• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked ***'s Thoughts So Far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theres some truth to your point however much of the time as *** mentioned...a pro style qb would have sacked or thrown the ball away as TA rarely enough time for anything. Sometimes....yes...better field vision would have helped but this oline was a bigger issue than TA on saturday
My point is that with a more precise thrower, you can use routes that rely on accuracy instead of getting a receiver down field in a one on one situation. You don't need the deep QB drops as often because you can count on your QB taking a three step drop and hitting his man out of his break. I am not sure TA is trusted to do such a thing very often.

If we lose to Wisconsin but beat Iowa, and Iowa beats Wisconsin, is it still backing into the title, since we beat the team that beat us?
Not if you think Iowa is the top competition in the west. Its really a moot point as Wisconsin should handle Iowa easily. Iowa could potentially lose all but one of their remaining games.

Great post agree with it all.
Anyone upset at play calling doesnt understand football. Play calling is never perfect even with the best OCs in history. But this particular games struggles were ALMOST soley on the oline. Whatever the reason it was pathetic. I for one think personnel needs to at least be looked at on the oline. Maybe its mostly injuries but whatever the reason.....we need to shore it up fast.
Even in earlier games its not until the fourth quarter when the D is tired that yhe oline starts havin progress. Early in the game they struggle. We have issues across the board like any team but right now imo the diff between us getting blown out at osu/wisky and those games being close is mostly on correcting our oline problems
That's what I was trying to get at... literally Langsdorf was trying every option he had to help them out and they couldn't get it done. If you can't run a zone read against Indiana and get a push with a double team, there's not much you can run.

Thanks for the write up. Great as Usual. Manziel story was great.
For the Oline is it injuries for the play? Guys just not getting it or talent? Or All of the above?
I found it interesting listening to the press conference. I do not think the reporter asked specifically about Hahn, just about injuries on the Oline and Riley talked about Hahn and how some guys are looking really good behind him. But he said Sam was the best option when Foster went down. Do you think the coaches may make a change?
Maybe I did not hear the whole question and the reporter did ask about Hahn. I have not been a huge fan of him from the start of the season. I love the walkon story but I think he is out of position and not athletic enough for guard.
About the worry next year without TA maybe the line will be really good with Foster(if stays healthy) and Maybe Farionok in there and whomever else steps up.

As far as defense they said tackling was focused during the bye. That may have helped but I saw Banderas take the wrong gap only twice on Saturday. During the previous games he was going the wrong way about twice a series and they would spring a long run. Even Blake Lawerence made a reference about it on Big Red Wrap Up. Do you think that was focus during the bye that could have helped the run defense as well.

Sorry for all the questions.
For the OLine I think it's guys being hurt, which leads to guys not working as much together and creating issues. Honestly they are real close to ripping Wilson's redshirt but it's mid-October now and bullets are going to be flying against Wisky. You do it against Purdue or not at all.

During the bye I know we focused a ton on fundamentals. Banderas in my opinion had been underwhelming at times, but I thought played really well today. I'm not sure the exact reasoning. Scouts drool over that kid because of his athleticism, but the film isn't quite as great. Conversely scouts have to see the tape of Rose-Ivey to start drooling.

Awesome as always. I always appreciate your outlook. There may be some minor things I disagree with but overall great right up by the smartest man on the board.

Thanks as always ***.

After watching Wisky and OSU play a few games, I think our defense can compete with them and at least play them tough. But after what I saw from our O-line Saturday I'm not expecting much offensive production and I'm seriously hoping they don't break Tommy. Here's hoping they can really step it up from here on out and that we don't lose anymore guys.
I didn't do our defense justice in this write-up, they are playing lights out. Hopefully they can keep us in it and with Carter and Westerkamp out for awhile, maybe they will have us in it in the 4th to dial some things up.

Thanks for the write up. Solid assessment although I personally disagree with using "yolo bomb" as the term is a little cliche at this point and the play got the ball to our most viable playmaker at a point in the game where we needed a positive in the worst way.
I hear ya.... I just saw two defenders on him and a third coming his way. He got picked doing that in the game later (I don't think it was earlier). If you are going to "get the ball to your most viable playmaker" it is usually not done against double and almost triple coverage. But I agree, sometimes people just need to make plays for you. That is something that wasn't happening last year.

I love TA but I think his poor field vision causes the need to scramble much of the time. A better passer makes reads/checkdowns quicker and gets rid of the ball. There were RBs open in the flats on more than one occasion that he never looked at. TA is much more elusive than a traditional pocket passer but there is also an art to having a feel for the pocket and TA doesn't have that most of the time. And lets be honest, the TD to SM Jr was bad Tommy that caught a break. That pass was an answered prayer.

To your point, yes we lose that game without TA...without a doubt. But the whole dynamic changes when you have a QB that can read defenses and exploit all open receivers.

This post isn't meant to slam Armstrong, but rather to point out that the approach is different when you have a QB with a different skillset.
That's probably true, the problem I see though is you don't even get a chance to read or checkdown when your LG is getting beat one on one. The backwards spin out of the pocket move he uses that pisses me off actually worked real well Saturday. But to your point, that could be something that saves us next year having someone read things quicker. But one was a rollout pass where his athleticism saved the sack as he had no time to do anything.

I hear ya.... I just saw two defenders on him and a third coming his way. He got picked doing that in the game later (I don't think it was earlier). If you are going to "get the ball to your most viable playmaker" it is usually not done against double and almost triple coverage. But I agree, sometimes people just need to make plays for you. That is something that wasn't happening last year.

That's completely fair. It looked to me from the replay like the safety was out of range but they definitely had defenders there. SM was behind his guy and it was a fairly tight window. On a side note, I noticed we complained about something (possibly defensive holding or something) on the long pass to Alonzo Moore but I couldnt tell what.

That's probably true, the problem I see though is you don't even get a chance to read or checkdown when your LG is getting beat one on one. The backwards spin out of the pocket move he uses that pisses me off actually worked real well Saturday. But to your point, that could be something that saves us next year having someone read things quicker. But one was a rollout pass where his athleticism saved the sack as he had no time to do anything.
I agree that TA has the ability to evade defenders better than anyone on the roster and anyone here next year.

Reid is more like Hughes. I don't buy your "play calling" para. But enjoyed the read.

Zack wouldn't get sacked all that often.
What don't you buy about the play calling? You think there's a magic play to run when the OL is getting blown up? Are there plays in the book where DLinemen DO get blocked but DL isn't calling them?

And Zach who?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back