• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

OU and Texas reach out to SEC

Sorry, haven't heard that before about the whole Cal system. Standard obviously but that's not in the Cal system. UCLA and Berkely do fit.

Not to derail this thread, just curious is all as I've spent a lot of time looking at colleges over the years and I had never heard this.

If B1G academic faculties were given the choice, Nebraska fans would be horrified to realize how much of the B1G's faculty and admin would prefer going the route of the Ivies (non-scholarship sports) versus going all in for football, e.g. the SEC.

It’s not worth more money if it will make you less successful. Texas and OU should stay where they are, be happy, win, and try to enhance their own league.

Those cows are out of the barn, and they're not coming back. Unless the rest of the Big 12 schools have battered-wife syndrome, why would they want to continue the charade of pretending that the conference still has a future?

The league was doomed the minute they expanded the Big 8. Texas has so many demands for a school that really isn't that great on the field.

I really hope Texas ends up in the PAC and OU in the SEC (I'd like OU in the B1G, but that isn't happening).

This is where I'm leaning, too: OU in the SEC, Texas in the PAC. Each makes sense for their own reasons, but if OU feels the need to continue to coddle UT's cajones, well.....

If B1G academic faculties were given the choice, Nebraska fans would be horrified to realize how much of the B1G's faculty and admin would prefer going the route of the Ivies (non-scholarship sports) versus going all in for football, e.g. the SEC.
No doubt in my mind about this. I'm guessing the vast majority would go that route in a minute. I'm sure to them sports is a barbaric waste of time.

This is where I'm leaning, too: OU in the SEC, Texas in the PAC. Each makes sense for their own reasons, but if OU feels the need to continue to coddle UT's cajones, well.....
Reading Twitter from various people that are "experts" it appears that A&M may have enough votes (4) to keep Uterus out.

I can't imagine Texass making this move without having essentially secured a spot in the SEC but it is Horns Down and I could see them thinking they'll have tons of suitors lined up at the door.

Let's assume that OU and Texas are off the table. If I'm the B1G, I go nuclear and aim for 20 teams instead of 16.

Raid the ACC and make offers to Notre Dame, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, Clemson, Georgia Tech and Florida State.

Scrap the divisions. Teams get 3-4 protected rivals every year (Nebraska-Iowa, Ohio State-Michigan, etc) and the CCG is a two-round affair between the top 4 teams in the conference.

I'm absolutely aligned with your way of thinking,.. but ... alas ... we have Kevin19 for our commissioner. He's still focused on hiring more women in athletic departments. He isn't capable of grasping the moment.

Maybe he isn't any better, but the conference that is primed to make these sorts of big moves is the PAC, if their new commissioner is up to the task. They've been the 5th wheel for most of the CFP era, and they finally got rid of Scott, so if their new commissioner is worth his salt, they'll look to expand east as fast and as far as possible. If Texas is blackballed from the SEC, they should add them and as many of the Big 12 rump schools that remain. If Texas is approved, they should offer the moon to Texas A&M to lure them away while their feelings are hurt. The PAC is teetering on the verge of irrelevance, and if they don't do something soon and big, Oregon, USC, and the teams east of Reno will be looking to go elsewhere.

Last edited:
I'm absolutely aligned with your way of thinking,.. but ... alas ... we have Kevin19 for our commissioner. He's still focused on hiring more women in athletic departments. He isn't capable of grasping the moment.

Maybe he isn't any better, but the conference that is primed to make these sorts of big moves is the PAC, if their new commissioner is up to the task. They've been the 5th wheel for most of the CFP era, and they finally got rid of Scott, so if their new commissioner is worth his salt, they'll look to expand east as fast and as far as possible. If Texas is blackballed from the SEC, they should add them and as many of the Big 12 rump schools that remain. If Texas is approved, they should offer the moon to Texas A&M to lure them away while their feelings are hurt. The PAC is teetering on the verge of irrelevance, and if they don't do something soon and big, Oregon, USC, and the teams east of Reno will be looking to go elsewhere.

The Pac-12 is basically just USC and then either Oregon or Washington. It seems like as soon as the Ducks or Huskies get hot, the other team falls off the wagon. If I'm the Pac-12 commish, I'm looking to make a MAJOR dent in college football before the folks East of the Rockies eat my lunch.

Nuclear option for Pac-12? Offer Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska and BYU. That basically locks up West of the Missouri River as Pac-12 country and cements fertile recruiting grounds in California, Arizona and Texas. Put teams into a 4x4 pod model and you've got some actual games people care about.

Forgetting the politics of Texas for a minute (if that's even possible), who wouldn't want guaranteed games against Oklahoma, Texas and Colorado on an annual basis?

ANebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Colorado
BUtah, BYY, Arizona, Arizona State
CWashington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State
DCal, Stanford, USC, UCLA

Hot Take - The SEC requires 11 out of 14 members to approve a new team joining the conference.

A&M will vote against Texas. No question. But I wonder if Mizzou and Arkansas might also.

I could see this going sideways where the conference rejects this move, or takes just Oklahoma. The SEC has been vocal about not wanting to double down on states they already cover (so no Florida State, Miami, etc). I'd expect them to shoot for Virginia Tech or North Carolina if they only get Oklahoma.

If I'm the Big Ten brass, I'm prepared with a major counter offer for Oklahoma+ Notre Dame/Kansas. That move locks things up nicely and sort of hamstrings the SEC into either accepting a shotgun marriage to Texas, or just ignoring them completely and Texas is left in the cold with a bunch of has-been Big XII teams.
I agree with what you are saying. Now is the time to make moves and not sit back. I would invite Texas and Oklahoma first. Get into a bidding war with SEC. If they show interest try to get Notre Dame and Kansas to join for an 18 team conference with 9 in west and 9 in east division. While many probably don't want Texas in mix - I say do it.

If Oklahoma and Texas join SEC, then raid SEC with invites to Missouri, Arkansas and Texas A&M (the teams likely opposed to said move). Try to get Notre Dame to join, if not Kansas.

At least these scenarios should be discussed in Big 10 office.

Reading Twitter from various people that are "experts" it appears that A&M may have enough votes (4) to keep Uterus out.

I can't imagine Texass making this move without having essentially secured a spot in the SEC but it is Horns Down and I could see them thinking they'll have tons of suitors lined up at the door.
You’re discounting the power of the dollar. If Texas and OU join, the next SEC broadcasting rights contract will be the biggest ever. Every school will get paid more. Football is about money not feelings.

Last edited:

They aren't getting ND. Why would ND move? Unless/until ND is kept out of the playoffs they will never join a conference. There is literally no reason for them to do so.

I would love them to join the B1G so I have another B1G team to literally hate on but I don't see it happening.

I could see KU and maybe ISU being pulling in.

because an independent, even ND, will lose a lot of luster with super conferences starting to grow, and when money falls, they will take notice... and it will fall because teams won't be playing outside the conference like they do now. The SEC is already playing very few OOC games.

Last edited:

because an independent, even ND, will lose a lot of luster with super conferences starting to grow, and when money falls, they will take notice... and it will fall because teams won't be playing outside the conference like they do now. The SEC is already playing very few OOC games.
No chance. ND will always attract teams to play it. I hate ND so I hope they end up in a conference because they don't want to be. Unless the playoff rules really do them a disservice I don't see it happening.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back