• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked ***'s Thoughts So Far

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the minority here but I want Wisconsin to beat Iowa. Then when we beat Wisconsin, we earn the West. We lose to Wisconsin then we really don't deserve the division anyway.
exactly
Here's for wanting Our Huskers to earn this Big 10 West title by beating everyone in our division.

I am in the minority here but I want Wisconsin to beat Iowa. Then when we beat Wisconsin, we earn the West. We lose to Wisconsin then we really don't deserve the division anyway.
exactly
Here's for wanting Our Huskers to earn this Big 10 West title by beating everyone in our division.

Excellent as always..thanks for all the hard work and opinions. However, as far as the OL....why would the redshirting Frosh be of any more help than the Frosh that redshirted last year and are available this year? Is this years class really that much better than Barnett and Gaylord? I thought that group was also highly thought of. Not sure how guys with months less in the system would be better unless far, far superior on talent.
Essentially... Wilson and Raridon have the mentality needed to be good compared to the ones you mentioned. I don't think Boe Wilson was any more talented than Barnett coming out of high school, heck i'd give the edge to Barnett. Wilson was almost going to start over Hahn, it was essentially even, but they wanted to conserve the redshirt. To compare, if Pete Carroll was our coach, Boe Wilson would not have redshirted and started since game 1.

Essentially... Wilson and Raridon have the mentality needed to be good compared to the ones you mentioned. I don't think Boe Wilson was any more talented than Barnett coming out of high school, heck i'd give the edge to Barnett. Wilson was almost going to start over Hahn, it was essentially even, but they wanted to conserve the redshirt. To compare, if Pete Carroll was our coach, Boe Wilson would not have redshirted and started since game 1.
Barnett has to drop weight from around his thighs, dang I get a rash down there just watching him trying to run off the field.

Great analysis as always. After reading your thoughts on offensive line am hoping we can beat Purdue with Gates out. :nod: Does not sound any better next year.

But with a more accurate passer, your drops are 3 and 5 step, not 7 step. That would be the difference. You rely on the timing and accuracy rather than getting a WR farther down the field and one on one.

I don't quite agree with you here. The depth of drop has more to do with the depth of the pass routes being run. All routes rely on accuracy and timing. If a QB is inaccurate on the 3 step drop, he is inaccurate on the 7 step if it is the same pattern. There may be some pre-play read things that happen quicker on 3 steps, but that is also on the WRs too.

And also to the point, if the OL gets beat from the get go, even 3-step drops can end in sacks with someone standing immobile in the pocket.

I don't quite agree with you here. The depth of drop has more to do with the depth of the pass routes being run. All routes rely on accuracy and timing. If a QB is inaccurate on the 3 step drop, he is inaccurate on the 7 step if it is the same pattern. There may be some pre-play read things that happen quicker on 3 steps, but that is also on the WRs too.

And also to the point, if the OL gets beat from the get go, even 3-step drops can end in sacks with someone standing immobile in the pocket.

Obviously depth of drop correlates to the depth of the routes. The longer the route, the more space the receiver has and less traffic for the QB to worry about. This is my point. TA takes longer drops because his lack of pinpoint accuracy warrants the receiver being one on one preferably. If the QB is more accurate, you can trust him to throw into spaces that are more high-traffic.

And 3 step drops aren't meant to read the field. They are quick throws. If there is a sack on a three step drop, its because of a blitz and OL misread.

Obviously depth of drop correlates to the depth of the routes. The longer the route, the more space the receiver has and less traffic for the QB to worry about. This is my point. TA takes longer drops because his lack of pinpoint accuracy warrants the receiver being one on one preferably. If the QB is more accurate, you can trust him to throw into spaces that are more high-traffic.

And 3 step drops aren't meant to read the field. They are quick throws. If there is a sack on a three step drop, its because of a blitz and OL misread.
Correct. Not sure what is so hard for some to understand that if you throw the ball after 2 seconds you are less likely to be sacked than if you wait 3 or 4 seconds.

Great post agree with it all.
Anyone upset at play calling doesnt understand football. Play calling is never perfect even with the best OCs in history. But this particular games struggles were ALMOST soley on the oline. Whatever the reason it was pathetic. I for one think personnel needs to at least be looked at on the oline. Maybe its mostly injuries but whatever the reason.....we need to shore it up fast.
Even in earlier games its not until the fourth quarter when the D is tired that yhe oline starts havin progress. Early in the game they struggle. We have issues across the board like any team but right now imo the diff between us getting blown out at osu/wisky and those games being close is mostly on correcting our oline problems
There is nothing wrong with the OL that having everyone practicing together wouldn't solve. We're getting good play out of second and third string players, especially in 4th quarter.

What scares me is Tanner Lee and POB aren't getting out of those sacks that Tommy avoided where our OL was whipped and they came straight at them. No "check down" route or other combination is going to help that unfortunately. That being said I think our OL will be much better next year. I really hope Farniok challenges for that RT spot.

There is nothing wrong with the OL that having everyone practicing together wouldn't solve. We're getting good play out of second and third string players, especially in 4th quarter.
I would agree here... our line play is frustrating because it isn't up to the "standard" we have in our head for Nebraska lines. But like I stated in my op, we are down to close to our 10th OL, and you can't expect normalcy from that. Gates and Farmer were playing at real high levels before their injuries, Utter was also solid in line play and directing people where to go, but our LG and RT have left a lot to be desired for me. And now that the first two mentioned are banged up, it's going to be an interesting last handful of games.

I have been happy with the DL progress (a ways to go but progress nonetheless).

Over the past few years I have been frustrated by our DE. Particularly in their willingness to commit to a move. Now, some of that could have been defensive game plan for a specific QB but overall I felt there was a lot of face to face rushing, not commiting to half a man rush on the OT. This year I have seen our DE (Freedom in particular) trying to work more half man....at the very least we are making the QB have to step up

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back