the best football in the country and the rest will be effectively D2/3 level teams playing more local schools.

Sums up many of my thoughts. The evolution of college football (and you can throw college athletics, in general, into the equation) has really robbed it of many of the intangibles that made it so special. Many will read this post and think you’re an old guy (I’m about 15 years older) that is looking back nostalgically at something that was greatly flawed, exploited the athletes, and had to change. Granted, changes were needed, primarily in the area of ridiculous rules imposed by the NCAA about student benefits, but that could have been done without destroying conferences, traditional rivalries, and turning the system into an NFL-Lite model. Undoubtedly, “something” will emerge from all of this change and many will herald it as “new and improved,” but having lived through the evolution of the sport to what it is becoming, I don’t think that what is emerging is, in the long run “better” than what was. I, like you, still love the Huskers and will continue to give them my undying support, but it’s not unhinged nostalgia that leads me to believe that we’ve genuinely lost something special along the way. Just one person’s opinion and probably out of step with the majority, but that’s the way I see it.
I’m not against players getting some $$$. They should have given them some $$$ decades ago. How much? I don’t know that answer. The rules have always been an issue. Some good, solid, common sense could have been used, but it NEVER was. Common sense running a business, is remarkably successful.

What I am against is, the Wild West. No rules. Huge sums of money to some, who’ve done nothing. Transfers at will, killing rivalries, and teams going to conferences they have no business being in. I personally, don’t like money ruining good things, so call me old fashion if you wish. Just seen so many great things ruined, for money.

i can’t speak for anyone else, but I sure miss being able to hop in my truck, and make a half day road trip to see my team play. I’ve been to every stadium in the old Big 8, and every stadium in the original Big 12, except Texas. I can’t do that anymore. I don’t even think about going to a road game anymore, except for Iowa. I’ve still got family in Iowa, so there’s that as well. We will see how this SS plays out.

It started for me with creating the big 12. I understand why it happened, but it really kicked off losing traditions IMO. The move to the B1G killed off nearly every traditional rivalry we spent a century creating. Yes, I hate Iowa and they've become a rival of sorts, but they aren't OU. I honestly don't care about Minny or Purdue at all. I used to watch every Big8 game I could and root for the Big8 team if it was OOC. Even in conference I had teams I liked better than others.

If Purdue v. MD was on now, I'm not watching...I simply don't care about either team. I would have watched KU v. ISU though.

At some point the money is going to run out and we'll end up back with small divisions. Likely 30 years off, but for now, we'll have 40 teams or so playing the best football in the country and the rest will be effectively D2/3 level teams playing more local schools.
I agree. Creation of the Big XII wasn't done to improve football, but to get more money. We in the Big 8 were just fine. But Texas had to be saved from itself. And then everything else started to slide downhill from there to what we have come to today.

Now I'm trying to figure out how paying players is going to work (although I truly believed it needed to be done). I'm sure I will be surprised how it ends up.

Am I missing something? As I read comments across the college football spectrum most seem to be business as usual. But, as we’ve been discussing on this thread some of us see this case as changing the fundamental look of college sports. And it isn’t theoretical, but something that will be implemented beginning in 2025. It seems to be like one of those laws that legislators sneak into a bill then all of a sudden the implementation date rolls around and everybody panics saying, “how did we get here”? Either I’m missing something or most people just think that it “will somehow workout” with only minor changes to the college sports landscape. Guess we’ll just have to wait and see. But, if I were a high schooler looking for a college or an athlete in a non-revenue producing sport, I think I’d be worried.

Am I missing something? As I read comments across the college football spectrum most seem to be business as usual. But, as we’ve been discussing on this thread some of us see this case as changing the fundamental look of college sports. And it isn’t theoretical, but something that will be implemented beginning in 2025. It seems to be like one of those laws that legislators sneak into a bill then all of a sudden the implementation date rolls around and everybody panics saying, “how did we get here”? Either I’m missing something or most people just think that it “will somehow workout” with only minor changes to the college sports landscape. Guess we’ll just have to wait and see. But, if I were a high schooler looking for a college or an athlete in a non-revenue producing sport, I think I’d be worried.
You’re not missing anything. I don’t think most college football fans track the details the way folks here do. A lot of fans will be upset about all these issues later — it just hasn’t “happened” yet from their perspective or reality. I also think the athletes in other sports just put one foot in front of the other. They don’t have any alternatives.

I remember when athletes were paid with a free college education. Now it is getting more complicated because more money (and those who supply the extra funding) kept getting more and more involved. This is what has brought us to today's "status". It just seemed so much more simple in the old days.

First two paragraphs are 100% spot on. Unsure about your last paragraph. No idea to know what the hell they will do to screw it up further. I hate watching BIG football. It just sucks. i still watch the Big 12 regularly. Much rather see Okie State play Texas Tech than Iowa and Wisconsin.

I hope they do. I wouldn’t care. I’m 57, I’ve seen a helluva run over the past 50 years. What they’ve done to it, its almost unrecognizable, except for the uni’s. They’ve ruined all the regional interest in many cases, destroyed conferences, and outright cancelled big time rivalries. All in the name of money. Every single business has a cap without constant expansion, most of which is generally detrimental to the business. Personally, I’ll always wonder just how great a playoff would have been with the SWC, Big 8, Big 10, PAC 10, SEC, and ACC all sending their champions. 6 at large births to go with that. Would have been epic. So sad what we have now, but I still love the Cornhuskers.
College sports are at a peak right now. How is it ruined?

College sports are at a peak right now. How is it ruined?
College sports wear at a peak BEFORE Nebraska left the Big 12. Give it a few years, because what they are doing to it won’t be good for the future. If you think a lot of folks aren’t turned off by all this money grabbing, you’d be sadly mistaken.

College sports wear at a peak BEFORE Nebraska left the Big 12. Give it a few years, because what they are doing to it won’t be good for the future. If you think a lot of folks aren’t turned off by all this money grabbing, you’d be sadly mistaken.
I'm 100% sure I'm older than you, but after reading this I'm starting see the wisdom in the young folks' disdain for us oldsters.

Sure a lot of folks will be turned off by all this money grabbing, but to all of the youngsters, "all of this money grabbing" is and will be completely normal. They (and you and me) were imprinted with the system in place at time they dip into spectating.

Ten years from now they'll be on their feet screaming as Jamal Nike Turner throws a pass to Samuel Bud Light Wilson, knotting the score at halftime Colorado Dodge Ram 24 - Nebraska Runza 24. Then when both players switch teams for a one-time $10,000 payment, the youngsters will all make a quick donation run and come up with $15,000 to get those two lads back on the team for the Boeing Crash 'n Burn Fourth Quarter Bought to You By Amazon Prime.

On the way home they'll spot both of us yucky oldies watching the game, grab us, and dump us in the Do Your Part for President Thunberg Soylent Green Donation Recycling Machine in the East Concourse near the concession stands.

No they weren’t. And the B1G 12 sucked. Still does although it improved with the loss of Texas.

No they weren’t. And the B1G 12 sucked. Still does although it improved with the loss of Texas.
Until 2009, the Big 12 was the strongest conference in the country. In other words, from 1996-2009, the Big 12 was the strongest conference. Not sure what the hell you were watching.

What you're discounting is the gambling factor. The NFL is so big in large part because of gambling, it's the best sport to bet on. CFB is now second. With legalized gambling nearly across the country, the popularity of these sports is likely to increase. Especially in a world where all other live t.v. is basically nonexistent.

It's not the same fan base you're used to, but more and more people are watching. I too loved the older version better, but that's probably because we were winning and I loved watching players "come up" through the program improving year after year. I hate the transfer portal, but I understand why it exists.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back