• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Hip Drop Tackle

RedStones

If you aren't on the right, you're wrong.
10 Year Member
I never heard of this but the NFL just voted to make it a 15 yard penalty.

I looked it up and it's just a tackle. Now there will be some that will argue it's a player safety concern but I think it's BS. If we eliminate every possible way a player can get hurt then there won't be a game. Imagine how long and unenjoyable the games will be now. Just about every tackle involves landing on the back of the ball carriers legs so off to the replay it will be.

This is a hip drop tackle.

Screenshot_20240325_122704_Samsung Internet.jpg

Why do people insist on ruining everything we enjoy?

I expect some of you will disagree but this is my initial reaction so have at it. Explain how I'm wrong.

Last edited:

I looked it up and it's a just tackle. Now there will be some that will argue it's a player safety concern but I think it's BS. If we eliminate every possible way a player can get hurt then there won't be a game. Imagine how long and unenjoyable the games will be now. Just about every tackle involves landing on the back of the ball carriers legs so off to the replay it will be.

View attachment 105899

I expect some of you will disagree but this is my initial reaction so have at it. Explain how I'm wrong.
Imagine being a ref.

I looked it up and it's just a tackle. Now there will be some that will argue it's a player safety concern but I think it's BS. If we eliminate every possible way a player can get hurt then there won't be a game. Imagine how long and unenjoyable the games will be now. Just about every tackle involves landing on the back of the ball carriers legs so off to the replay it will be.

View attachment 105899

There are so many things wrong with this, I don't even know where to start.

As opposed to a 'Horse Collar' tackle, where there are other options, this looks like a really bad way to create ambiguity and not accomplish what you're trying to. What if you're coming up behind a ball carrier and are fast enough to grab them by the waist.....how the hell are you going to position both yourself and the ball carrier to avoid landing on their legs? Most ball carriers aren't just going to let you move their body in a way that avoids this. They're still trying to advance the ball until they can't.

20-25X injury rate based on analysis of 20000 tackles
230 tackles with hip drop swivel last season resulted in 15 players missing time.

Pretty strong stats to justify a ban. Kind of odd that the NFLPA opposed, given a 6.5% chance of losing income or your career each time you are tackled that way.

Owners were definitely ’asking’ for this rule change. when high profile offensive players go down, it really impacts the game.. (Pollard Mahomes 2023, Andrews, Hill 2024)

20-25X injury rate based on analysis of 20000 tackles
Kind of odd that the NFLPA opposed, given a 6.5% chance of losing income or your career each time you are tackled that way.
There are more players adversely affected by this new rule (that is, all defensive players) than are positively affected by this rule (RBs and WRs).

It seems like part of the problem is there are no longer whistles blown when forward progress is stopped. Throw in pushing the ball carrier forward.

I recently rewatched the 1994 Orange Bowl, and the play before the William Floyd TD “fumble” he was blown dead without being on the ground due to lack of forward progress. And that was barely perceptible, and arguably not. Today, that would never be blown dead. It would have been TD FSU on that play.

Funny, I always thought he wasn’t down and so I never gripped about the non-fumble call.

Last edited:
I kinda like XFL kickoff rule. I believe less injuries.

"Kicker lines up at his 30-yard line, with the 10 other members of the kickoff team lining up at the opponent's 35 -- 5 yards away from the returning team. The kicker and returner are the only players who can move until the ball is fielded"

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back