• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Official: USC/UCLA Joining B1G in 2024

I didn't read through the entirety of the thread, but if USC goes B10... That creates a last opportunity for Notre Dame... nearly forcing their hand in this as well. They cant stay like they are and expect the status quo to remain with the shifting this is causing.

Or am I really looking into it too far? Independents don't have a future where this is all going.
I think you're right on.

Notre Dame better find a seat before the music stops, and they won't find a better one than the Big 10.

The powers that be have been clamoring for a 4 conf 16 team set up since the current natty set up.
2 Conferences are in, how the other 3 plus potentially a few other teams form into the other 2 is anyones guess.

In the end I am not sure they are done with 16. I bet both the SEC and Big 10 have plans if they need to go to 18-20.

I wonder if the hire of Brett Yormack to be the next Pac 12 commissioner helped push USC/UCLA out the door due to his lack of NCAA experience and more of an entertainment / NBA background? I'm sure the simple answer is just a seat at the big kids table = $$$$

So is this the reason for the conference schedules disappearing? Not the 3-3-5, but to make changes for new teams.

MEH! This is just the continuance of the ruin of college football. USC and UCLA have zero business being member teams of the B1G 10 IMPO. Will I watch the games, of course I will, but it doesn't get me excited at all. I'd rather have say Notre Dame and Colorado join. I miss the BIG 8, better times were had then.

I wonder if the hire of Brett Yormack to be the next Pac 12 commissioner helped push USC/UCLA out the door due to his lack of NCAA experience and more of an entertainment / NBA background? I'm sure the simple answer is just a seat at the big kids table = $$$$

I think the new television contract negotiation estimates for the SEC and Big 10 also probably pushed them to make a move.

Last edited:
SEC: "Let's grab all the tradition southern powers."

B1G: "Let's grab all the major TV markets across the country."

One of these is a better business play.
I'd go with the SEC's power grab. Better teams, better all around football games. More championship caliber play in the South.

MEH! This is just the continuance of the ruin of college football. USC and UCLA have zero business being member teams of the B1G 10 IMPO. Will I watch the games, of course I will, but it doesn't get me excited at all. I'd rather have say Notre Dame and Colorado join. I miss the BIG 8, better times were had then.
They are looking for $$$$$ at this point

Rumor is swirling about Stanford (Bay Area market), TCU (DFW market), and some combination of Oregon, Washington, and Kansas.

If the SEC+B1G turns into NFFL Jr., look for the Irish to finally join up with a conference.

Also, if football (and basketball?) breaks away, it would free up Olympic sports to pursue better geography. Imagine wrestling and volleyball still playing "Big 8" teams while Husker football is in the Pigskin Thunderdome. That eases a lot of travel burden for women's rifle and men's bowling.

Now you would be staring to discuss pushing out the NCAA. Make a conference so powerful you make its own rules.

SEC would try and counter and would do so in football and baseball. But there are a lot of sports they would fall far behind in.

Seems sort of a stretch though.

They are looking for $$$$$ at this point
They've been looking for money for decades. I mean, $16 dollars for a beer, and $12 dollars for a hot dog.... It's to the point that a working class family with two children have to "Save up for months" if they want the full experience just to go to a college football game. God forbid if the game they want is on the road or they have to travel and get a hotel room. Oh well, such is the way things are. I'm still not excited about UCLA or USC joining the conference.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back