• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Official: USC/UCLA Joining B1G in 2024

B1G will get at least $1B for their TV contract when USC/UCLA comes on.

It will possibly raise too if they also grab TCU and Stanford as has been alluded to in other posts.

They've been looking for money for decades. I mean, $16 dollars for a beer, and $12 dollars for a hot dog.... It's to the point that a working class family with two children have to "Save up for months" if they want the full experience just to go to a college football game. God forbid if the game they want is on the road or they have to travel and get a hotel room. Oh well, such is the way things are. I'm still not excited about UCLA or USC joining the conference.
Yes but now with NIl they are looking at this a whole lot different. Colorado boosters are not gonna put up the same money as USC and it comes down to recruiting of which the kids say… whatcha got for me

That seems like a short term solution, though. Over time, the TV markets/money of the B1G will eclipse that of the SEC.
Perhaps and on paper it does make sense. But with NIL, college ball is essentially a minor league pro set up, and the best talent will seek the best teams and the best teams will pay the best talent. Those major TV markets will still showing the SEC teams on TV and kids with talent will be able to make their minds up where they want to go.

Hell, who knows, if the B1G's TV market money is enough to start paying kids more than the SEC does, it could change a lot of things. Guess we'll find out over the next decade how this all plays out.

Perhaps and on paper it does make sense. But with NIL, college ball is essentially a minor league pro set up, and the best talent will seek the best teams and the best teams will pay the best talent. Those major TV markets will still showing the SEC teams on TV and kids with talent will be able to make their minds up where they want to go.

Hell, who knows, if the B1G's TV market money is enough to start paying kids more than the SEC does, it could change a lot of things. Guess we'll find out over the next decade how this all plays out.

It's not just NIL. If the B1G can outbid the SEC for the best coaches, and can build better facilities, at least some players will follow.

Yes but now with NIl they are looking at this a whole lot different. Colorado boosters are not gonna put up the same money as USC and it comes down to recruiting of which the kids say… whatcha got for me
That's most likely true I think and it's a good point, but who says the money has to come from actual boosters of a said school? The money can come from anywhere now(as if it didn't before) with out fear of some infraction. But sadly, with NIL, it's just all about the Benjamins anyways.

Now you would be staring to discuss pushing out the NCAA. Make a conference so powerful you make its own rules.

SEC would try and counter and would do so in football and baseball. But there are a lot of sports they would fall far behind in.

Seems sort of a stretch though.

If Stanford gets an invite but not Cal, I might have to pitch a fit. :O O:

Edit: Sorry, that should have been in response to DuckTown's post.

Last edited:
It's not just NIL. If the B1G can outbid the SEC for the best coaches, and can build better facilities, at least some players will follow.
They've had the opportunities to have done this all along. Not saying it's a bad thing, I'm just saying I don't care at all about UCLA or USC. Adding those two teams to the conference isn't going to make Nebraska a better team.

If Stanford gets an invite but not Cal, I might have to pitch a fit.
Remember when we beat Cal 45 - 0. I had a Cal fan verbally attack me online about a year or so afterwards. I brought up that score and the stat sheet. He had nothing more to say.... HAHAHA! My, how times have changed.

That's kind of what I was getting at.

Also, the SEC is firmly, well... southern. A move like USC / UCLA and maybe some further expansion makes the B1G truly a national league.

My thought? Go to 20 or 24 teams.

TCU and Kansas snatch up DFW and KC markets, but then I'd pursue Clemson and Florida State - hard. It makes some inroads on the SEC footprint before they totally lock up Georgia-Florida.

If we go 24 teams, than chase after Oregon, Washington, Notre Dame and perhaps Georgia Tech.

Remember when we beat Cal 45 - 0. I had a Cal fan verbally attack me online about a year or so afterwards. I brought up that score and the stat sheet. He had nothing more to say.... HAHAHA! My, how times have changed.

We're touchy about our horrible, horrible football team. At least Nebraska has a record of success more recent than the 1930's.

They've been looking for money for decades. I mean, $16 dollars for a beer, and $12 dollars for a hot dog.... It's to the point that a working class family with two children have to "Save up for months" if they want the full experience just to go to a college football game. God forbid if the game they want is on the road or they have to travel and get a hotel room. Oh well, such is the way things are. I'm still not excited about UCLA or USC joining the conference.

Fans have been one of the last considerations in these type of moves.

Fans have been one of the last considerations in these type of moves.
That pretty much sums it all up. And it's to bad really, as it's not going to stop people from going to games, betting on games, none of that, it's just going to coast people way more money than it should if they do decide to go to the game in person. Hell, now that I think about it, it looks exactly like they are pushing for way more people watching on TV/Online than actually going to the games. I'm looking at an 80 inch TV to replace my 60 inch TV and I guess I'll be staying home a whole lot more and that is what they are counting on.

It's a pretty good plan actually if I think about it.

SEC: "Let's grab all the traditional southern powers."

B1G: "Let's grab all the major TV markets across the country."

One of these is a better business play.

I think you are spot on with this. Some of the possible largest media markets left for the Big 10 to grab would be according to Wikipedia link…

Dallas- #5 Market Size
San Francisco- #6
Phoenix- #11
Denver- #16
Miami/Ft. Lauderdale- #18

For comparison purposes…
Kansas City…KU- #34

Last edited:
That pretty much sums it all up. And it's to bad really, as it's not going to stop people from going to games, betting on games, none of that, it's just going to coast people way more money than it should if they do decide to go to the game in person. Hell, now that I think about it, it looks exactly like they are pushing for way more people watching on TV/Online than actually going to the games. I'm looking at an 80 inch TV to replace my 60 inch TV and I guess I'll be staying home a whole lot more and that is what they are counting on.

It's a pretty good plan actually if I think about it.

In the end you will save a lot of time and money.

I think you are spot on with this. Some of the possible largest media markets left for the Big 10 to grab would be according to Wikipedia link…

Dallas- #5 Market Size
San Francisco- #6
Phoenix- #11
Denver- #16
Miami/Ft. Lauderdale- #18

For comparison purposes…
Kansas City…KU- #34

Seattle-#12. Not a big fan of UW, but there would be reasons to target them over Miami.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back