• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Hip Drop Tackle

Ironically they say in the article that this is a result of the "rugby style" tackling. Which was started to deal with the rules against high tackles. So now they can not hit high, they can not hit low, and they can not tackle at the hip. Not sure what is left?
More accurately, the article says:
The hip-drop tackling ban proposal was written to address only a subset of the rugby tackling style that has spread around the NFL in recent years, competition committee chairman Rich McKay said last week.
While Eichorst wanted rugby tackling because it was safer, I don't know that it was universally encouraged in the NFL or in college for that matter, rather than just catching on as a way to secure a tackle.
I guess I'm indifferent but I'm sure guys who carry the ball are happy with it.

Ironically they say in the article that this is a result of the "rugby style" tackling. Which was started to deal with the rules against high tackles. So now they can not hit high, they can not hit low, and they can not tackle at the hip. Not sure what is left?
Agree. That’s the dilemma. They can protect against head injuries or leg injuries but not really both. Not 100%. My opinion is that you let them play. Dirty play shows. If something over the top happens during the game or on tape after, the guys get suspended. Real suspensions. It’s big money to them. Per game paychecks so it’s a definite deterrent. But you can’t police every type of hit every play. Not practically.

It's getting to be like the pro bowl at this point. Dumb rule that no one playing wants.

Yep flag football hip drop is a very effective way to tackle one bigger than yourself

A lot of good football players where I live have switched to lacrosse, but ironically concussions are a problem in that sport too.
I have a grandson playing high school lacrosse. I was surprised to find it's almost as physical as hockey but without all the padding.

More accurately, the article says:

While Eichorst wanted rugby tackling because it was safer, I don't know that it was universally encouraged in the NFL or in college for that matter, rather than just catching on as a way to secure a tackle.
I guess I'm indifferent but I'm sure guys who carry the ball are happy with it.

We've been dealing with them for the past three years or so, while it's a current issue in the NFL right now.

'They're in their off-season, so they haven't made any final decision yet, but they've been in contact with us, and we've also had contact with the media in the United States about how we've been dealing it with here.

'We've provided as much information as we can to them. We're not constantly in contact with them, but they've reached out and we've responded. It's not just an NRL problem, it's a problem in another tackling game.

People have tackled from behind like that……..for decades.

Banning clothes line tackles was a big thing when it was introduced. Somehow we got through that. Some fans thought face protectors on helmets would cause more injuries. We got through that too. The forward pass was thought to sissify the game. We got through that too.

Banning clothes line tackles was a big thing when it was introduced. Somehow we got through that. Some fans thought face protectors on helmets would cause more injuries. We got through that too. The forward pass was thought to sissify the game. We got through that too.

Helmets actually do increase injuries. FYI. Same with stronger shoulder pads.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back