• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Rex Burkhead's name permanently displayed at Memorial Stadium?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK maybe he didn't win the Heisman or any MNCs with his team, but this guy should never be forgotten.

I will go all out here and say I believe Rex helped resurrect this program from the dark years back to national relevance. As I think back of all of the game saving runs, scores, blocks, throws, and catches this guy made, he really IS superman wearing red.

I hope in future years I will see the name REX BURKHEAD permanently displayed at Memorial. This guy is true Husker.

NOT going to happen. He is an excellent back , just not good enough to be put up on the ring of honor.

NOT going to happen. He is an excellent back , just not good enough to be put up on the ring of honor.

He has 3,136 career rushing yards good for 5th all-time behind Rozier, Green, Crouch and Helu. Pretty impressive given the number of games he missed this year.

It was realistic to envision him having been able to surpass Ahman Green from #2 all-time given he started the season 1,226 behind.

Obviously a lot of woulda, coulda, shouldas ... but his accomplishments as they stand right now are pretty impressive. Worthy enough for the ring of honor ... probably not. What makes RB stand out is the kind of person he is, the things he accomplished off the field. I honestly think he's more deserving of the being included in the statue outside the stadium than just about any Husker including Berringer.

But the names on the ring of honor should be few, rare and undisputable. How could Burkhead be included but not Ahman Green?

It's a shame his name probably won't get displayed prominently at the stadium but his replica #22 jersey will be in a fame and hung on the wall in my Husker man cave.

Rex Burkhead epitomizes so much of what it means to be a Cornhusker, UNL Student and a Nebraskan. If I had the $$$ I would commission a life sized likeness (in bronze) of him holding up that young man to the horseshoe before the Husker game a few weeks ago. Or something of the sort.

He is a tremendous roll model for young and old alike.

Call me crazy, but that's what I feel should be done sometime in the near future once Rex makes his path in life after football.

How could Burkhead be included but not Ahman Green?

My memory may be fading, but didn't Ahman quit the team and play for UNO his last year? Or part of it? That would necessarily disqualify him in my book, though his talent was immense.

My memory may be fading, but didn't Ahman quit the team and play for UNO his last year? Or part of it? That would necessarily disqualify him in my book, though his talent was immense.

No, he left NU after his junior year and was drafted by the Seattle Seahawks in the 3rd round.

Maybe they can stick his heart in a glass jar and all the players can touch the jar on the way out to the field....I wonder if they could carry the jar into the huddle

I agree hat Ahman Green should not be in the ring of honor in part because he left for the NFL a year early ... but think about it ... he's the #2 all-time rusher with only 3 seasons, including one where he wasn't even the full-time starter playing behind LP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back