• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Morning practices confirmed

So why doesn't Cook have more than 1 or 2 walk-ons on his squad?

I suspect that the talent difference between #12 (scholarship) and #14 or #15 walk-on is huge. This is the pre-eminent woman's volleyball program in the nation. The #12 player would likely be starting at other D1 universities. Attracting a walk-on means finding someone who's willing to give up a scholarship as well as likely significant playing time elsewhere is pretty difficult. If that walk-on isn't talented enough to give up a scholarship and playing time then their talent isn't good enough to compete. At the high school level the talent difference between #12 and #20 is probably not too severe.

I don’t see how the VB example is any different from FB back in the Osborne days (Title IX has been in place since 1972 but I don’t know whether enforcement was the same back then). Football walkons at Nebraska were passing on scholarship offers from other schools then, too, particularly the in-state players. Some developed and started at NU, others earned bit roles, and still others couldn’t crack the two or three deep, but cracked heads in practice to make those above them better.

Last edited:

I suspect even without Frost's desired increase in headcount that the athletic program is struggling with Title IX ratio's. This isn't about adding 25 football players and 25 women walk-ons and all things being equal ... its probably about exasperating a situation that already may be tenuous. And again where are you going to find programs that can absorbed an additional 25 women? Might be tougher than you think.

Women’s track and field + cross country. Look at Gary Pepin’s track record for developing in state talent.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back