• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Morning practices confirmed

What is the "benefit" to be a walkon?
Opportunies for:
- playing time, which could lead to a professional career
- training from top caliber college coaching staff
- competition with scholarship players
- greater access to facilities
- can eat at training table (though they may have to buy their meals).
- realizing lifelong dream for some
- greater access to college babes than the ordinary schmoe.

Last edited:

Food, academic support,yada yada. All of the stuff above and beyond what their tuition pays for.

So as an institution that receives federal $$, they have to show evidence of compliance in a variety of areas, incl. Title IX

Last edited:
Maybe. We need a bureaucrat familiar with federal programs to chime in. “No gender based discrimination “ seems like a fairly low bar, but we don’t know how that gets operationalized.
I've heard Bill Moos talk about it a couple of times on Sports Nightly. The watered down version if I understand it correctly is basically there needs to be approximately the same number of male student athletes, scholly & non-scholly, as female student athletes in all sports combined. It goes a bit deeper but that is the gist of it.

Maybe. We need a bureaucrat familiar with federal programs to chime in. “No gender based discrimination “ seems like a fairly low bar, but we don’t know how that gets operationalized.
And no I'm not the bolded but I do my own taxes, if that qualifies. :Biggrin:

Last edited:
I've heard Bill Moos talk about it a couple of times on Sports Nightly. The watered down version if I understand it correctly is basically there needs to be approximately the same number of male student athletes, scholly & non-scholly, as female student athletes in all sports combined. It goes a bit deeper but that is the gist of it.

The same NUMBER? That seems impossible given that we are looking for around 150 (85 schollie, 65 walkon) in men's football alone. In my naive mind, I was thinking the same proportion of schollie/walkon. There just aren't that many female team sports to get to those numbers, are there?

Last edited:

So what you are saying, is that in order to better comply with Title IX, and improve opportunities for all, NU needs to start a Lingerie Football Team!

The same NUMBER? That seems impossible given that we are looking for around 150 (85 schollie, 65 walkon) in men's football alone. In my naive mind, I was thinking the same proportion of schollie/walkon. There just aren't that many female team sports to get to those numbers, are there?
We are already somewhere around 120-125 so the way I read it if we want to get to 150 we need a combo of adding 30 female student athletes OR lose 30 male student athletes, across all sports.

We are already somewhere around 120-125 so the way I read it if we want to get to 150 we need a combo of adding 30 female student athletes OR lose 30 male student athletes, across all sports.

Ah...that’s the solution- modern math!!!

Correct. Even in D3 institutions with no athletic scholarships the numbers need to be at least even. I know there were some pretty good athletes cut from programs that could have helped at those schools to keep numbers down.

There are 12 women’s teams. Simply adding 3-4 more walk-ons per team over time gets us to that number. As Frost has said, it won’t be done right away. But to give the coaches for women’s sports the green light to grab 3-4 more worthy players, my assumption is they would be all about it, and their programs would benefit as well.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back