• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

OU and Texas reach out to SEC

I agree with the bolded, and in light of today’s events, it does appear to be true.

However, I remember hearing / reading that the Big 8 needed the Texas teams - that it was a mutually beneficial move. Anyone remember those reasons? Would the Big 8 have already disintegrated?

A big part of the reason was that TV contracts had revolutionized from the CFA (remember that?) to TV contracts by conference, and the Big 8 didn't have enough of a population base to draw a larger conference. Adding Texas almost doubled the population in the conference footprint.

A second reason was that the NCAA had just approved the playing of a conference championship game for conferences that had 12 or more teams, and the SEC had been able to sign what was then considered a monumental contract because of it.

Something that often gets overlooked, but shouldn't, is that the Big 8 made the original offer to the entire remaining Southwest Conference to join the Big 8 (Arkansas had already left for the SEC). Texas didn't want that. They wanted it to be just them and Texas A&M. Governor Ann Richards was a Baylor Bears alum and a mini-dictator, and she told Texas that they had to take "my Bears" or she wouldn't allow the change. There was also a large contingent of state politicians from West Texas that got her to force them to also include Texas Tech. Bottom line: Texas has always been a 5-star prick.

Cue Dandy Don Meredith. The 2 locomotives pulling your gravy train are leaving the station without you K-State! No matter what happens this is gonna be fun to watch the former Big 12 implode!

1627342560122.jpeg

When OU and Texas leave the Big 12 the remaining members have no one to blame but themselves. After the Southwest Conference broke up none of those Texas teams should have been accepted into the Big 8. Texas A&M left the SWC to get away from Texas. Every thing Texas touches is tainted. I think the SEC is too powerful for them to do much damage, They will just be a mid-level wannabe there. Good riddens.

The governor has final say.

He has some say, but it's not exactly "final." He'd need legislative help to cut funding to OU, but that would be viewed as raw political manipulation by any part of the state that isn't Cowboy crazy, and Stitt is going to want to get re-elected soon. It's not clear that he'd get the legislative support he needs anyway.

He has some say, but it's not exactly "final." He'd need legislative help to cut funding to OU, but that would be viewed as raw political manipulation by any part of the state that isn't Cowboy crazy, and Stitt is going to want to get re-elected soon. It's not clear that he'd get the legislative support he needs anyway.
Maybe so, but them leaving is NOT good for OSU. Really leaves them is a bad spot. The state is heavy on OU versus OSU, probably 2/3 to 1/3 OU.

I could care less if he gets elected again. Never liked the guy. He’ll be in a tough spot on this for sure.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back