• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Hip Drop Tackle

I'm definitely in the minority here but I 100% support this rule. As someone who has purposely tackled people this way with bad intentions, I'm not proud of it. I also used to earhole/blindside defenseless players every chance I got, and I'm not proud of that either. In both instances I had alternatives that weren't dirty, but that wasn't how the game was played then. This is better.

With the hip drop, it's simply avoided by falling forward or wrapping the legs from behind. There's no reason to twist your whole body weight down and snap someone's knee or ankle, and I promise that's the goal of this tackle. The hip drop is garbage.

I'm definitely in the minority here but I 100% support this rule. As someone who has purposely tackled people this way with bad intentions, I'm not proud of it. I also used to earhole/blindside defenseless players every chance I got, and I'm not proud of that either. In both instances I had alternatives that weren't dirty, but that wasn't how the game was played then. This is better.

With the hip drop, it's simply avoided by falling forward or wrapping the legs from behind. There's no reason to twist your whole body weight down and snap someone's knee or ankle, and I promise that's the goal of this tackle. The hip drop is garbage.

I'm not against safety and some of the examples I've seen do seem to indicate it's an intentional technique. But many other examples shown appear to be inertia by guys just playing the game. I'm concerned it will be difficult for officials to distinguish.

I never liked the clothesline tackle or the horse collar. I've been injured by a horse collar tackle and it sucks. Maybe this will be easy to identify and easy to call but based on what I've seen so far I'm not convinced.

The worst part will be when a defense gets to the qb on 3rd and 28 to end the game and instead this gets called because the guy pulled the qb down from behind and the game is extended because this is an automatic first down plus 15. This is a potential game changer penalty.

Last edited:
I'm not against safety and some of the examples I've seen do seem to indicate it's an intentional technique. But many other examples shown appear to be inertia by guys just playing the game. I'm concerned it will be difficult for officials to distinguish.

I never liked the clothesline tackle or the horse collar. I've been injured by a horse collar tackle and it sucks. Maybe this will be easy to identify and easy to call but based on what I've seen so far I'm not convinced.

The worst part will be when a defense gets to the qb on 3rd and 28 to end the game and instead this gets called because the guy pulled the qb down from behind and the game is extended because this is an automatic first down plus 15. This is a potential game changer penalty.
I can easily see both sides of this argument. As I have gotten older, I feel more aches and pains from things I have done in the past, and I don't want to see anyone else to feel those aches and pains (and some that are worse).

This penalty really does have the potential to be a real game changer. It will be very difficult to retrain the defense to tackle differently than what they have been trained to do all of their football lives (but not impossible). As mentioned about QB sacks, this situation definitely favors the offense.

Flag football here we come.

Last edited:
This is a new rule to protect players. It’s necessary. And will get ironed out over time, just like other illegal types of hits/tackles. If you don’t understand the difference between an illegal hip drop and rugby tackling generally, watch the videos again. And again.

If you’re still confused ask your heaviest friend to go drinking with you. Lay down on the floor. Put your legs at unnatural angles, as if you fell awkwardly. Have your friend stand on a chair, jump off, and put his full weight on your legs. If you can still walk to the bar afterwards, have him buy you a drink.

By the way, before any of you start popping off about how the game is somehow changing to be non-violent or sissy or some other ridiculous characterization, let me remind you of a few basics:

* the average life expectancy for an NFL player is 55. That’s approximately 25 years fewer than the rest of the population. That’s life expectancy = death.
* the average tenure for an NFL player is 3.3 years
* running backs, probably the position with the most to gain from this rule, average approximately $2 million/year salary, with an average tenure of approximately 2.5 years.

These guys take car-collision level hits every week. It’s no joke. Most of them don’t get to buy their way out of crippling pain. And all the money in the world doesn’t make up for not being able walk/jog at 45 and being dead at 55.

I agree. The interesting part is going to be when and how the refs enforce this. I hope they let the questionable stuff go and the only flag the obvious ones.

So because you did things with the intent of injuring people then everyone who does anything that in your imagination reminds you of it. Then they must be out to intentionally hurt people as well. Wow. Just wow.

This is a new rule to protect players. It’s necessary. And will get ironed out over time, just like other illegal types of hits/tackles. If you don’t understand the difference between an illegal hip drop and rugby tackling generally, watch the videos again. And again.

If you’re still confused ask your heaviest friend to go drinking with you. Lay down on the floor. Put your legs at unnatural angles, as if you fell awkwardly. Have your friend stand on a chair, jump off, and put his full weight on your legs. If you can still walk to the bar afterwards, have him buy you a drink.

By the way, before any of you start popping off about how the game is somehow changing to be non-violent or sissy or some other ridiculous characterization, let me remind you of a few basics:

* the average life expectancy for an NFL player is 55. That’s approximately 25 years fewer than the rest of the population. That’s life expectancy = death.
* running backs, probably the position with the most to gain from this rule, average approximately $2 million/year salary, with an average tenure of approximately 2.5 years.

These guys take car-collision level hits every week. It’s no joke. Most of them don’t get to buy their way out of crippling pain. And all the money in the world doesn’t make up for not being able walk/jog at 45 and being dead at 55.
The bolded in the first paragraph is just a ridiculous statement. Oh don't worry we will figure it out over time. Until then just live with our ridiculous misreading of the rule.

As for the last paragraph. Statistics for combat arms personnel in the military are also shorter than those of the general public. Don't believe me go drinking with a guy who doesn't like you and then have him shoot you in the face. (Just as valid as your argument about having a fat guy jump on your legs) Yet they do it without the $2mill a year. The fact is NO ONE is forcing any of these folks to do what they do. I would also say that medical procedures have gotten much better. So How old are your statistics. I supported the no high tackles rules. You can not live without a brain. Sorry but this rule is just plain stupid. Literally EVERY tackle has the potential to injure. The only way to prevent them is to do away with football.

BTW for a total of a $5mil paycheck. (2mil times 2.5 years) Get the fattest guy in the world to jump on my legs. My knees are shot from the abuse I took at the same age. I got paid less than 30 K.

Last edited:

What's the average life expectancy for a guy who played college ball but didn't make it to the NFL? In other words, how many of those 25 years lost is directly attributable to NFL play?

I'm ambivelant about the new rule but it's hard for me to believe that 3 years in the NFL takes 25 years off your life. I believe there has to other factors that account for that stat, e.g. steroid use, etc.

So because you did things with the intent of injuring people then everyone who does anything that in your imagination reminds you of it. Then they must be out to intentionally hurt people as well. Wow. Just wow.

I know it when I see it. Also, you’d be a moron to not think players have long been incentivized to tackle as devastating as possible. There are news stories about it in the league.

Last edited:
The bolded in the first paragraph is just a ridiculous statement. Oh don't worry we will figure it out over time. Until then just live with our ridiculous misreading of the rule.

As for the last paragraph. Statistics for combat arms personnel in the military are also shorter than those of the general public. Don't believe me go drinking with a guy who doesn't like you and then have him shoot you in the face. (Just as valid as your argument about having a fat guy jump on your legs) Yet they do it without the $2mill a year. The fact is NO ONE is forcing any of these folks to do what they do. I would also say that medical procedures have gotten much better. So How old are your statistics. I supported the no high tackles rules. You can not live without a brain. Sorry but this rule is just plain stupid. Literally EVERY tackle has the potential to injure. The only way to prevent them is to do away with football.

BTW for a total of a $5mil paycheck. (2mil times 2.5 years) Get the fattest guy in the world to jump on my legs. My knees are shot from the abuse I took at the same age. I got paid less than 30 K.
I’m not sure why this is such a trigger. There is a type of tackle that is hurting players disproportionately. The League is addressing it. They’ll get it figured out. The game hasn’t changed that dramatically over the years. It’s weird to me that you seem so worried about protecting players. Everyone who played got hurt. You. Me. Everyone. If you didn’t you were very fortunate. Those are choices we made. That’s history. I’m talking about right now. And I don’t care what the financial return is — if there is a deliberate type of action/tackle that causes a disproportionate number of injuries, as this does, it should be penalized.

What's the average life expectancy for a guy who played college ball but didn't make it to the NFL? In other words, how many of those 25 years lost is directly attributable to NFL play?

I'm ambivelant about the new rule but it's hard for me to believe that 3 years in the NFL takes 25 years off your life. I believe there has to other factors that account for that stat, e.g. steroid use, etc.
I saw 25 years with some other sources, but let’s be conservative and go with Harvard, which basically says 10 years. The lifespan issue is dramatic. It’s more about quality of life and the sport having rules that make sense. Rugby tackling has generally replaced prior techniques. This type of rugby tackling is a deliberate attempt to hurt someone. Is it easy to referee? Maybe not. My point is more about the need to protect from obvious injury and long-term issues. The head injuries are easy. Repeated blows = CTE. The lower body injuries are more complicated. Loss of mobility leads to other problems, which leads to a shorter lifespan. In the end, if there’s a type of action/play/tackle/whatever that leads to serious injury at a disproportionate or high rate, it should be a penalty/fine. If it takes time to figure out how to make the call, I don’t give a crap.

Yes. Also lets lookat mentally what happens. A kid goes from being poor to rich and back to poor because they do not take care of their money. How many of them choose to end their lives because they can not handle being poor a d no adoring crowds. Look at guys like LP. he would count on those lower life stats. Were his problems football related?

Yes. Also lets lookat mentally what happens. A kid goes from being poor to rich and back to poor because they do not take care of their money. How many of them choose to end their lives because they can not handle being poor a d no adoring crowds. Look at guys like LP. he would count on those lower life stats. Were his problems football related?
I don’t know. He’s a particularly difficult story because of the complexity of his situation and level of his talent. I’m not really talking about the cocktail of mental, emotional, physical, societal, racial, etc. that all play here. The fact is that football players take a physical beating. It shortens their lives and lessens the quality of their lives. I don’t care by how much. It’s a real thing. And I don’t care that they play by choice. Or for money. This type of tackle deliberately injures. Period. It should get flagged. And the guys who do it should get fined. Full stop. If it takes a while to figure out how to referee it I don’t care. That’s the balance for me. I don’t care if the refs screw it up at first or it gets called wrong for a while. I’d rather fewer guys get hurt seriously because of a deliberately dirty style of tackle. I see a tackle like that I see a friend who can’t walk to fridge to get a beer. I don’t see a 15-yard penalty that “screwed” my team. Play better. Play the right way. Play so that one call doesn’t lose it for your team.

OK so looking at the explanation and the photo. Here is the problem I see. Any tackle from the side of a tough running player has the potential to end up with this as a result. The reason is natural physics. If the defender grabs a player from the side at roughly a 90-degree angle. The offensive players momentum is going to cause the defensive players body to spin around and behind often into the legs. So, I am not sure how you prevent it from happening.
All defender has to do is keep feet on the ground. He has to lift himself up for it to be called

I don’t know. He’s a particularly difficult story because of the complexity of his situation and level of his talent. I’m not really talking about the cocktail of mental, emotional, physical, societal, racial, etc. that all play here. The fact is that football players take a physical beating. It shortens their lives and lessens the quality of their lives. I don’t care by how much. It’s a real thing. And I don’t care that they play by choice. Or for money. This type of tackle deliberately injures. Period. It should get flagged. And the guys who do it should get fined. Full stop. If it takes a while to figure out how to referee it I don’t care. That’s the balance for me. I don’t care if the refs screw it up at first or it gets called wrong for a while. I’d rather fewer guys get hurt seriously because of a deliberately dirty style of tackle. I see a tackle like that I see a friend who can’t walk to fridge to get a beer. I don’t see a 15-yard penalty that “screwed” my team. Play better. Play the right way. Play so that one call doesn’t lose it for your team.
Yep anyone remember LT and Joe Theismann? LT hip dropped on that tackle and end his career

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back