• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Narduzzi = Can't Remember??

While I believe that we've all seen some "head scratching" play calls over the recent years, I am encouraged most by Whipple's comments in interviews stating to the effect that he will adjust his play calling/strategy to the players (and their strengths) that are in the game.

And his recent comment regarding "... understanding the situation..." is also encouraging if Whipple himself demonstrates these concepts in the way he performs (i.e. calls the offense).

With the stakes as high as they are for Frost & Company, it's going to be very interesting to see how our offense performs this season.

I honestly don’t know what he’ll do here. None of us do. No idea what input SF will have on things, how much he lets him coach, any of it. We will just have to see how it plays out. I think, most would be lying, if they said they did not have some concerns about how this will work. I found the hire to be very odd, but I’m also willing to give the man a fair chance. Lord knows, the dudes that were let go, weren’t cutting it.
With all the faces, no way of telling whether things will suddenly gel. Odds are probably against it, but hope springs eternal. As you said, the last group of coaches weren’t getting it done.

coach from another conference whom we don't play, for me it is a none issue. Acc to Big 10 is apples to oranges. I suggest we don't get in the middle of a 'family' squabble and let this play out. Nards maybe right in the end but really not worth worrying over.

Why would Narduzzi say something like that publicly about his former assistant? There is absolutely no value in doing that in the coaching profession. They won the ACC for goodness sake. Perhaps his comments were in jest or sarcastic, but why throw a former colleague under the bus?
That's what I'm saying, he'll be lucky to get many other assistants on board in the future after comments like this

Y"all do realize Pitt ran the ball 38 times a game and threw it 40 in 2021

Check the running stats between NU and Pitt in 2021 they are closely similar

In the WF game they ran it 32 not 10 times as the head coach said and won 45-21

He made a fool of himself

He is butt hurt because he lost a Heisman Candidate QB. To the NFL and the leading WR in the country to USC and his OC

He also went after Michigan State and the B1G and looked stupid doing so

He is getting lit up as is the podcaster as they should in my opinion

The podcaster should have done his homework before putting the product out there

Not to mention they were 11-2 for God's sake

Bottom line the head coach ran his mouth and does not look good

Let's see how he does this year with those three gone

Crazy that he says that about "IF" Kenny Pickett played, but the Heisman finalist on the other side didn't play either. What would the score had been if Walker and Pickett played? Probably not much different

I honestly don’t know what he’ll do here. None of us do. No idea what input SF will have on things, how much he lets him coach, any of it. We will just have to see how it plays out. I think, most would be lying, if they said they did not have some concerns about how this will work. I found the hire to be very odd, but I’m also willing to give the man a fair chance. Lord knows, the dudes that were let go, weren’t cutting it.
The hire certainly wasn't odd, it's a guy who got the ball rolling and has proven to develop QBs. No reason to think Casey Thompson won't improve. Not saying he will, but Whipple's got history

Wasn’t there the last 5 years. Whipple and Watson were. If you want to stretch you can do what you’d like but it’s 2 guys in the last 5 years anyway you look at it. But sure word play all you want. DP’s post is wrong
No, they have had 4 different ones between the 15-16 season and the 21-22 season.

Wasn’t there the last 5 years. Whipple and Watson were. If you want to stretch you can do what you’d like but it’s 2 guys in the last 5 years anyway you look at it. But sure word play all you want. DP’s post is wrong

I'll play. 6 years (as I did say "5-6 years"), 2016-now (6 calendar years, 7 seasons).

2016: Matt Canada
2017-2018: Shawn Watson
2019-2020: Mark Whipple
2021-2022 (now): Frank Cignetti Jr

So, I apologize, it was NOT 5 (it was 4) but it sure as heck wasn't 2.

Last edited:
The hire certainly wasn't odd, it's a guy who got the ball rolling and has proven to develop QBs. No reason to think Casey Thompson won't improve. Not saying he will, but Whipple's got history
it was a guy who had one good season as an OC, after a career of middling ones. it was an odd hire. nobody else was going after whipple

Wild background … in 42 years he’s had 15 different employers.

Never in one place too long. 2 jobs with 5 year stints and one with a 4 year stint. Two of those 3 jobs was two stints as HC at UMass.

He‘s been in the NFL - Steelers, Browns and Eagles for 3, 2 and 1 year respectively.

He‘s joined several staffs midway through a HC’s tenure only to end up getting fired (which might happen again).

He seems to be very transient …

It is odd. His offensive concept is no where close to what Frost believes, or, did believe in. Also, people over the years haven’t beaten the doors down trying to hire the guy. I had never heard of him prior to last year. I admit it. Like I said, I’m sure he’s better than what was here, and I’m willing to give Coach W a fair shot. We’ll have a damn good idea of things after OU.

Wild background … in 42 years he’s had 15 different employers.

Never in one place too long. 2 jobs with 5 year stints and one with a 4 year stint. Two of those 3 jobs was two stints as HC at UMass.

He‘s been in the NFL - Steelers, Browns and Eagles for 3, 2 and 1 year respectively.

He‘s joined several staffs midway through a HC’s tenure only to end up getting fired (which might happen again).

He seems to be very transient …
I'm not sure that's a terribly unusual resume for an assistant football coach, especially a guy who has been in both college and NFL. Guys with longevity of Osborne or his assistants are unicorns in the field.

Is it Whipple's fault that some posters hadn't heard of him? Lots of us had. (I know you didn't say that wcbsas.)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back