• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Moos

A bit back on topic: This was just released by OWH. Tuesday afternoon, Nebraska A.D. Bill Moos said in an interview with The World-Herald that rumors of his firing and misuse of alcohol in any setting “have no merit.”

After nearly seven pages, not sure if this thread is about Moos, Miles, Erstad or something else.

Just a little :Stirthepot: ... tell Bill, ‘Bob Devaney says to meet him at Misty’s.’

Essentially, the BigTen likes to look at themselves as an academics first conference. What handcuffs us is the fact that in a sport where you can not only go pro early after your junior year, but you can get drafted out of high school. In places like the SEC, Pac12, ACC, Big12, the baseball programs did not have to be at their scholarship number of roughly 12 until the start of spring semester when their sport started. In the B1G, you could never go over your number. You had to wait to allocate scholarships until that person either graduated, or signed with an MLB team. So there are two examples I always give. Think if we knew Randy Gregory, or someone was leaving in football, but we couldn't backfill until they signed? You're a scholarship down before the season even starts unless you get grad transfers. To further illustrate, let's say Jesse WIlkening tells Darin Erstad, "coach, i'm getting projections between round 10-20, i'm going out no matter what. Make sure you have a replacement for me." We CAN NOT give his scholarship away until he signs. Further, if we are going after a kid in high school that is getting MLB looks, if we offer a scholarship and he accepts, we can not "back fill" his spot. So the other example I always give is Arkansas, who turned over their entire 35 man roster in less than 2 recruiting classes, a place like Nebraska with these rules from the B1G, we didn't turn our roster over until year 5. This lets a place like Arkansas not only be able to be wrong and cut kids after fall camp, but allows them to sign better players out of high school. For example, Stobbe out of Millard West was being courted by Erstad and Van Horn. Van Horn can step up and give him a 75% scholarship, Erstad can't go that high, because if the kid goes pro, that money is "tied up" without the kid ever playing an inning for you. Whereas a place like Arkansas can give 75% to Stobbe, then split that up between 2 or 3 kids with "lesser talent" and find out who is best, then cut the rest once fall ball is over. Coincidentally, Stobbe signs with Arkansas and everyone in Nebraska thinks Erstad is "trying to get the local discount" where that is just not true. Luckily, the B1G has given a +2 the last two years. And while that still isn't anywhere close to the other conferences, it's giving us better options. We have gone from 5-8 players a year being recruited, to 10 players in the 2018 and 2019 classes and the ability to go after some "bigger fish", as we just signed two guys that were drafted in the 2018 class because we could "back fill" with the +2.

To go one step further, we all heard the rumors about how Eichorst wouldn't let Riley recruit JUCO, or certainly limited who he could go after. That wasn't just for football. Erstad was told who he could recruit from JUCO as well, and JUCO baseball is much different than football, where kids who qualified go there more frequently to try and get the D1 offer. We quite literally were a mid-major conference, with scholarship restrictions that other conferences didn't have, that played in the cold for baseball, and had an AD restricting even further who you can recruit. The Sun Belt in football is better than the B1G in baseball was a couple years ago. Again, things are changing a bit with the +2 and a new AD. To quote a former national coach of the year in the Pac-12:
"ADs can say they want to be relevant nationally, but if you are in a conference that handcuffs you and doesn't let you account for the draft when not only juniors are eligible but high school players, you will never be relevant."

So then we have a coach that had to deal with all of that. People thinking back to our 7 year run in the Big12 with no restrictions, under a great AD, and under a great head coach, and they can't get past what we used to be. Fortunately people in the know see it much differently. Darin Erstad was a finalist for the Los Angeles Dodgers gig before withdrawing his name. Then followed that up with a conference runner-up finish. Then followed that up with a conference championship and a trophy to go along with Coach of the Year honors. Then last year we don't make the tournament which people are mad about, which I get. But read this paragraph for the last 3 years. Turns down the Los Angeles Dodgers, conference Title, Conference Runner-up, Regionals twice, Coach of the Year once, and all this while dealing with the handicaps i've listed above. And Nebraska deserves better? Delusional. We are just where we need to be. Anxious to see if we can get over the hump now with an unreal 2018 recruiting class that made it to campus. Gotta win some postseason games this year.
Did not know the B1G did this with baseball...disappointing. Thanks for clarification as I support all Big Red but don’t follow it all religiously (baseball) like football. It’s frutrating the B1G has different standards than other conferences that hamper our sports potential like 9 conf games opposed to 8 or the requirement to hold full 4 yr scholarships unlike the $EC’s 1 yr scholarships. I’m not saying the 9 conf games or 4 yr schollies are wrong, just that the NCAA needs to even the playing field or the B1G needs to adjust.

Can we just accept that Nebrasketball will never compete for B1G titles? Find a relatively inexpensive coach who can get us into the tourney every couple of years and maybe win a game. Expecting any more than that at DONU is crazy.
Respectfully disagree. With teams that have such a small roster, pony up for a top coach and it’s entirely possible. We already have nice facilities to go along with it. It’s not like you have to be in a recruiting hotbed otherwise Kansas would suck. I’m not saying we’d be in the hunt for B1G title every year just cause of how tough the conference is, but with the right prieces we could certainly be competitive.

Last edited:

Maybe we should just bring TO back as the Interim AD if they can Moos. That way he can get the basketball and baseball situations resolved.

That's where my issue is with myself. I give Erstad a pass knowing what I know (it's getting better, I think you will be able to start paying attention in the next year or two). But why was I not holding Miles to a higher standard? Why did I acknowledge the conference move for baseball was a death sentence, but didn't acknowledge being in the B1G now should have helped basketball?

I think Miles is done and think he got enough time. He had two teams that should have won tourney games, and if it doesn't happen this year, it probably won't.

Miles at 3-7 in the conference after tonight, losing 6 of the last 8. He'll have to go 3-7 in the last 10 to maintain an overall winning record. And this was supposed to be a top quarter B1G team. Ugh.

qcF6SO44yShQQ.gif
:Cheers: to your future Moos

Listen to him making all these wild ass proclamations like tOSU and Michigan are running scared. Then has to back pedal a few days later. Proclaims NU’s facilities are 9th or 10th in league? C’mon that sounds like a politician we all know. He’s as phony as they come and NU fans are so desperate they overlook everything. He’s not going to last long term and if he’s run afoul of SF (and I don’t know this to be true) but if it’s happened, he won’t make till opening weekend.

And foreclosed on your family farm, stole your girlfriend and used to knock your books out of your hand walking the halls in high school? Pure evil that man!

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back