• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

If YSU fires Bo...

Hell, point to a team that’s been better? Hell with just the defense. Hasn’t been one close.
Which is the thing that bothers me. I never felt like Pelini was a terrible coach. I think he had some issues as far as his choice of assistants, and maybe a couple other things, but he wasn't a bad ball coach. I was definitely one who was happy to be one of the 4 schools to win no less than 9 games a season during his tenor and felt that was a decent accomplishment. Many laughed that off, even a few claimed a monkey can do that in Lincoln.....yet since he's been gone, only one season have we had a winning season and it was off the strength of Pelini's last QB that people ridiculed because he wasn't the most accurate player in history.

Could we not find any monkeys during the hiring process when we chose Mike Riley? Should Frost hire a monkey as a GA to help out the defense?

That's BS.......Nebraska's definitely do not walk on water. Don't let your personal love of the program cloud the view of reality of PEOPLE everywhere, including Nebraska. I wouldn't say it's most or even close to half, but it is definitely enough to humble yourself before pointing your finger at another individual.

Bo's last 4 defenses by total defense rank
2011 37th
2012 35th
2013 39th
2014 53rd

The 2016 defense was 30th.

Bo's last defense was 19 spots better than where the 2019 defense stands today.
Who was the coordinator for the 2016 defense?

4z5a.gif

Last edited:

I'm referring to his behavior. I'm sure he would be a decent DC with special players, such as Suh.

Once Suh left he was just ok.

His behavior was overblown so much it was irritating. I've seen much worse from guys like Les Miles, Urban Myer, Nick Saban, etc...... Urban Myer once threw his headset and it hit someone just a few feet from him on national television. You got coaches in other sports like Greg Popavich who gets ejected for going after a ref at least 3 or 4 times a season. But we want to act like Pelini's behavior is soooooooo un-Nebraska.....as if the programs history was squeaky clean. There was a certain legendary coach who got arrested with his players......Pelini committed no violations, he broke no laws, and though he didn't bring us a championship, his teams always played another game after Dec 1st.

& Please........How great was Suh before the arrival of Pelini. Let's not act like Suh was this All American, Heisman finalist caliber player in 07. Pelini consistently had a solid defense. Obviously none as solid as the 09 unit, but how many units in our history measure up to 09......2010's defense with no Suh was a monsterous unit as well. As a matter of fact, the only unit I was consistently frustrated with throughout the season under Pelini was 2012. But the I believe was still ranked pretty high on pass defense efficiency.

Pelini's biggest flaw was never winning the big game.....the conference championship games. He got extremely close two years in a row in '09 and '10. Closer than any Husker coach since the start of the millennium. But close doesn't count. I don't knock choosing to move on from Bo. But when the powers that be decided that Mike Riley was the best option to replace him........it just showcase the reality or lack of that many associated with the program had with their expectations of Bo........Especially when I listened to people trying to make a case that Riley was a great hire........

Bo's last 4 defenses by total defense rank
2011 37th
2012 35th
2013 39th
2014 53rd

The 2016 defense was 30th.

Bo's last defense was 19 spots better than where the 2019 defense stands today.
Is this total yards, rushing defense, scoring defensive ranking, defensive efficiency, etc....... what ranking is it exactly

Also what are the offensive rankings of the teams that the defenses faced......

And what is your reason for choosing not to put 2008, 2009, & 2010's defenses up. Does he not get credit for those 3 years?

If you are going try to make an argument with rankings rather than eye test and remembering the moments, you gotta look at more than just a single ranking.

Link please........

I don't remember looking at Pelini's feeling like the biggest problem on a Pelini squad was it's defense any year other than maybe 2012 (horrible tackling). Pelini always had some issues involving the other side of the ball and/or the special teams unit.

Last edited:
Which is the thing that bothers me. I never felt like Pelini was a terrible coach. I think he had some issues as far as his choice of assistants, and maybe a couple other things, but he wasn't a bad ball coach. I was definitely one who was happy to be one of the 4 schools to win no less than 9 games a season during his tenor and felt that was a decent accomplishment. Many laughed that off, even a few claimed a monkey can do that in Lincoln.....yet since he's been gone, only one season have we had a winning season and it was off the strength of Pelini's last QB that people ridiculed because he wasn't the most accurate player in history.

Could we not find any monkeys during the hiring process when we chose Mike Riley? Should Frost hire a monkey as a GA to help out the defense?

Only if it is trained.

That's BS.......Nebraska's definitely do not walk on water. Don't let your personal love of the program cloud the view of reality of PEOPLE everywhere, including Nebraska. I wouldn't say it's most or even close to half, but it is definitely enough to humble yourself before pointing your finger at another individual.
It is not just the program. I have lived in Nebraska for most of my adult life. I am now 75 years old. I have traveled to many sports venues outside of this state and visited over 40 foreign countries. Nebraska, by far, exhibits the best cultural behavior of courtesy and compassion, than any other place I have visited. Sorry you live in a world of negative perceptions.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back