• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked ***'s Thoughts So Far

Status
Not open for further replies.
What don't you buy about the play calling? You think there's a magic play to run when the OL is getting blown up? Are there plays in the book where DLinemen DO get blocked but DL isn't calling them?
We need a 'hyperspace' button like on the Defender arcade game. Yes, I am old.

That's completely fair. It looked to me from the replay like the safety was out of range but they definitely had defenders there. SM was behind his guy and it was a fairly tight window. On a side note, I noticed we complained about something (possibly defensive holding or something) on the long pass to Alonzo Moore but I couldnt tell what.
Ya - Moore got grabbed as he was flying by the defender and that's why the ball was overthrown. But the ref missed it.

I didn't do our defense justice in this write-up, they are playing lights out. Hopefully they can keep us in it and with Carter and Westerkamp out for awhile, maybe they will have us in it in the 4th to dial some things up.

The Blackshirts were agressive and fast! Lots of great open field tackling going on in that game, especially by the DBs. The young talent on the DL are getting better each week. Keep improving this week and knock the snot out of Purdue.

For the OLine I think it's guys being hurt, which leads to guys not working as much together and creating issues. Honestly they are real close to ripping Wilson's redshirt but it's mid-October now and bullets are going to be flying against Wisky. You do it against Purdue or not at all.

During the bye I know we focused a ton on fundamentals. Banderas in my opinion had been underwhelming at times, but I thought played really well today. I'm not sure the exact reasoning. Scouts drool over that kid because of his athleticism, but the film isn't quite as great. Conversely scouts have to see the tape of Rose-Ivey to start drooling.

Curious as to what the deal is with so many scholarship O linemen that aren't in the mix such as D Johnson and Hannon. Just from my vantage point as a fan, I would have expected Christian Gaylord and Jalin Barnett to step up before pulling a redshirt off Wilson. Great though that we have so many local bigs that are getting in the mix. Shows the importance of every recruiting class and encouraging locals to walk on to maintain depth for the meat grinder that is the B1G.

Curious as to what the deal is with so many scholarship O linemen that aren't in the mix such as D Johnson and Hannon. Just from my vantage point as a fan, I would have expected Christian Gaylord and Jalin Barnett to step up before pulling a redshirt off Wilson. Great though that we have so many local bigs that are getting in the mix. Shows the importance of every recruiting class and encouraging locals to walk on to maintain depth for the meat grinder that is the B1G.
Well, I was going to go off on that, but Whitaker, Johnson, Barnett, Hannon, they all are apart of the issue. Then start asking yourself what we are going to do in two years if we have misses like that when we aren't taking a single walk-on OL in the past two years, we could be screwed. I started something on Decker a few weeks ago but I doubt he's around next year, so Thurston would have probably been our starting center this year with Foster hurt and we would have moved Utter back to guard. Unfortunate.

Good stuff ***. at the beginning of the season you were worried about depth on the defensive line because of inexperience. Now it seems to be one of the best groups. get the other Davis kid going and we are on to something. How do you think the DE are playing?

I love TA but I think his poor field vision causes the need to scramble much of the time. A better passer makes reads/checkdowns quicker and gets rid of the ball. There were RBs open in the flats on more than one occasion that he never looked at. TA is much more elusive than a traditional pocket passer but there is also an art to having a feel for the pocket and TA doesn't have that most of the time. And lets be honest, the TD to SM Jr was bad Tommy that caught a break. That pass was an answered prayer.

To your point, yes we lose that game without TA...without a doubt. But the whole dynamic changes when you have a QB that can read defenses and exploit all open receivers.

This post isn't meant to slam Armstrong, but rather to point out that the approach is different when you have a QB with a different skillset.

This is what I wondered about. I totally agree that Tommy got out of several certain sacks because of his feet, but is part of the pressure because teams know he doesn't handle hot reads well, or that he'll tend to toss up more prayers when improvising so the bring more pressure? It's probably a poor comparison, but I've read that pressuring Aaron Rogers is the worst thing you can do because his ability to see the pressure and hit the pass in the area vacated kills you for bringing pressure. I realize many love to say Tommy does his best work when on the move, but he also does some of his worst when he's in a position to improvise.

Theres some truth to your point however much of the time as *** mentioned...a pro style qb would have sacked or thrown the ball away as TA rarely enough time for anything. Sometimes....yes...better field vision would have helped but this oline was a bigger issue than TA on saturday

I agree you can't have a total statue, but there are plenty of QBs who have a knack for stepping a little left or a little right to eliminate the rush angle and stay upright. If you don't have good feet, it's almost always going to be sack city.

Theres some truth to your point however much of the time as *** mentioned...a pro style qb would have sacked or thrown the ball away as TA rarely enough time for anything. Sometimes....yes...better field vision would have helped but this oline was a bigger issue than TA on saturday

Bingo! Because on at least a half dozen plays "field vision" meant lookingat that huge DT who is moving into the backfield in sync with the snap.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back