• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked ***'s Thoughts So Far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the write up. Solid assessment although I personally disagree with using "yolo bomb" as the term is a little cliche at this point and the play got the ball to our most viable playmaker at a point in the game where we needed a positive in the worst way.

Are you kidding me?? I describe TA as a 50/50 ball thrower. Every time he throws it deep he's jumping around hoping someone catches it.. I love TA and his intangibles but you gotta call a spade a spade. TA is our only hope of doing well this year at QB, and I whole heartedly believe in him. I love the analysis from *** though. Our O-Line has a lot of work to do, just keep hoping we recruit some big guys on both sides of the ball. And Williams is a great coach, and it seems like 20 receivers coming in next class lol

I think since we're 6-0 and at this point of the season if we need O-line help we burn red shirts. Just something that needs to be done to make this season great IMHO. If they can contribute to more offensive production then by all means do it.
Yep. Especially if it's a pup replacing a walk-on senior. Get the kid some reps and he'll be better for it next season.

Thanks for the write-up ***.

What was interesting to me was the front 4 of Illinois seemed to be much stronger but we eventually found some success against them essentially with the same banged-up line (unless I'm missing something - all the injuries are hard to keep up with). Whereas against Indiana, there were a lot more struggles blocking in general. I think the positive going into the Purdue game is Iowa who has struggled blocking into the second level much of the year made it look easy. Not sure if that speaks to how bad Purdue's defense is or if Iowa is trending up.

Good stuff ***. at the beginning of the season you were worried about depth on the defensive line because of inexperience. Now it seems to be one of the best groups. get the other Davis kid going and we are on to something. How do you think the DE are playing?
I think the DEs are playing ok, we are even putting Alex Davis in more to try and get some pass rush. I don't think we have the dominant person, but we have a few solid guys. I could be off there?

Who is Zack?

Zack Morris.

0d2821901d1be1bb7ef12b905fbfbe45.jpg

C

Last edited:

Can you help me understand the X's and O's on some of the secondary stuff? There are times we look like we play 10-15 yards off the receiver and they pick up easy firsts because of it. Doesn't seem like we've been too burned by it overall but it definitely keeps drives alive. Is that scheme related?
Watch basically every football game, college and pro.....you'll see this a lot (although 15 yards is an exaggeration). NU

That's probably true, the problem I see though is you don't even get a chance to read or checkdown when your LG is getting beat one on one. The backwards spin out of the pocket move he uses that pisses me off actually worked real well Saturday. But to your point, that could be something that saves us next year having someone read things quicker. But one was a rollout pass where his athleticism saved the sack as he had no time to do anything.

I think TA stayed in the pocket to much. He is too short to see over his OL. I think he would be more productive if he rolls out into the flat on a pass run option. Staying in the pocket only for a pass to a RB swinging out or a WR dropping back a few yards to receive the quick pass. He's doing allot better than he did the last 2 years!

I hear ya.... I just saw two defenders on him and a third coming his way. He got picked doing that in the game later (I don't think it was earlier). If you are going to "get the ball to your most viable playmaker" it is usually not done against double and almost triple coverage. But I agree, sometimes people just need to make plays for you. That is something that wasn't happening last year.

It looked to me like he threw knowing that Morgan was going to break right to that spot. TA released it before Morgan broke and Morgan was right there when the ball got to him. I'm not sure if TA saw the safety coming or not, but it worked out well that they wiped each other out of the play as if it were the first practice for the Bad News Bears. :Biggrin:

Good OP. If true that Purdue will be playing like there's nothing to lose and sending all kinds of blitzes, that should provide one last solid pre-test for our O-line heading into the gauntlet of the next two weeks.

Watch basically every football game, college and pro.....you'll see this a lot (although 15 yards is an exaggeration). NU
Obviously the staff made a decision to stop giving up huge passing plays... hence playing off receivers more. They want teams to earn those yds if they are going to score. It however needs to be adjusted based on down and distance.............

Last edited:
Are you kidding me?? I describe TA as a 50/50 ball thrower. Every time he throws it deep he's jumping around hoping someone catches it.. I love TA and his intangibles but you gotta call a spade a spade. TA is our only hope of doing well this year at QB, and I whole heartedly believe in him. I love the analysis from *** though. Our O-Line has a lot of work to do, just keep hoping we recruit some big guys on both sides of the ball. And Williams is a great coach, and it seems like 20 receivers coming in next class lol

Not sure what you are questioning. The safety couldn't have intercepted it where it was thrown. Granted, he should have make the tackle but it still would have been a big gain.

Watch the video:

http://www.huskermax.com/games/2016/vid/06/05morganTD.html

Thanks for the analysis, ***. Always a pleasure to digest and to read the followup discussion.

It's a little depressing to see how the OL has these long mid-game stretches where they are so consistently losing these one-on-one matchups. The puzzler is the Q4 domination they've consistently shown. Seems that when they can just focus on bringing the hammer down they can do it. I know the narrative is they are "wearing them down", but it just seems like it's more than that. Got any thoughts about that?

As for Tommy's scrambling, he must have run for 100 yards behind the LOS to save plays. And on a bad wheel no less. Incredible athleticism really but obviously the pass pro is lacking. THAT scares me the most vs Wiscy since their defense is really fast to the gaps and to the ball and they keep containment. I see TA losing more of those chase plays in Madison than winning them. OL has to do more to prevent them to win that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back