• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Minnesota Week Practice Thread: 30 August: Depart For Minnesota

I'm surprised by the comment about not fair catching kick offs. The whole reason for the fair catch rule is to minimize injuries, and we can ill afford to lose our return guys to injury. Plus, it seems like you usually don't make it past the 25 on your return, and even when you do there's probably a holding penalty that backs you up. I'll be interested to see how Rhule's approach plays out.
I’m not surprised. As of right now Emmet Johnson and Ramir Johnson are our two main KO return guys. While losing both of them might be a problem for depth, losing one probably wouldn’t have much negative effect on the offense.

Special teams plays offer unique opportunities to flip the field and to hurt the opponent with sudden, momentum swinging plays. KO returns can be particularly large as momentum changers. I know, turnovers can occur and things may not go in your favor. But if you aggressively pursue big plays in the return game, you scheme for it, you put good players in position to make plays and you make the other team prepare for it a lot of good things can happen.

I like the aggressive approach to gaining advantage over your opponent. I’m very happy that Rhule prefers to have his players get out there and “play football”.

Last edited:

I like the bravado and confidence part of it.

That doesn't mean I won't howl like a banshee the first time one of the Johnsons gets drilled at the 14 yard line.
They get drilled on the 14 it means we didn’t scheme or execute properly. I think you’ll see a lot of guys on the 2-deep on special teams. I think they’ll line up and execute like they’ve practiced their roles to a high number of reps, and have competed relentlessly to gain their positions on special teams. The previous coaching staff neglected and frankly disrespected special teams as an important part of winning football. I couldn’t be happier to see that Rhule and his staff won’t repeat that.

I like the bravado and confidence part of it.

That doesn't mean I won't howl like a banshee the first time one of the Johnsons gets drilled at the 14 yard line.

Everyone likes bravado and confidence when it works. But taking unnecessary risks can be a losing strategy.

Remember when Oregon used to like to go for 2 after each touchdown just to show that they could rub it into an opponent? They did that to us against our first HCMR and took an 8-0 lead. Unfortunately for them, it didn't work after any of their other four touchdowns and they lost 35-32 in a game that would have been 35-35 if they had kicked all of their extra points.

Last edited:
I’m not surprised. As of right now Emmet Johnson and Ramir Johnson are our two main KO return guys. While losing both of them might be a problem for depth, losing one probably wouldn’t have much negative effect on the offense.

Special teams plays offer unique opportunities to flip the field and to hurt the opponent with sudden, momentum swinging plays. KO returns can be particularly large as momentum changers. I know, turnovers can occur and things may not go in your favor. But if you aggressively pursue big plays in the return game, you scheme for it, you put good players in position to make plays and you make the other team prepare for it a lot of good things can happen.

I like the aggressive approach to gaining advantage over your opponent. I’m very happy that Rhule prefers to have his players get out there and “play football”.
I'd agree and also note that good kickoff returns help take the pressure off your offense and defense. If you are starting a drive from the 40 instead of the 25, that a first down or two less to get into scoring position (FG/TD). If you end up having to punt, you are more likely to pin the opposing offense deep, which puts your D in better situations.

Feels like the last few years we've always been blown out in the "Average Starting Field Position" battle. Constantly pinned deep on offense, defending short field on defense.

I'm surprised by the comment about not fair catching kick offs. The whole reason for the fair catch rule is to minimize injuries, and we can ill afford to lose our return guys to injury. Plus, it seems like you usually don't make it past the 25 on your return, and even when you do there's probably a holding penalty that backs you up. I'll be interested to see how Rhule's approach plays out.
I suspect "no fair catching" means that we won't field kicks at the 10 on a fair catch. It makes sense to try and return the shorter kicks, because the risk is minimal on field position. I still think you'll see us "take a knee" on kicks fielded in the end zone.

At the minimum, I want opposing teams having to consider playing their better guys against us on special teams, or potentially pay the price. We may not get past the 25 often, but as long as we are close, it will pay for itself when we are able to convert those kicks into better field position.

Interesting link: here. This shows the data on how often each starting field position ends in a specific result. Drives starting on the 25 end in a scoring opportunity (FG attempt/TD) 35% of the time. When you make it to the 30, that jumps up to 39.1%. If you get to the 40, it is 45.3% of the time. My guess is that he is looking at the gamble and realizing the reward might be worth the risk.

I suspect "no fair catching" means that we won't field kicks at the 10 on a fair catch. It makes sense to try and return the shorter kicks, because the risk is minimal on field position. I still think you'll see us "take a knee" on kicks fielded in the end zone.

At the minimum, I want opposing teams having to consider playing their better guys against us on special teams, or potentially pay the price. We may not get past the 25 often, but as long as we are close, it will pay for itself when we are able to convert those kicks into better field position.

Interesting link: here. This shows the data on how often each starting field position ends in a specific result. Drives starting on the 25 end in a scoring opportunity (FG attempt/TD) 35% of the time. When you make it to the 30, that jumps up to 39.1%. If you get to the 40, it is 45.3% of the time. My guess is that he is looking at the gamble and realizing the reward might be worth the risk.
An honest evaluation of your ability to be successful on kick returns is paramount. I trust that is what is occurring here. Not just bravado.

An honest evaluation of your ability to be successful on kick returns is paramount. I trust that is what is occurring here. Not just bravado.
You'd like to think he'd pivot if we are unable to do well on kick returns. Like you said, hopefully this is showing that he has confidence that we can and will do well in this facet.

I personally love the message he is sending the team here. To me he is selling belief in them, their toughness, their conditioning and his no fear culture. I also believe his thought that returns can really turn a game is spot on and worth the risk of starting on the 18 vs the 25. Turnovers and injuries are inevitable, but can happen on any play. I'm in.
I really like the idea of returning kicks. Chance for some big game changing plays. You have to be aggressive and not give up on a 1/3 of the game
I think my hesitancy is that our return game has sucked. The fair catch has been the better option, by far. Here's to changing the narrative
I agree on the messaging but it cannot be black and white either … if the kick is in the air X seconds then fair catch. If we have a left hand return on and they kick it to the other side then fair catch. If we are leading with < 2 minutes on the clock then fair catch.

You also can’t put Santino Panico back there and expect results.

We cannot become what we were … predictable … we have to make good decisions. My only wish is that our average starting positions on KOs is 25 yard line or better.

Last edited:

The other point is we were usually on the losing end of these kind of plays with FHCSF.

Being risk adverse is a fine line … it usually results in less mistakes but it also doesn’t allow for positive plays either.

I do have a question …. Nouili is the projected starting RG. Wasn’t he the LG 2 years ago?

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back