• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Hip Drop Tackle

A pic of American football in the not to distant future.

gettyimages-1995469994-612x612.jpg

OK so looking at the explanation and the photo. Here is the problem I see. Any tackle from the side of a tough running player has the potential to end up with this as a result. The reason is natural physics. If the defender grabs a player from the side at roughly a 90-degree angle. The offensive players momentum is going to cause the defensive players body to spin around and behind often into the legs. So, I am not sure how you prevent it from happening.

A few things. The penalty has three elements. If all three aren’t seen by the official, they shouldn’t call it. And, it seems to be more of a post-game review and fine/suspend kind of thing.

The NFL will never kill the golden goose. The Mahomes injury scared them. They want stars on the field. Not on IR.

It just seems like this will result in a whole lot of extra reviews... slows the game down.:(
And gives them more commercials, $$$. The NFL is a joke. Football is a contact sport, err, at least it used to be. People get hurt. It’s what happens in football. It’s not mandatory to play. No one is forcing you. I mean, maybe they should think about the $$$ they pay 1 person to play, knowing he can be hurt at anytime? Geez, it’s football. Running someone down now, you’ll almost need to jump on his back, as there will be no other way. Yet another American tradition being ruined right before our eyes.

And gives them more commercials, $$$. The NFL is a joke. Football is a contact sport, err, at least it used to be. People get hurt. It’s what happens in football. It’s not mandatory to play. No one is forcing you. I mean, maybe they should think about the $$$ they pay 1 person to play, knowing he can be hurt at anytime? Geez, it’s football. Running someone down now, you’ll almost need to jump on his back, as there will be no other way. Yet another American tradition being ruined right before our eyes.
Ironically they say in the article that this is a result of the "rugby style" tackling. Which was started to deal with the rules against high tackles. So now they can not hit high, they can not hit low, and they can not tackle at the hip. Not sure what is left?

I never heard of this but the NFL just voted to make it a 15 yard penalty.

I looked it up and it's just a tackle. Now there will be some that will argue it's a player safety concern but I think it's BS. If we eliminate every possible way a player can get hurt then there won't be a game. Imagine how long and unenjoyable the games will be now. Just about every tackle involves landing on the back of the ball carriers legs so off to the replay it will be.

This is a hip drop tackle.

View attachment 105899

Why do people insist on ruining everything we enjoy?

I expect some of you will disagree but this is my initial reaction so have at it. Explain how I'm wrong.

OK so looking at the explanation and the photo. Here is the problem I see. Any tackle from the side of a tough running player has the potential to end up with this as a result. The reason is natural physics. If the defender grabs a player from the side at roughly a 90-degree angle. The offensive players momentum is going to cause the defensive players body to spin around and behind often into the legs. So, I am not sure how you prevent it from happening.
Catch and release... Or two hands touch below the waist, actually anywhere, and runner is down...

The defensive player should be allowed to let go and the ball carrier is ruled down.

The video shown indicates that nearly any tackle can result in this. It is worse than the college "targeting" rule.

Intentionally hip dropping on legs is a real problem. I think some may be over reacting. Certain players use it recklessly. Its not going to impact game that much.
I’m not worried about how it will affect those certain players nor the fans over reaction. I’m concerned with it following the path of targeting where unintentional tackles get called as penalties that could easily be the result of a runners change in direction or momentum

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back