• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Narduzzi = Can't Remember??

Coaches are big on loyalty … many give it blindly and excessively. I suspect PN felt like he gave it to MW … and I suspect PN felt like the loyalty wasn’t repaid.

I disagree he also went after Michigan State

Its not just a Whipple thing with him

He really needs to put a cork in it

Last edited:

Coaches are big on loyalty … many give it blindly and excessively. I suspect PN felt like he gave it to MW … and I suspect PN felt like the loyalty wasn’t repaid.
Maybe. But I had heard that Whipple may have been planning to retire before we lured him with a big paycheck.

Oh well. This too will pass. Hope Whipple gets this offense moving.

I hear you. There is concern that Whipple may want to pass more than NU fans would like him to. Hopefully our O-line is ready to open up some holes for RB’s this year to allow 2nd and 3rd down options.

But what PN said is just silly. They ran more that game (relatively ineffectively) than passed. An almost perfect balance in play calling. They scored 45 points using the passing game. As NU fans have realized, style points aren’t as important as winning. The idea of looking down on a win because there wasn’t enough rushing yardage is a good strategy for failure. Do what works at the moment. They apparently ran enough that they weren’t predictable.

They won the game. All PN should be saying about Whipple is thank you. If he wants his next coach to be run oriented, hire someone who fits that mold.

Now, am I concerned that Whipple may not run enough and be too pass happy? Not yet. We seem to have some promising RB’s in the fold. I think Whipple will use them if Raiola can develop an effective o-line. If Whipple wins but has more passing than rushing, I’m good.
I honestly don’t know what he’ll do here. None of us do. No idea what input SF will have on things, how much he lets him coach, any of it. We will just have to see how it plays out. I think, most would be lying, if they said they did not have some concerns about how this will work. I found the hire to be very odd, but I’m also willing to give the man a fair chance. Lord knows, the dudes that were let go, weren’t cutting it.

I honestly don’t know what he’ll do here. None of us do. No idea what input SF will have on things, how much he lets him coach, any of it. We will just have to see how it plays out. I think, most would be lying, if they said they did not have some concerns about how this will work. I found the hire to be very odd, but I’m also willing to give the man a fair chance. Lord knows, the dudes that were let go, weren’t cutting it.
After the W-L record under Frost I think most have concerns regardless of who the OC is.

Looking at run/pass ratios can be misleading if folks want to gauge tendencies. Successful teams almost always run more, Early game success will typically lead to more runs later in the game. When you strip that away, there is absolutely no doubt Whip is a pass-happy playcaller (I like to look at first half ratios when attempting to identify gameplanning approach). But if one wants to use that measuring stick (run vs pass), historically he passes more than runs. That's a statistical truth and I even outlined that in a thread after his hiring. Narduzzi may very well feel jilted by MW's departure and may be losing his marbles right now, but I've seen this claim first-hand and can confirm there is a level of truth to his overall observation.

He's (Whip) a smart guy but also stubborn and set in his ways, like most veteran coaches. It wiill be interesting to see if his offensive philosophy morphs with playing in a run-heavy, physical conference. If so, he'll be more than fine, and based on what Benning said a couple of weeks ago, he may be doing just that. We shall see!

Last edited:
going after other coaches is just a lack of character IMO. This tells me more about Narduzzi than Whipple. Its one of the reasons I've had hard time getting on board with SF at times. The way he took on past coaches in public.
Bobby Bowden, TO and other respected all time greats would never do this. SF needs to learn that. And IMO Narduzzi, even if theres some merit to it, comes out looking bad more than whipple.

I will also say that just because Whipple threw it too much at times, even if that were true, doesnt mean hes not able to adjust as he goes on. im confident that SF will have whipple reign that in if he needs to.

And if Narduzzi thought he passed too much, then does he not have a control of his coordinators? tells me Narduzzi isnt in charge of his assistants in that case.

Last edited:

going after other coaches is just a lack of character IMO. This tells me more about Narduzzi than Whipple. Its one of the reasons I've had hard time getting on board with SF at times. The way he took on past coaches in public.
Bobby Bowden, TO and other respected all time greats would never do this. SF needs to learn that. And IMO Narduzzi, even if theres some merit to it, comes out looking bad more than whipple.

I will also say that just because Whipple threw it too much at times, even if that were true, doesnt mean hes not able to adjust as he goes on. im confident that SF will have whipple reign that in if he needs to.

And if Narduzzi thought he passed too much, then does he not have a control of his coordinators? tells me Narduzzi isnt in charge of his assistants in that case.

Good post.

However I am concerned that Frost will want him to pass it more!!! :thumbsup:

Stats are funny and can be used however you want. A team judged pass happy may be so simply because they get behind quickly (poor defense) and can't catch up by running the ball.
A team judged a heavy run team my be so because a few quick passing TDs give them the luxury of playing slowly (i.e., running the ball) and working the clock. Hard to label those teams in those cases.

If Whipple gets with the message current officating is shouting at coaches, he will pass considerably more than the Huskers did when they were running the option runs. Defenses in the secondary are behind where they were during TOs times as far as the rules are concerned.

I have a hard time comparing anything with the Husker offenses of the past few years., because I have a hard time describing what their plans were. Snap it to the QB in shotgun, he holds it a long time (poor routes run? slow QB decision making?) and then he runs with it and gets clobbered. Does that show up in the running stats making them a run team? Or the QB throws a pass to a back running parallel to the line of scrimage in a manner that makes it hard for him to move up the field even if he catches the pass. That's supposed to substitute for a run. does it?

I just hope the QB can make quicker decisions when he is trying to pass, the WRs can get open to permit him to do that, and we can have some creative TE and RB routes to use them as safety valves. As for running plays, I'd like to see greater creativity on play designs than we have had recently.

I for one have not placed the blame simply a poor OL the last couple of years, even though it wasn't very good. There is much more that has to be considered.

So run, pass - I don't care which. Just do them with more speed and creativity. And please, don't use the backs that at the first sign of a tackler will immediately run toward the sidelines. They never outrun the defense.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back