• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

OU and Texas reach out to SEC

Perhaps this article will shed some light on the claim they are hooked together. According to this article that's simply not true. Goes on to explain how the system works in Oklahoma for both schools.

Like I said, it was 2010. The guy was on the news. He was saying they were tied together. He was a state legislator. Maybe since then, steps have been taken, I don’t know. It was a long tine ago.

Perhaps this article will shed some light on the claim they are hooked together. According to this article that's simply not true. Goes on to explain how the system works in Oklahoma for both schools.

BTW, much has happened since the 1950’s. Also, the Governor is an Oklahoma State graduate. I’m kinda guessing he won’t oversee a move like that because it is not in Oklahoma State’s best interest. OU leaving would hurt them significantly. It would leave them in a state of flux.

We’re you drinking that day? ;)
I might have been, but I know what I heard and saw. It wasn’t as simple as just leaving. There were/are many ramifications of it. Like you said, it would be a challenge. Looks like they won’t have the votes to get in either. They should stay put, forget the extra 15 million a year, and keep running the Big 12. It aLmost assures them success and a shot at an NC. Move, and it will become increasingly more difficult to win their division, or the conference, much less the NC.

Cal system already referred to as the "Public Ivies" as you already know. Well it was when I went there. So yeah I agree a 100% with you
Sorry, haven't heard that before about the whole Cal system. Standard obviously but that's not in the Cal system. UCLA and Berkely do fit.

Not to derail this thread, just curious is all as I've spent a lot of time looking at colleges over the years and I had never heard this.

It’s not worth more money if it will make you less successful. Texas and OU should stay where they are, be happy, win, and try to enhance their own league. Like they should have done with the original Big 12. It would still be a very formidable league as the original. No one was taking it away. So you make a few less $$, bfd, you still have a strong league that wins and is highly competitive. Also, you’re in your own territory. Nebraska @Rutgers makes no sense, ever. Greed and stupidity ruined that league, and it looks like they are trying to do it again.

BTW, much has happened since the 1950’s. Also, the Governor is an Oklahoma State graduate. I’m kinda guessing he won’t oversee a move like that because it is not in Oklahoma State’s best interest. OU leaving would hurt them significantly. It would leave them in a state of flux.
My only point was it doesn't appear there's any law the stops it from happening.

It’s not worth more money if it will make you less successful. Texas and OU should stay where they are, be happy, win, and try to enhance their own league. Like they should have done with the original Big 12. It would still be a very formidable league as the original. No one was taking it away. So you make a few less $$, bfd, you still have a strong league that wins and is highly competitive. Also, you’re in your own territory. Nebraska @Rutgers makes no sense, ever. Greed and stupidity ruined that league, and it looks like they are trying to do it again.
The league was doomed the minute they expanded the Big 8. Texas has so many demands for a school that really isn't that great on the field.

I really hope Texas ends up in the PAC and OU in the SEC (I'd like OU in the B1G, but that isn't happening).

If it happens it assures two SEC teams in every playoff, and always seeded one and two. They also never have to play any games out of the South and ESPN will salivate and pump them to the sky.I think A&M is their big hurdle as far as getting in goes.

And Texas will find that Alabama, Florida, Georgia and LSU are tougher nuts to crack than NU. No way Texas runs that conference.

And as for BIG, only adding ND is a logical counterweight to that move, and that isn't much. It probably cannot be done anyway. Adding teams like Kansas or other Big 8 schools gives them nothing, and California schools are too far away.

But it's all irrelevant anyway. College football is on a very slippery slope and I don't think it will find the traction to stop sliding. This deal does a decent job of setting up the professional college teams arrangement post NIL quite well.

If it happens it assures two SEC teams in every playoff, and always seeded one and two. They also never have to play any games out of the South and ESPN will salivate and pump them to the sky.I think A&M is their big hurdle as far as getting in goes.

And Texas will find that Alabama, Florida, Georgia and LSU are tougher nuts to crack than NU. No way Texas runs that conference.

And as for BIG, only adding ND is a logical counterweight to that move, and that isn't much. It probably cannot be done anyway. Adding teams like Kansas or other Big 8 schools gives them nothing, and California schools are too far away.

But it's all irrelevant anyway. College football is on a very slippery slope and I don't think it will find the traction to stop sliding. This deal does a decent job of setting up the professional college teams arrangement post NIL quite well.

I 100% agree.. adding KU or ISU or UTEP and any other school like that would be stupid. The B1G needs big name schools, footprint be damned. spread the footprint I say

Oh God. Letting Texas into the old Big 8 was perhaps the biggest mistake in sports history. The Big 8 was the greatest college football conference the world had ever seen, but the Longhorns ruined it with their totally insatiable demands. I hated to see Nebraska leave the Big 12, but Texas had turned it into a total nightmare. If the SEC has any sense, it will kill this deal as quickly as possible.

If there's anyone who can hold grudges longer and harder than Texas, it's a bunch of southern hillbillies and rednecks. Texas can try to throw their weight around, but they're not Alabama. And generally, I'd say Florida, Georgia and LSU will side with Tuscaloosa.

From a competitive standpoint, Texas might have just shot themselves in the foot.

Yes, A&M had the distinction of being the only Texas school in the SEC. But assuming that BOTH major Texas schools (plus Oklahoma) are in the SEC, high school kids will basically want to only play in the SEC. There's no more debate over going to the SEC or the Big XII. And that means that Alabama and Georgia will pillage State of Texas recruiting even more than they have.

Too many cooks in the kitchen. Texas is going to struggle to keep up, at least initially.

Sorry, haven't heard that before about the whole Cal system. Standard obviously but that's not in the Cal system. UCLA and Berkely do fit.

Not to derail this thread, just curious is all as I've spent a lot of time looking at colleges over the years and I had never heard this.

Part 3 in this article

"University of California System"

Also here under "What Are The Public Ivies"

Also here "University of California Entire System"

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back