• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

If YSU fires Bo...

Is this total yards, rushing defense, scoring defensive ranking, defensive efficiency, etc....... what ranking is it exactly

Also what are the offensive rankings of the teams that the defenses faced......

And what is your reason for choosing not to put 2008, 2009, & 2010's defenses up. Does he not get credit for those 3 years?

If you are going try to make an argument with rankings rather than eye test and remembering the moments, you gotta look at more than just a single ranking.

Link please........

I don't remember looking at Pelini's feeling like the biggest problem on a Pelini squad was it's defense any year other than maybe 2012 (horrible tackling). Pelini always had some issues involving the other side of the ball and/or the special teams unit.

You are joking right? You, in this very thread said please point to one defense since Bo that was better than his worst. I pointed out one that was better than 4 of his according to a common measure of defenses. Why leave out 2008-2010? Because I was answering your question. I’m not making an argument, I am responding directly to you.

The ranking is called total defense, you can look it up yourself if you want. Or find some statistic that you think is indicative of a good defense. I’m sure you can find a data point that supports your position. Besides I wouldn’t want to set you off again by answering another one of your questions.

His behavior was overblown so much it was irritating. I've seen much worse from guys like Les Miles, Urban Myer, Nick Saban, etc...... Urban Myer once threw his headset and it hit someone just a few feet from him on national television. You got coaches in other sports like Greg Popavich who gets ejected for going after a ref at least 3 or 4 times a season. But we want to act like Pelini's behavior is soooooooo un-Nebraska.....as if the programs history was squeaky clean. There was a certain legendary coach who got arrested with his players......Pelini committed no violations, he broke no laws, and though he didn't bring us a championship, his teams always played another game after Dec 1st.

& Please........How great was Suh before the arrival of Pelini. Let's not act like Suh was this All American, Heisman finalist caliber player in 07. Pelini consistently had a solid defense. Obviously none as solid as the 09 unit, but how many units in our history measure up to 09......2010's defense with no Suh was a monsterous unit as well. As a matter of fact, the only unit I was consistently frustrated with throughout the season under Pelini was 2012. But the I believe was still ranked pretty high on pass defense efficiency.

Pelini's biggest flaw was never winning the big game.....the conference championship games. He got extremely close two years in a row in '09 and '10. Closer than any Husker coach since the start of the millennium. But close doesn't count. I don't knock choosing to move on from Bo. But when the powers that be decided that Mike Riley was the best option to replace him........it just showcase the reality or lack of that many associated with the program had with their expectations of Bo........Especially when I listened to people trying to make a case that Riley was a great hire........
Pelini’s behavior was despicable, IMO.

It is not just the program. I have lived in Nebraska for most of my adult life. I am now 75 years old. I have traveled to many sports venues outside of this state and visited over 40 foreign countries. Nebraska, by far, exhibits the best cultural behavior of courtesy and compassion, than any other place I have visited. Sorry you live in a world of negative perceptions.
Don't act like you know the world I live in just because I disagree with your opinion........ Respect to you for traveling to "40 foreign countries".......yada yada yada.......but that has nothing to do with what I stated. If I was only talking about the program I'd of said "Huskers".....I'm talking about Nebraskans. I haven't traveled as much as you have outside of the country but I've traveled quite a bit throughout the U.S. Only been to a few foreign countries......but visiting countries, states, cities, etc...... doesn't make me a professional on the character of majority of the people. I can only make an assessment of the people I interact with.

I've been in Nebraska for quite a while now. Lived in Omaha, Bellevue, & Lincoln at different points of the last 20 years. I've met an ABUNDANCE of great individuals. But I've also met a few people that any respectable individual would have some choice words in describing. That is no different from the atmosphere back home (San Antonio) or when I lived in Tallahassee,FL or Lexington, KY, or Tulsa,OK.

My point is people are......people......EVERYWHERE. Views may be different base on environment, experience, upbringing, etc......by characters mirror each other regardless of anywhere you are in the world. Nebraska isn't immune to the reality of some people are just..........well, not nice people........

You are joking right? You, in this very thread said please point to one defense since Bo that was better than his worst. I pointed out one that was better than 4 of his according to a common measure of defenses. Why leave out 2008-2010? Because I was answering your question. I’m not making an argument, I am responding directly to you.

The ranking is called total defense, you can look it up yourself if you want. Or find some statistic that you think is indicative of a good defense. I’m sure you can find a data point that supports your position. Besides I wouldn’t want to set you off again by answering another one of your questions.
Total defense has a lot to do with competition as well, thus the reason I asked for the link. 2016's defense was better than 4 of Pelini's defenses........sorry, a total defensive ranking doesn't cause me to forget that we faced 6 teams that finished the regular season at .500 or below in our first 7 games then struggled vs teams with a pulse. Iowa beat us by 30, Ohio St beat us by 60........ Nice try though. Riley never had a defense that one could be dependent on.

Pelini’s behavior was despicable, IMO.
That's cool. I respect that. My opinion is...... It didn't bother me because his frustration was normally from bad calls, or a bad play on the field.

Only people who complained about his demeanor were individuals who were never in the locker room with the guys that mattered to him.

As I pointed out, if the coach doesn't bring any violations to the program, doesn't break any laws, has the respect and support of the kids he's coaching, etc....... I'm okay with him. Besides.......curse words don't ruffle my feathers. Had that AD supported him in the same manner he supported Mike Riley, maybe the disgraceful remarks at the end of his tenure never occur. (I did not like how he exited though.......)

Total defense has a lot to do with competition as well, thus the reason I asked for the link. 2016's defense was better than 4 of Pelini's defenses........sorry, a total defensive ranking doesn't cause me to forget that we faced 6 teams that finished the regular season at .500 or below in our first 7 games then struggled vs teams with a pulse. Iowa beat us by 30, Ohio St beat us by 60........ Nice try though. Riley never had a defense that one could be dependent on.
“Nice try” with what? You asked for something, I provided info. Maybe your posts are meant to be rhetorical?

As to the actual data you are either using a weak debate trick, when confronted with facts you don’t like change the question, or you aren’t able to read what you wrote and understand what you said.

So you might as well declare victory in whatever argument you think you are having or enroll in the zoolander center for kids who don’t read good and see if that helps. Either way I wish you luck.

Last edited:
That's cool. I respect that. My opinion is...... It didn't bother me because his frustration was normally from bad calls, or a bad play on the field.

Only people who complained about his demeanor were individuals who were never in the locker room with the guys that mattered to him.

As I pointed out, if the coach doesn't bring any violations to the program, doesn't break any laws, has the respect and support of the kids he's coaching, etc....... I'm okay with him. Besides.......curse words don't ruffle my feathers. Had that AD supported him in the same manner he supported Mike Riley, maybe the disgraceful remarks at the end of his tenure never occur. (I did not like how he exited though.......)
You are kidding, right?

spin-doctors-longview-squirrel-fest-95%20-POZA.jpeg

I'd venture to guess that we all agree Bo is the most polarizing Head Coach Nebraska has had.

Though, knowing our message board, I am sure a few on here would want to argue that point to death as well.
I would actually 100% disagree with this statement. He was far from being the most polarizing. Bill Callahan and Mike Riley were hated from the beginning by half the crowd. Anyone want to recall the throat slash incident Callahan was involved in? Tell me a single thing that he did to make the program look good. Bo was around for the Penn State Player Prayer, the Jack Hoffman stuff and quite a few other very outstanding and popular things. What did Riley do? Well he brought back a lady to talk to our players about her rape incidident by players at his former school that he failed to follow up on and investigate.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back