• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Morning practices confirmed

I had also read it was somewhat dependent on the male/female ratio of the student body....does that factor in at all? Or does it apply only to athletic team participation.
Actually I thought it was based on scholarships. (Money spent) So the only money that walkons spend are uniforms and training table.

- academic support, scheduling and counseling
- athletic apparel
- pathway/in-roads to future career in coaching, training ...
- relationships and connections with coaches, administration that can prove to be valuable
I don't think they get the academic support, unless that recently changed.

The solution to gender equity problems in college sports could be solved by excluding football from the equation. I understand that it kind of defeats the purpose of the rule, but the letter of the law has caused mens sports to be dropped at a rate at least as high as new womens opportunities are introduced. Football pays the bills, but it skews the numbers dramatically as it is a high volume scholarship sport. If we exclude it from the count we wont have to sacrifice non revenue mens sports to account for gender equity.

I think Trapped is on to something. I don't see any downside, except from the ladies to the extreme left. Trapped has made some very cogent points that would certainly iron out some wrinkles. It would certainly open up many more opportunities for students that may need assistance in order to obtain a degree.

I think Trapped is on to something. I don't see any downside, except from the ladies to the extreme left. Trapped has made some very cogent points that would certainly iron out some wrinkles. It would certainly open up many more opportunities for students that may need assistance in order to obtain a degree.

Oh of course what trapped has to say has some logic to it, but Title IX is a federal requirement for public institutions. It would take a proverbial act of Congress to modify it. But good luck!

Last edited:
I don't think they get the academic support, unless that recently changed.

Walk-ons get academic support across the board. They may be designated to someone new in the academic department, but they get support.

If the question comes down to cost, if we’re thinking on average a walk-on costs the university $2,500-$5,000 per year, to add an additional 50 (25 in women’s and 25 in football) we’re looking at around $250,000 extra per year. A small price to pay if we trust in Frost to get us back to consistent 10+ win seasons.

I could not disagree with this more. If nothing else the extra players can be used in drills to block and dig. I coached a fairly successful HS Volley ball team here in MD and our unit team in the Marine Corps. On Both I had 25 - 30 people. The HS team had one assistant. I believe that JC has 4. I do not think adding 3 will hurt him. The potential upside of finding a late bloomer far outshines the negatives. Add to that the fact that girls in most sports have no illusions of going pro and making millions. So far fewer egos to stroke.
So why doesn't Cook have more than 1 or 2 walk-ons on his squad?

I suspect that the talent difference between #12 (scholarship) and #14 or #15 walk-on is huge. This is the pre-eminent woman's volleyball program in the nation. The #12 player would likely be starting at other D1 universities. Attracting a walk-on means finding someone who's willing to give up a scholarship as well as likely significant playing time elsewhere is pretty difficult. If that walk-on isn't talented enough to give up a scholarship and playing time then their talent isn't good enough to compete. At the high school level the talent difference between #12 and #20 is probably not too severe.

So why doesn't Cook have more than 1 or 2 walk-ons on his squad?

I suspect that the talent difference between #12 (scholarship) and #14 or #15 walk-on is huge. This is the pre-eminent woman's volleyball program in the nation. The #12 player would likely be starting at other D1 universities. Attracting a walk-on means finding someone who's willing to give up a scholarship as well as likely significant playing time elsewhere is pretty difficult. If that walk-on isn't talented enough to give up a scholarship and playing time then their talent isn't good enough to compete. At the high school level the talent difference between #12 and #20 is probably not too severe.
Maybe previous administrations did not allow him to have more.

Walk-ons get academic support across the board. They may be designated to someone new in the academic department, but they get support.

If the question comes down to cost, if we’re thinking on average a walk-on costs the university $2,500-$5,000 per year, to add an additional 50 (25 in women’s and 25 in football) we’re looking at around $250,000 extra per year. A small price to pay if we trust in Frost to get us back to consistent 10+ win seasons.
I suspect even without Frost's desired increase in headcount that the athletic program is struggling with Title IX ratio's. This isn't about adding 25 football players and 25 women walk-ons and all things being equal ... its probably about exasperating a situation that already may be tenuous. And again where are you going to find programs that can absorbed an additional 25 women? Might be tougher than you think.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back