• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Morning practices confirmed

I belebel another thread touched on this, the u can survey current students to determine the proportion of interest between males and females. If 60 percent of males wish to participate as walkns but only 30 percent of females wish to participate as walkons, that gives the university some flexibility and allows for men participants to be great than the female

There are 12 women’s teams. Simply adding 3-4 more walk-ons per team over time gets us to that number. As Frost has said, it won’t be done right away. But to give the coaches for women’s sports the green light to grab 3-4 more worthy players, my assumption is they would be all about it, and their programs would benefit as well.
Not so sure ... John Cook has 14 players on his roster. 12 are on scholarship. He might not want 3 more players because (a) might make practicing with that many difficult and (b) the talent drop-off is probably extremely significant between #12 and #15

Opportunies for:
- playing time, which could lead to a professional career
- training from top caliber college coaching staff
- competition with scholarship players
- greater access to facilities
- can eat at training table (though they may have to buy their meals).
- realizing lifelong dream for some
- greater access to college babes than the ordinary schmoe.
- academic support, scheduling and counseling
- athletic apparel
- pathway/in-roads to future career in coaching, training ...
- relationships and connections with coaches, administration that can prove to be valuable

Not so sure ... John Cook has 14 players on his roster. 12 are on scholarship. He might not want 3 more players because (a) might make practicing with that many difficult and (b) the talent drop-off is probably extremely significant between #12 and #15
I could not disagree with this more. If nothing else the extra players can be used in drills to block and dig. I coached a fairly successful HS Volley ball team here in MD and our unit team in the Marine Corps. On Both I had 25 - 30 people. The HS team had one assistant. I believe that JC has 4. I do not think adding 3 will hurt him. The potential upside of finding a late bloomer far outshines the negatives. Add to that the fact that girls in most sports have no illusions of going pro and making millions. So far fewer egos to stroke.

I am telling you guys, at womens field hockey, it is already a big 10 sport, and it is cheap, who cares if they are not good. There is about 20 right there.

Is "opportunities" the key word?

I mean if we say "We want 100 new women's team walkons. Come and sign up!"

But when they don't get that many to actually come and sign up and put in the effort, at least they had the opportunity?

I had also read it was somewhat dependent on the male/female ratio of the student body....does that factor in at all? Or does it apply only to athletic team participation.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back