• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Minnesota Week Practice Thread: 30 August: Depart For Minnesota

I'm surprised by the comment about not fair catching kick offs. The whole reason for the fair catch rule is to minimize injuries, and we can ill afford to lose our return guys to injury. Plus, it seems like you usually don't make it past the 25 on your return, and even when you do there's probably a holding penalty that backs you up. I'll be interested to see how Rhule's approach plays out.
I tend to agree, but Rhule seems so thoughtful on everything, I'm gonna give the dude space to prove me wrong.

I'm surprised by the comment about not fair catching kick offs. The whole reason for the fair catch rule is to minimize injuries, and we can ill afford to lose our return guys to injury. Plus, it seems like you usually don't make it past the 25 on your return, and even when you do there's probably a holding penalty that backs you up. I'll be interested to see how Rhule's approach plays out.
We put our good guys on returns, if the other team doesn't reciprocate advantage us. If they don't spend time on STs, advantage us. If we don't use what we have, well we've seen how that goes

Having watched everything that HCMR has done to date, this comes as no surprise at all.

I see what you are saying, but having fair catches for at least the last 5 years has been extremely annoying, we can't expect to flip the field everytime without some good returns.

I personally love the message he is sending the team here. To me he is selling belief in them, their toughness, their conditioning and his no fear culture. I also believe his thought that returns can really turn a game is spot on and worth the risk of starting on the 18 vs the 25. Turnovers and injuries are inevitable, but can happen on any play. I'm in.

I think my hesitancy is that our return game has sucked. The fair catch has been the better option, by far. Here's to changing the narrative

I agree. Absent an abnormally strong return game, the fair catch on a kick-off is almost always a better option. I would be happy to be wrong on this, but statistically I don't think I am. Maybe Rhule thinks we will have a strong kick-off return game this year, and if so, I hope he's right.

For what it's worth, I think punts are different. Generally, it makes sense to return a punt if you aren't going to get hit a millisecond after catching it. And our lack of a good punt return game has been a real problem in recent years.

Last edited:
I think my hesitancy is that our return game has sucked. The fair catch has been the better option, by far. Here's to changing the narrative
The only thing to fear is.....
We want to have a chance in games to have great returns.
I know there's teams that have fallen into this fair catch strategy, some like the bluffs don't have a STs coordinator, we've been victim of both not having that coach and fair catching.
To me, this is like playing the wishbone today on STs, teams just don't see it that often.

Rhule said "We're not going to fair catch kickoffs . . . I don't believe in it. We're going to play special teams and return it."

Only based on past blocking performances, I am a little queasy about this.

Last edited:

I like it. I am not sure I would ever say we are not going to fair catch any kickoffs, but I like the idea. I think Rhule truly has a "next person up" mentality. Which is also playing with no fear. Players are going to get hurt. Whether you are careful or not, guys get nicked up playing football.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back