• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Rex Burkhead's name permanently displayed at Memorial Stadium?

Status
Not open for further replies.

He has 3,136 career rushing yards good for 5th all-time behind Rozier, Green, Crouch and Helu. Pretty impressive given the number of games he missed this year.

It was realistic to envision him having been able to surpass Ahman Green from #2 all-time given he started the season 1,226 behind.

Obviously a lot of woulda, coulda, shouldas ... but his accomplishments as they stand right now are pretty impressive. Worthy enough for the ring of honor ... probably not. What makes RB stand out is the kind of person he is, the things he accomplished off the field. I honestly think he's more deserving of the being included in the statue outside the stadium than just about any Husker including Berringer.

But the names on the ring of honor should be few, rare and undisputable. How could Burkhead be included but not Ahman Green?

THIS

Unfortantely, no, Rex probably doesn't get his name put up on the North endzone. You make an exception for Rex because of how great a person he is, then where do you cut it off? Berringer? Kenny Walker? Are Jeff Kinney and Turner Gill even up on the North endzone?

Rex will likely get some sort of team award named after him, something to do with on the field and off the field character.

I agree hat Ahman Green should not be in the ring of honor in part because he left for the NFL a year early ... but think about it ... he's the #2 all-time rusher with only 3 seasons, including one where he wasn't even the full-time starter playing behind LP.

So players are suppose to be discredited because they enter the draft without completing their eligibility. He was ready to play in the pros so the decision was made in respect to himself and the fact that he was a new father. I never understood that line of thinking. As a fan yes I would love for all of the great players to give us 4 years of production, but realistically, that's not going to happen. And a player's legacy shouldn't be discredited when it does.

And I'm glad you pointed out he didn't start all of his freshman year. He only started half that season I believe and started the season as the 4th or 5th back. Injuries and opportunities put him in the position to be great going for a 1000+ his first year on campus. Almost went for 2000 his Jr year. How many backs rush for 2000 yards and come back the following season especially after the hall of fame coach who recruited him announced that he was leaving after the season.

Maybe we should discredit TO for leaving while he was still healthy enough to continue coaching.

Unfortantely, no, Rex probably doesn't get his name put up on the North endzone. You make an exception for Rex because of how great a person he is, then where do you cut it off? Berringer? Kenny Walker? Are Jeff Kinney and Turner Gill even up on the North endzone?

Rex will likely get some sort of team award named after him, something to do with on the field and off the field character.

Agreed. Burkhead is everything you want in a student-athlete but if you put his name up in Memorial Stadium, the standard becomes pretty open-ended.

Combat, this is a great idea. If the criteria for inclusion on the ring of honor is a national award, then Rex does not meet that. However in terms of popular, great human being, best team mate etc, then Rex should be up there. Unfortunately, the criteria is a National Honor.

A case could be made that Brook Berringer was a stellar team mate as well. By all accounts never complained about playing time etc. Just the consumate team guy. I know he has a statue in his honor, but no ring of fame.

It is unfortunate for both Rex and Brook fans. Both should be up there IMHO.............:huskerflag:

Isn't the hall of fame based on accomplishments on the field and awards due to production on the field. Yes, you would like to pay tribute to great individuals for their character, but in that case, do you know how many great kids come through this program. We can't name off 70% of them because they weren't as physically talented Rex. If you want to base it on character, there are guys like Will compton, Sean Fisher, hell......Taylor Martinez.....look at the ridicule he gets week to week from media and FANS yet he still loves his team, his coach, this program.

I love RB and BB but neither has done enough on the field at their positions to be placed up there.

So players are suppose to be discredited because they enter the draft without completing their eligibility..

Yes, I agree with that statement. It's an asterix in his bio, to me. He could have come back and likely had a good shot at the Doak Walker or Heisman and getting his name up there if he wanted it. He should get no extra kudos for making that choice and, IMO, his Husker career should be evaluated with that in mind. I personally lost respect for him when he made that choice and I have never held him in high regard because of it. (I'm sure he doesn't care. ;))

Take the money or take the glory, it's your choice. He chose money over the program, which was his right. I know there are cases where the risk/reward is too high, or financial circumstances dictate the move (e.g. johnny mitchell), but that doesn't mean as fans we have to agree with it or ignore it in evaluating a player's career.

I don't think Rex and NU will end after his graduation. Brook has a well deserved tribute at the University due to his early death and the loss of a fine young man and the promise he had. I hope Rex will realize his future by getting long life and if he does I hope I'm still around when the university recognizes his accomplishments.

Yes, I agree with that statement. It's an asterix in his bio, to me. He could have come back and likely had a good shot at the Doak Walker or Heisman and getting his name up there if he wanted it. He should get no extra kudos for making that choice and, IMO, his Husker career should be evaluated with that in mind. I personally lost respect for him when he made that choice and I have never held him in high regard because of it. (I'm sure he doesn't care. ;))

Take the money or take the glory, it's your choice. He chose money over the program, which was his right. I know there are cases where the risk/reward is too high, or financial circumstances dictate the move (e.g. johnny mitchell), but that doesn't mean as fans we have to agree with it or ignore it in evaluating a player's career.

I'm not saying he gets extra kudos, especially for the fact that he doesn't need it. His choice was based on his own situation. How do you fault at 22 year old who is physically gifted to compete at the highest level for taking advantage of the opportunity to let his talent make a living for himself and his family.

He should have came back because he had a CHANCE to win the Heisman and/or the Doak Walker (the player he lost this award to had an even better season in 98 and won it again as well as the Heisman)? This logic to me is as self as some are making it seem for him entering the draft early.

If you compare their production on the field, it's Ahman Green hands down.

-AG was a Doak Walker runner up.......
-Burkhead was a semifinalist.

-AG had 12 consecutive 100 yard games (including 3 straight 200 yard games)........
-RB's longest 100 yard game streak was 3.

-AG 2nd Team All American ('97)/1st Team All big XII (97)/3rd Team All Big XII (96)/1st Team All Big 8 <coaches> 2nd Team All Big 8 <AP> (95)/Big 8 Off. Player of the year & Newcomer of the Year (95)/ Honorable Mention All American (95)
-RB 1st Team All B1G (11)/Honorable Mention All American <Sports Illustrated>(11)

Now obviously Rex has more citizenship awards than Green by far (though Green is a good guy also, as he was very active in his community back in Omaha. He sponsored and entire football league of 30 teams through the YMCA which gave elementary kids and their parents free membership for a full year so they can participate in sports) but what is the criteria to being a hall of famer.....a great player or a nice guy.

Also, I didn't add Green was big weapon in two National Championship runs in which they went undefeated. I'm not sure how he could be discredited but we show more love to another player simply because they came back their final season (that's a general statement, I understand the love for Rex). My example is Marlon Lucky......Had he left after '07 maybe his stock would have been higher but he was pushed to 2nd/3rd string his final season. And that's without a season ending injury.

Since nobody has mentioned it yet, I will (or I skimmed it and will repeat somebody):

To get your name on the North Stadium facade, you need to have your jersey or number retired.

How does one get their jersey retired? By winning a national award. Most of the names up there (Suh, D. Steinkuhler, Frazier, Crouch, Rozier, Rodgers, Alberts, Glover, Rimington, Jacobsen, Shields, Z. Wiegart, A. Taylor, G. Wistrom, and Riaola) won one - or more - national awards.

To get your number retired (i.e. out of circulation from Johnny Walk-On) you need to go above that. Here we're talking Train Wreck Novak, Rodgers, and NFL Hall of Famer Bob Brown (and I don't know if future Husker NFL Hall of Famers will be added or not)

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=123

We all love and respect Rex, but unless he goes on to an NFL Hall of Fame career, he's not getting his name on North Stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back