• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

OU and Texas reach out to SEC

because an independent, even ND, will lose a lot of luster with super conferences starting to grow, and when money falls, they will take notice... and it will fall because teams won't be playing outside the conference like they do now. The SEC is already playing very few OOC games.
The SEC plays 4 out of conference games every year versus 3 for the B1G. Not sure where you are going with this or maybe I didn't understand what you were trying to say.

Those cows are out of the barn, and they're not coming back. Unless the rest of the Big 12 schools have battered-wife syndrome, why would they want to continue the charade of pretending that the conference still has a future?
It only has no future if teams agree to move. Texas, is not getting shut out if anything. There is 24 million people in that state. If they wanted to stay, tv will still pay. They are chasing more money, both of them. They both will be lucky to win one conference title a decade, when the stars align. Right now, win the Big 12, you’re in the playoff most years. KSU, OSU, Kansas, Iowa State, West Virginia, or, Georgia, LSU, Alabama, Texas A&M, Florida? Yeah, from a competition standpoint, it’s stupid. They are already in the dance. Moving to the SEC? Yeah, good luck bruh, you gonna need it. All for more money and stuff. You will suffer on the field. Results will not be what your fan base is accustomed to. Just saying, you already in the damn dance, why make it harder? It’s not like they are suffering. Damn.

The SEC plays 4 out of conference games every year versus 3 for the B1G. Not sure where you are going with this or maybe I didn't understand what you were trying to say.

Bama plays 3 OOC games during the regular season this year.. My point was, that will change with a growing conference, it has to change. They will remove OOC games to play more conference teams.

Last edited:

No chance. ND will always attract teams to play it. I hate ND so I hope they end up in a conference because they don't want to be. Unless the playoff rules really do them a disservice I don't see it happening.

of course there is a chance. When conferences grow they will be playing less out of conference games.

I am not saying they would move to the B1G, but I am saying they would be forced to move... IF this move sparks the much talked about super conferences. I am not saying UT/OU move alone would do it.

Bama plays 3 OOC games during the regular season this year.. My point was, that will change with a growing conference, it has to change. They will remove OOC games to play more conference teams.
Alabama plays four OOC games this year just like they do every year.

Last edited:
I agree with what you are saying. Now is the time to make moves and not sit back. I would invite Texas and Oklahoma first. Get into a bidding war with SEC. If they show interest try to get Notre Dame and Kansas to join for an 18 team conference with 9 in west and 9 in east division. While many probably don't want Texas in mix - I say do it.

If Oklahoma and Texas join SEC, then raid SEC with invites to Missouri, Arkansas and Texas A&M (the teams likely opposed to said move). Try to get Notre Dame to join, if not Kansas.

At least these scenarios should be discussed in Big 10 office.
You're playing chess. Warren is hoping to get to checkers soon, but he continues to struggle with Connect 4.

I was looking at some numbers…. Big 12 current payout/team is ballpark 38 mill. AAC for example is like 5.5/team. Some programs are about to be knocked back to the dark ages. Super conferences are imminent. Soon there will be 3 to 4 “power” conferences. Even with playoff expansion we won’t be seeing lesser conference teams making a playoff anytime soon.

Texas and Oklahoma announce their departure from the Big 12​

As expected, Texas and Oklahoma announced their intentions to leave the Big 12 on Monday morning. In a statement, the programs said they would not renew their grant of rights agreement, which expires in 2025. That marks the first step for UT and OU to make their way to the SEC, though the exact timetable for that transition remains unknown.

The full statement can be read below:

The Oklahoma State legislatures won’t allow OU and OSU split. They receive state funding. OU would risk losing that should they separate from OSU. I doubt they are willing to do that.

This isn't accurate. OU and Ok State have separate Boards of Governors, and the situation is set up so that funding is not supposed to be suspended by political maneuvering. Each board has final say over these decisions.

The league was doomed the minute they expanded the Big 8. Texas has so many demands for a school that really isn't that great on the field.

I really hope Texas ends up in the PAC and OU in the SEC (I'd like OU in the B1G, but that isn't happening).
I agree with the bolded, and in light of today’s events, it does appear to be true.

However, I remember hearing / reading that the Big 8 needed the Texas teams - that it was a mutually beneficial move. Anyone remember those reasons? Would the Big 8 have already disintegrated?

Last edited:
I agree with the bolded, and in light of today’s events, it does appear to be true.

However, I remember hearing / reading that the Big 8 needed the Texas teams - that it was a mutually beneficial move. Anyone remember those reasons? Would the Big 8 have already disintegrated?
I think it's a foregone conclusion an 8 team conference had no long term hopes for survival. It might have stuck around a few more years but the natural thing to do was merge with the SWC or be sucked up in bits and pieces. It was the right thing to do when we went to 12 it was just too bad it couldn't work out. At it's peak the Big 12 might have been the 3rd best conference maybe 4th behind the SEC, Big 10, then you had ACC, Big 12, and Pac fighting for respectability.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back